New PR's Part 2

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
OHP: 65kg x 3 (strict) and 2 more push presses
Push press: 80kg x 1. Not sure how people are push pressing so much more than they can strict press.[/quote]
Skill. You need to get the bar as quickly as you can behind your head in the press/push press after it clears your skull to get a good lockout using your back/traps/rear delts to assist more.

It is pretty much the only ‘unique’ information I have about pressing. That, and to have your elbows a bit ahead of the bar when starting your presses, it puts you in a stronger position.

Here’s some actual beginner shit because the folks who post in this thread do not have beginner’s strength…

Deadlift- 315lbx3. Rep PR for 315. I could have done more, but I wanted to do singles afterwards so I didn’t bother.

I have a question about the deadlift, actually. I know that I don’t have a good back position with the deadlift and that I do not maintain a good arch when I get into position, but is it a serious concern if you don’t feel any strain in the lower back whatsoever? After my last single rep, my hip/upper back felt tired, but my lower back felt completely fine. Does that mean I shouldn’t be worried about my lower back positioning, or will my less than perfect form suddenly fuck me over sometime in the future when I actually pull heavy weights?

This is really bothering me and is the single biggest reason why I’m not really trying to push the envelope.

[quote]magick wrote:
Here’s some actual beginner shit because the folks who post in this thread do not have beginner’s strength…

Deadlift- 315lbx3. Rep PR for 315. I could have done more, but I wanted to do singles afterwards so I didn’t bother.

I have a question about the deadlift, actually. I know that I don’t have a good back position with the deadlift and that I do not maintain a good arch when I get into position, but is it a serious concern if you don’t feel any strain in the lower back whatsoever? After my last single rep, my hip/upper back felt tired, but my lower back felt completely fine. Does that mean I shouldn’t be worried about my lower back positioning, or will my less than perfect form suddenly fuck me over sometime in the future when I actually pull heavy weights?

This is really bothering me and is the single biggest reason why I’m not really trying to push the envelope.[/quote]

There’s a lot of good reasons to maintain a flat lower back. That said, it’s REALLY hard to give advice on how to fix someone’s form using a description on the internet.

Best thing to do is post a deadlift vid. Make sure to post one that you’re using a fairly high % of your 1RM (90+%), so we can see where your form might be breaking down.

@DSSG: Thanks!

[quote]magick wrote:

Deadlift- 315lbx3. Rep PR for 315. I could have done more, but I wanted to do singles afterwards so I didn’t bother.[/quote]

Well done. I’ve only been able to pull 305 for 1… I think that counts as beginner strength, doesn’t it?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

Deadlift- 315lbx3. Rep PR for 315. I could have done more, but I wanted to do singles afterwards so I didn’t bother.[/quote]

Well done. I’ve only been able to pull 305 for 1… I think that counts as beginner strength, doesn’t it?
[/quote]
I think he is talking to people like Reed, Apokylpse (not sure how to spell his name), Chobbs, and me. :slight_smile:

I post here since I am still not awesome enough for the PR thread in the powerlifting section.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t think what makes you a “beginner” or not has to do with your strength necessarily, but also your experience and how far you have gone along the path to achieving YOUR goals. For some of us on here that’s 100% strength, and others want to go the way of the shred and probably won’t build their numbers so fast.

A recreational bodybuilder’s idea of what is beginner, intermediate, advanced levels of strength is probably not the same as someone who wants to seriously compete in powerlifting.

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[/quote]
I think he is talking to people like Reed, Apokylpse (not sure how to spell his name), Chobbs, and me. :slight_smile:

I post here since I am still not awesome enough for the PR thread in the powerlifting section. [/quote]

Add to that: bdocksaints is a newer addition, but is posting some pretty good numbers too.

If your numbers aren’t good enough for the PL section, there’s no way mine are lol. I have no doubt your Wilks is probably like double mine.

^agreed, I think “beginner/intermediate/experienced” should be based on how well you know your body and how you can make changes to have the greatest improvement. I personally don’t think numbers should be a huge part of the criteria for beginners, novice etc but it should be some. You’ll never get any respect if you call yourself experienced with below average strength or physique. So in my definition I’m still a beginner lol

In my mind, you’re still a beginner if you can still make steady month-to-month progression in at least half your big lifts with a moderately intelligently designed and executed training protocol, i.e. what separates a beginner from an intermediate from advanced from pro are the things you have to do to continue making progress and the rate at which you progress.

I really don’t think physique/numbers are the best barometer. Here’s a great example: I was born with a bodybuilder’s genetics. Adding/cutting mass both come much more easily for me than most, solid meso frame, I hide fat well, and I hear I have the illusion of being bigger than I am. After a year of training, I feel like I could get a solid 6 if I submitted my pics to RMP (after cutting a further 12-15lbs or so, that is), despite training/dieting in a much more powerlifting-oriented fashion. As a powerlifter though, my progress has been okay, but nothing amazing. I regularly see smaller guys who look much weaker than I do whose lifts kick my ass. Look at DSSG. He’s way smaller than I am, but has definitely got some comparable numbers (and much better press numbers).

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
In my mind, you’re still a beginner if you can still make steady month-to-month progression in at least half your big lifts with a moderately intelligently designed and executed training protocol, i.e. what separates a beginner from an intermediate from advanced from pro are the things you have to do to continue making progress and the rate at which you progress.

