T Nation

New Program

Ok i made a post before but it didnt make much sense so this is what im working with. I'm looking for a good program that will work with my home gym I have (listed below). I'm looking to workout 2-3 times a week and get big fast!

the home gym has 5 sides with weight stacks
Side 1: a bench press/ sitting military press side
Side 2: an inclinable situp board
Side 3: a side for quads exenstions/leg curls
Side 4: a side for bicep curls (flat bar from below) tricep rope and a lat pulldown bar from top
Side 5: a pectoral fly station

My current routine:

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on building terms, im totally new to it all!

But right now I'm doing the bench press 3x12 (always do 45 secs inbetween sets) , military press 3x12 , quad extenstions 3x15+ , bicep curls 3x 12, and crunches (on a slanted bench) 3x 35 (last 15 i turn my body right / left when i go up) ... and I do all these workouts on the same day twice a week

Please help me fix what I have now / come up with a new routine that will work!

I've read alot of the articles but most of those routines are for people who have access to a huge gym, which i do not :frowning:

A lot of the programs call for some pretty extensive equipment, but in your situation I'd look more closely at the set/rep/rest/loading parameters they set out and try to incorporate that into whatever exercises you have.

I'd think a bit more back work is needed in your current routine, gotta hit all the big muscles- but I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with the specifics.

Incidentally is it possible to attach the lat bar to the bicep curl handle? Cable deadlifts are a poor substitute for regular deadlifts but they are a great substitute for no deadlifts.

If your gonna bench, you have to pull. Your pushing horizontally, so pull horizontally. You've got a low cable it sounds, so you should be able to set up some sort of seated cable row. Get something to brace your feet to, and just pull the bar to your chest. (you can pull to your lower abs, or neck for variation). 2nd, you're doing military press, so you've got to pull from the top. Your lat pull down, that will, but it is no where near as effective as a chin up. Find yourself a chin up bar, or a ledge in your house where you can do chin ups (palms facing you) and pull ups (palms away from you). You wont like them, it's because they're hard, and very good for you.

If you look at all those upper body exercises closely, you'll notice that they are all multi-joint exercises. It is even more important that all your lower body exercises are multi-joint or total body lifts. Leg extensions, leg curles are not going to cut it. Body weight squats are a start. Overhead squats, (hold a broom stick at the ends, squat down deep - past parallel) would be next. Single leg squats are great, any variation of a lunge are also very good. Unfortunately, unless you can invest in some dumbells, you wont have the resistance for lunges, and single leg squats are very advanced.

You can however, progress with single leg box squats - set up a 'box' (table, chair, whatever) that is somewhere close to 20-22" off the floor. Lift one leg infront of you, slowly lower yourself down to the box, under control. When you touch the box, pause for a split second, keeping the opposite leg in the air, abs/back tight, and drive through the heel of your working foot to stand back up. If you can't control that range of motion, make the box higher. If it's too easy, lower it. You will want to progress until you can do 8-12 reps per leg, in a full range of motion (to a 10-12" box)

I agree with what's been so hard. I'll try to add a little more leg work that you can do:

1. Cable Good Mornings.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.html
    There is a barbell good morning. To do it with cables, put the tricep rope on the lowest cable possible, where the curls usually are. Hold the rope in your hands down low. Then keep your knees only slightly bent and push your hips back, keeping your back straight, until your back is almost parallel to the floor. Now you should be able to hold the rope at your neck. Now using your glutes and hamstrings to pull your hips forward, stand straight up. You should be able to feel that after a little practice and your cable stack should have enough weight to keep you busy for a little while.

2. Cable Squats.
    Get down in a parallel squat position and pull the rope to your neck like you did with the good mornings. Now, squat upwards.

3. Cable Reverse Lunges.
    Stand close to the cable stack, facing away from it. Put the rope around your neck so that its kind of like a yoke. Basically the same as you were doing before but reverse since you are facing away from the stack. Now walk out as far away as possible. Then, step back with your right foot, a little further than a normal stride length, lower your right knee straight down til it touches the floor and then push back off your right foot so you stand up again. Alternate feet. After time you will be able to do the lunge in one continuous motion.

4. Cable Pull-Throughs
    Finally, a leg exercise that was made for the cable stack! These really work the posterior chain. What you do is stand facing away from the cable stack. This time you are going to grab the rope from between your legs and pull it up so it is basically resting against your crotch. Walk out just about as far as you can go. Now you can initiate the movement 2 ways. To work the lower back more, round your back and keep your hips pretty much in place. You'll let the weight go back, and then "pull it through" your legs again. Personally, that puts more strain on my back than I like. I prefer to keep my upper back straight and initiate the movement by pushing my hips back.

Here is a good explanation of it:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=33909&tid=51

5.Cable Step-Ups:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/CBStepUp.html
That pretty much explain it.

Just because you don't have a squat rack is no excuse to have weak legs!