T Nation

New Program Recommendations?

Alright let me just give you some details of what I’ve been doing, where I’m at, and where I’d like to go.

I am currently 5’9, 155ish lbs, 23 years old.

My lifts:

Bench 5RM = 225lbs
Deadlift 5RM = 250+ lbs (still climbing). 1RM= 315lbs (highest 1RM I’ve tried)
Squat 5RM = 200lbs+ (still improving)

My squat is obviously my weakest point. Could have something to do with the fact that I’m naturally very thin in the legs, small joints, and narrow hips/torso. But even still, those numbers are awful lol.

I’ve been doing Billy Starr’s 5x5 for about 11 weeks and am now stalling in the upper body movements. I figured after this amount of time, it might be a good idea to trick the body again with something new.

My Goals:

• To improve in the main 3 lifts (bench, dead, squat). I’m more concerned with getting stronger as opposed to ‘shaping’ my muscles like a body builder would. That being said I’m not interested in a serious bulk either. I’d like to just keep eating clean and progressing the best I can without too much fat gain (though I know some is inevitable).

I don’t want a program with too much emphasis on isolation exercises. I need the main 3 lifts to be the bulk of it.

I don’t have a preference for rep schemes. However I want to be conditioning my body to be able to lift for respectable 1RMs.

I’d say something where I lift 3-4x a week is ideal.

I go to a YMCA… no chains and bands going on there.

If you want any other information, just let me know.

Thanks!

Is there something that I’m missing here? What have others done to switch up from this 5x5 routine?

Any additional info that needs to be given?

Have you looked into a westside type program? Look into WS4SB by Joe DeFranco. This would be a good starting point for increasing those lifts and getting used to handling heavy weights.

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
Alright let me just give you some details of what I’ve been doing, where I’m at, and where I’d like to go.

I am currently 5’9, 155ish lbs, 23 years old.

My lifts:

Bench 5RM = 225lbs
Deadlift 5RM = 250+ lbs (still climbing). 1RM= 315lbs (highest 1RM I’ve tried)
Squat 5RM = 200lbs+ (still improving)

My squat is obviously my weakest point. Could have something to do with the fact that I’m naturally very thin in the legs, small joints, and narrow hips/torso. But even still, those numbers are awful lol.

I’ve been doing Billy Starr’s 5x5 for about 11 weeks and am now stalling in the upper body movements. I figured after this amount of time, it might be a good idea to trick the body again with something new.

My Goals:

• To improve in the main 3 lifts (bench, dead, squat). I’m more concerned with getting stronger as opposed to ‘shaping’ my muscles like a body builder would. That being said I’m not interested in a serious bulk either. I’d like to just keep eating clean and progressing the best I can without too much fat gain (though I know some is inevitable).

I don’t want a program with too much emphasis on isolation exercises. I need the main 3 lifts to be the bulk of it.

I don’t have a preference for rep schemes. However I want to be conditioning my body to be able to lift for respectable 1RMs.

I’d say something where I lift 3-4x a week is ideal.

I go to a YMCA… no chains and bands going on there.

If you want any other information, just let me know.

Thanks![/quote]

I think that you need to add more variety to your routine.

Example 5-week bp routine that I do:

1-week
Bench Press, 4 sets x 3
Incline Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Chest Support Row, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Seated-Overhead Tricep Extension, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

2nd- week
Pause Floor Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Decline Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Pull-ups, 4 sets x 5
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

3rd week
Pause 3-Board Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Dumbbell Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Close Grip Cable Lat-Pulldown, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Tate�??s Press, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

4th week
Reverse Band Bench Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Weighted Plat Push-ups, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
T-Bar Rows, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Standing Cable Tricep Pull Downs, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

5th week
Bench Press, 4 sets x 3
Incline Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Chest Support Row, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Seated-Overhead Tricep Extension, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

[quote]Jhauser3 wrote:
Have you looked into a westside type program? Look into WS4SB by Joe DeFranco. This would be a good starting point for increasing those lifts and getting used to handling heavy weights. [/quote]

No chains or bands needed for WS4SB

I think you should buy and read practical programming by Rippetoe and Kilgore. Their work is right up your alley!

Get some microplates(apts are good) so that you can continually load each week even if its only a pd or two compared to 5lbs each week. Works good for lifts that stall fast(bench, oh press, etc…) and works well on the bill starr 5x5 linear program.

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
Jhauser3 wrote:
Have you looked into a westside type program? Look into WS4SB by Joe DeFranco. This would be a good starting point for increasing those lifts and getting used to handling heavy weights.

No chains or bands needed for WS4SB[/quote]

Westside isn’t just about bands and chains. It’s a method. Chains and bands are tools.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
JFG12 wrote:
Jhauser3 wrote:

Westside isn’t just about bands and chains. It’s a method. Chains and bands are tools.[/quote]

So I could do the method successfully without those tools?

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
JFG12 wrote:
Jhauser3 wrote:

Westside isn’t just about bands and chains. It’s a method. Chains and bands are tools.

So I could do the method successfully without those tools?[/quote]

yup.