New (Returning) Member

Hi,
I thought I’d take a moment to introduce myself, as it’s been a couple of years since I have been on this board, and to solicit some advice.
I’ve been training for several years, now age 49, and am also a personal trainer. Unfortunately, I had a gym related injury to my lower back in June of 2007, which has taken almost two years to heal, during which time I could not work out or personal train.

Physical and massage therapy have helped me a lot, but I am now starting back in the gym as if I were a complete newbie, with very light weights. It’s very humbling to know what I used to lift, and to see men lifting what I used to do. Have lost about 15lb over the last two years due to lack of exercise, (down to about 155lb on a 5’7" frame), and lost my muscle mass too.

Such is the result of years of heavy lifting and not doing anywhere near enough warm ups, stretching, core development, etc. My body could no longer handle the stressors I was putting it under, while neglecting the need for any regular conditioning. Nonetheless, I’m grateful to be back in the gym, and am now wiser and hopefully much more conscientious about how I train.

Questions: 1) I am working with a personal trainer now myself, who is doing rehab work in the gym with me, focusing on core strength development. However, I am in need of forearm and calf routines, and could use a good ab program as well. If anyone has suggestions, I would be grateful.

My apologies for this long message, but as a returning member, it’s nice to be back, and I hope to learn a lot from the men/women on this forum. Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you! best,
Lorne in Toronto

So your trainer is helping you rehab a back injury that has kept you from exercising for 2 yrs, yet he or you can’t develop a basic forearm or calf routine?

Right now, those 2 muscle groups seem like the least of your problems.

Welcome back!

Can’t help you too much with your question, except that I know most people trying to bring up their calves/forearms work them more than once a week.

Check out the DC style of doing calves. A lot of people swear by it. Some of the DC guys like Cephalic_carnage and Sentoguy might be able to help you out with that.

And hopefully we can learn from you. You said, “Such is the result of years of heavy lifting and not doing anywhere near enough warm ups, stretching, core development, etc. My body could no longer handle the stressors I was putting it under, while neglecting the need for any regular conditioning.”

What exactly do you mean by this? What would you suggest to us young ones who are hoping to have many years of heavy lifting ahead of us?

Thanks!

I hit my forearms everyday, still trying to figure out what works best for my calves.

Welcome back! I was out of commish for a few years as well with a nerve injury/new baby/long commute. I basically gave up and figured it was time to grow up and focus on work and family etc.

Luckily i woke up from my pussyitis and found a way to start lifting again and stopped making excuses. A lot of it will come back fast. Trust me.