T Nation

New Raw Bench Record

Scott Mendelson put up 715 raw today, which is even more amazing considering the nasty car wreck he was in not too long ago

does anyone really even care?? i have the utmost respect for Mendy and he is a very strong guy but I’d like to see him learn to use a shirt and challenge the big benchers.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
does anyone really even care?? i have the utmost respect for Mendy and he is a very strong guy but I’d like to see him learn to use a shirt and challenge the big benchers.[/quote]

Dude, it’s bad enough that the raw guys are constantly insisting that any lift with gear is not a “real” lift, don’t be the gear guy who insists that raw lifts are not “real” lifts. A 715 raw benchpress is frickin impressive, start hating when you can benchpress 700 raw.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
does anyone really even care?? i have the utmost respect for Mendy and he is a very strong guy but I’d like to see him learn to use a shirt and challenge the big benchers.[/quote]

yeah i believe mendy was one of the first guys to try and close in on 1000.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
does anyone really even care?? i have the utmost respect for Mendy and he is a very strong guy but I’d like to see him learn to use a shirt and challenge the big benchers.[/quote]

Are you fucking kidding? 715lbs is impressive for a squat, let alone a bench press. Give it the respect it deserves. Is this any less impressive than Gene’s 1005lbs forklift bench? I personally don’t think so.

maybe all of you should re read my post. obviously he is strong. lol 715 come on that is some amazing low end strength. im not a fan of raw lifting and it would be great to see Mendy master a shirt and develop better top end strength because he could no doubt be right up there with Gene. but u definitely have to respect and be in awe of a raw bench that big so don’t take my posts the wrong way. it was definitely a “REAL LIFT”

I think your message opener “Does anyone really care” is what cast such a negative attitude on your post.

beef

if you guys find a video link can you post it please. that is an awesome feat. laters pk

I keep hearing about him hitting 1000 lbs. in the gym. I don’t know about anyone else but I would like to see that even more than I’d like to see a 715 raw bench.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
does anyone really even care?? i have the utmost respect for Mendy and he is a very strong guy but I’d like to see him learn to use a shirt and challenge the big benchers.[/quote]

I care, actually.

Awesome Bench. If these guys are hitting 1000 and close to it with shirts, what can they do raw? 715 is incredible strength. A 1000 lb bencher with a shirt has to be close to that raw. Do shirts give 300 lbs.??? I got 75-100 lbs from a squat suit, never tried a bench shirt but I saw guys get 50 to 75 lbs. from one. These days I hear the carry over is even higher, but 300 lbs.? So why don’t the 1000 lb benchers just hit a raw meet and blow away all the records?

Barry

[quote]mozhne wrote:
Awesome Bench. If these guys are hitting 1000 and close to it with shirts, what can they do raw? 715 is incredible strength. A 1000 lb bencher with a shirt has to be close to that raw. Do shirts give 300 lbs.??? I got 75-100 lbs from a squat suit, never tried a bench shirt but I saw guys get 50 to 75 lbs. from one. These days I hear the carry over is even higher, but 300 lbs.? So why don’t the 1000 lb benchers just hit a raw meet and blow away all the records?

Barry[/quote]

for what reason?? Raw records really don’t mean much in the world of powerlifting. Gene Rychlak probably could bench 715 + raw but why would he want to do it? He would probably rip his pec off the bone. Raw lifts are pretty dangerous and just don’t mean as much.

Here is a link to Mendelson’s site. scotmendelson.net/video.html

Damn if that isn’t a strong dude. Those are some incredible benches. One in there with 805 has a pause you just have to see. Ok, Ok I will get off the ‘Raw’ soapbox. Shirt or no shirt the videos on this site are awesome lifting. Check out the video labled 'APF open raw 713 bench. It’s a great bench but it sure looks like he has a single ply shirt on. Anyway, props to Mendelson. His benches just fly up.

Barry

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
mozhne wrote:
Awesome Bench. If these guys are hitting 1000 and close to it with shirts, what can they do raw? 715 is incredible strength. A 1000 lb bencher with a shirt has to be close to that raw. Do shirts give 300 lbs.??? I got 75-100 lbs from a squat suit, never tried a bench shirt but I saw guys get 50 to 75 lbs. from one. These days I hear the carry over is even higher, but 300 lbs.? So why don’t the 1000 lb benchers just hit a raw meet and blow away all the records?

Barry

for what reason?? Raw records really don’t mean much in the world of powerlifting. Gene Rychlak probably could bench 715 + raw but why would he want to do it? He would probably rip his pec off the bone. Raw lifts are pretty dangerous and just don’t mean as much.
[/quote]

man…you’re just a knucklehead.
I’m not sure Gene could. His power move is a lot different, due to the shirt.
Not to say Big Gene’s not strong, of course he is.
Rugby’s a lot more dangerous than football in pads.
Weights are more dangerous than stairmasters.
I don’t get your point here. Usually it’s the Raw guys that are yapping at the gear guys.

Raw lifting dangerous? Is it dangerous when the shirt rips and you have over 100 pounds more than you can handle raw in your hands?

I have seen more accidents and injuries happen during shirted attempts.

I use a shirt in contest; however, I do find raw strength impressive and the purest reflection of the sport of powerlifting.

beef

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
for what reason?? Raw records really don’t mean much in the world of powerlifting. [/quote]

Ok, sure

715 is a huge amount of weight to bench raw - in fact it is more than anyone on earth ever has.

Raw records matter, as do geared records. Raw performance in general doesn’t matter as much in general currently (to the powerlifting population as a whole). Say Mendy had “only” benched 600. Then who would care? Since he broke a record, much more attention was paid to it (as it should be).

Separately, for the RAW DAWGZ, riddle me this. If Mendy can do 715 raw (more than anyone else), why has he not broken 900 in a shirt and other guys have broken 900 and even a 1000? He has access to all the same shirts and competitions that they do, so why not? Could it be that the two lifts are different, and the training and talents that are good for one may not be for another? Hmmm. Perhaps it might take extraordinary amounts of strength and technique to bench big weights in a shirt. Hmmm. Almost makes it sound athletic to do so.

Rick James, you bring up some interesting questions.

Can body composition affect benefit from equipment? Can how lean you are determine how the shirt can work for you?

beef

the video is nice, he makes it look so easy. laters pk

I don’t pretend to have any knowledge about this, but I have read about the difference in technique between raw and shirts, it certainly stands to reason.

And I think it takes as much work and skill and strength to put up big numbers with the shirt or pants or whatever.
Like Louie says he’s got a bottle of test in his office and it’s never even picked up 5 pounds (paraphrasing).
The raw lifts look cooler to me, but that’s just me and just right now.