I really don’t think physique/numbers are the best barometer. Here’s a great example: I was born with a bodybuilder’s genetics. Adding/cutting mass both come much more easily for me than most, solid meso frame, I hide fat well, and I hear I have the illusion of being bigger than I am. After a year of training, I feel like I could get a solid 6 if I submitted my pics to RMP (after cutting a further 12-15lbs or so, that is), despite training/dieting in a much more powerlifting-oriented fashion. As a powerlifter though, my progress has been okay, but nothing amazing. I regularly see smaller guys who look much weaker than I do whose lifts kick my ass. Look at DSSG. He’s way smaller than I am, but has definitely got some comparable numbers (and much better press numbers).[/quote]
Side note: don’t laugh at the 6 that he would get…that’s very impressive over there they’re tough as nails lol

250X1 1 second pause medium grip bench press
125X17 kroc rows strapless
bwX12 dead hang fat grip pull ups

Some of today’s.

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

I really don’t think physique/numbers are the best barometer. Here’s a great example: I was born with a bodybuilder’s genetics. Adding/cutting mass both come much more easily for me than most, solid meso frame, I hide fat well, and I hear I have the illusion of being bigger than I am. After a year of training, I feel like I could get a solid 6 if I submitted my pics to RMP (after cutting a further 12-15lbs or so, that is), despite training/dieting in a much more powerlifting-oriented fashion. As a powerlifter though, my progress has been okay, but nothing amazing. I regularly see smaller guys who look much weaker than I do whose lifts kick my ass. Look at DSSG. He’s way smaller than I am, but has definitely got some comparable numbers (and much better press numbers).[/quote]
Side note: don’t laugh at the 6 that he would get…that’s very impressive over there they’re tough as nails lol [/quote]
A six is pretty good. I would be lucky to get a 3-4 in the RMP forums.

I post here because in my honest opinion I am at best a intermediate lifter and that is seriously at best. Maybe to the average gym goer or lifter but to me compared to who I train with I am a beginner powerlifter advanced lifter maybe but, I need to almost double all my lifts to meet my goals. Also I have had a few guys Lorez, Dssg, and apokolys all guys I respect ask for my advice and have said they don’t mind me posting here so I will continue. With that said here are a few from Kristi and my selfs Squat and Deadlift session today.

500 for 4 Deficit Deadlift. Had 5 but on the second rep I had one of the worst nose bleeds I have had in my life and stopped at 4 as the amount of blood was just ridiculous.
- YouTube

Kristi 275 for a single. Those bands didn’t help her at all on this pull as you should obviously be able to see. How ever I tried a technique to really get her confidence up. We started with the bands on the 17th hole and pulled 1 rep. Then lowered the bands 1 hole per set so she could practice a good set up and slowly but surely feel that she could handle the weight.

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

Side note: don’t laugh at the 6 that he would get…that’s very impressive over there they’re tough as nails lol [/quote]
A six is pretty good. I would be lucky to get a 3-4 in the RMP forums. [/quote]

I wouldn’t get it now lol. I’d have to cut some more first, which isn’t happening! I just want to get down to comp weight. Maybe I’ll post one up sometime next year when I’ll hopefully be around my target (present target that is) 185lbs, 10%BF.

That’s just genetics, though. I remember people thinking I was pretty seriously into BBing at 5’8" 155lbs sub 8% BF (like actual sub 8%, I don’t even like looking like that). This was at a point where I wasn’t even working out, just had an active job and was stuffing my face with whatever I could, whenever I could.

I definitely recommend working as a ditch-digger for a summer for regular guys looking to get into shape. Though it affected my physique the most, it definitely transformed the other guys doing it too.

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes.

I still consider myself a beginner because 1. I feel as though my level of strength is nowhere near close to my potential. 2. I still feel like I have so much more to learn and experience that I don’t think I’m really qualified to give most people any worth while advice.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I post here because in my honest opinion I am at best a intermediate lifter and that is seriously at best. Maybe to the average gym goer or lifter but to me compared to who I train with I am a beginner powerlifter advanced lifter maybe but, I need to almost double all my lifts to meet my goals. Also I have had a few guys Lorez, Dssg, and apokolys all guys I respect ask for my advice and have said they don’t mind me posting here so I will continue. With that said here are a few from Kristi and my selfs Squat and Deadlift session today.

500 for 4 Deficit Deadlift. Had 5 but on the second rep I had one of the worst nose bleeds I have had in my life and stopped at 4 as the amount of blood was just ridiculous.
- YouTube

Kristi 275 for a single. Those bands didn’t help her at all on this pull as you should obviously be able to see. How ever I tried a technique to really get her confidence up. We started with the bands on the 17th hole and pulled 1 rep. Then lowered the bands 1 hole per set so she could practice a good set up and slowly but surely feel that she could handle the weight.

Thanks man, and yeah, I know what you mean. Where I train you’d probably be considered pretty typical, no offense. I’m definitely on the weaker end (but thankfully not the bottom anymore!), but that’s a good place to be when I can have a guy who can pull 310kg at 83kg giving me deadlift tips!

Really cool idea with the rev bands there. I may have to steal it at some point in the future.

Got a pair of 35kg dumbells overhead for the first time.
Yes, I’ve reverted. Westside for skinny bastards wasn’t for me.

160 x 10 OHP today.
My bench strength is slowly dropping but my OHP strength is growing by leaps and bounds.
Waaaaaay back in my young meathead days my military press was nearly equal to my bench.

160x1 SGHP today.

Previous PR was 145x2. So… 15 lb PR. I’m still working on 165 though, I think I can get it later tonight. I think it’s all due to form and technique and timing and such. I’m 95% of the way there; just short about 1".