New Program Question

Hey everyone

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of months now and decided to pursue weightlifting training. First a little history

I am 18 and about 138 lbs 5’6. I first started training a little over 7 months ago. I started with a calisthenics only program with push/pull split. I was very happy with the results I got from it. I started out not being able to do a single stict pullup and only 5 chin ups. As of right now I am doing muscle ups and 18lb weighted chin ups for reps(4X8). So I have built a decent amount of muscle for a beginner and some strength as well. Although the only problem with this program is that I completely ignored my lower body except for the occasional weekly sprint and pistol squats. Also I feel that my shoulders could use some overhead pressing as well.

Although since finding this site I decided to start training with weights although still keeping dips, pullups, and chins in my routine. I have been doing some research along with reading starting strength and some great articles by Christian Thibaudeau and other great authors. My goal is to build mass as well as get stronger.

So now to the main purpose of my post. I decided to make my own program so here it is
(ABXABXX)

A day
Squats
Deadlift
Pull ups/chins

B Day
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Dips

I plan to get 4 sets on each lift and around 8 reps each set

So let me know what you think about it I really want some critique so let me know if it sucks haha and I am not really sure if the order of the exercises is good or whether I grouped exercises together on the rights days. If you guys think I should follow another program let me know. I would like to keep these exercises in my program. Also is bench and dips enough for triceps or do I need to add a exercise and if so which one. So if you do not like the program let me know about a program that would be good for a beginner. I would like to keep things pretty simple. Also I plan on the off days to work on some skill training like handstand, back levers, front levers, etc.

Also a quick note about my nutrition. I feel it is dialed in pretty well. The staple of my diet is a lot of green vegis with every meal and chicken, fish, beef, eggs are my main sources of protein. I use a good amount of coconut oil and for carbs I do not eat bread so I have potatoes, sweet potatoes, nuts, and rice. I eat about 3 or 4 meals a day.

This is a pretty long winded post but I really want some good feedback. Thank You

If you have 4 days to workout during the week, why don’t you do bench, OHP, deadlift, and squats on their own day?

@fdwider try jim wendlers 5,3,1 with you
r choice of assistance exercises.

Monday: Bench 5/3/1 + assistance
Tuesday: Squat 5/3/1 + assistance
Wednesday Overhead Press 5/3/1 + assistance
Friday Deadlift 5/3/1 + assistance

*Conditioning and core Tuesday+Friday

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:
If you have 4 days to workout during the week, why don’t you do bench, OHP, deadlift, and squats on their own day?

[/quote]

Then I would have 6 rest days before I do that main compound again…isnt that to little volume?

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[/quote]

I have heard a lot about wendlers 5/3/1 Could you give me the basic premises of the program? Thanks

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[/quote]

Then I would have 6 rest days before I do that main compound again…isnt that to little volume?[/quote]
Say you train squats, and some posterior chain work, then later that week deadlifts and the whole legs/back. You are hitting the muscles used for squatting twice that week, and as long as there is enough volume when you do train the muscles (on squat or deadlift day) and effort that will be enough for a stimulus. Same deal with over head/bench press.

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[/quote]

Then I would have 6 rest days before I do that main compound again…isnt that to little volume?[/quote]
Say you train squats, and some posterior chain work, then later that week deadlifts and the whole legs/back. You are hitting the muscles used for squatting twice that week, and as long as there is enough volume when you do train the muscles (on squat or deadlift day) and effort that will be enough for a stimulus. Same deal with over head/bench press. [/quote]

So instead of 4 sets should I aim for more sets to increase overall weekly volume?

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[/quote]

Say you train squats, and some posterior chain work, then later that week deadlifts and the whole legs/back. You are hitting the muscles used for squatting twice that week, and as long as there is enough volume when you do train the muscles (on squat or deadlift day) and effort that will be enough for a stimulus. Same deal with over head/bench press. [/quote]

So instead of 4 sets should I aim for more sets to increase overall weekly volume?
[/quote]
Say you bench press as the main exercise of the day for something like 5/3/1 I would then train my triceps/lats/shoulders with heavy exercises then maybe some rear delt raises or something for balance. So one example could be 5/3/1 bench, shoulder presses, then some skull crushers or deadstart tricep extensions whatever you want to do for triceps, then onto a row variation and something for the upper back/reardeltoids that would be a typical bench day. About 4-6 exercises a day one main, one or two supplemental and whatever else for weaknesses it depends on your recovery rate/work capacity. For the over head press I would follow the 5/3/1 program then follow it up by something like floor presses, close grip bench presses, rack lock outs, some type of heavy pressing exercise that trains the triceps heavily then some stuff for shoulders and ect. If you were to run 5/3/1 I would just follow what accessories Jim Wendler recommends and adjust from there after awhile.

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[/quote]

I have heard a lot about wendlers 5/3/1 Could you give me the basic premises of the program? Thanks[/quote]
I’m certainly no pro, but just pIck a template, and do 5/3/1 with the exact percentages.

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[/quote]

I have heard a lot about wendlers 5/3/1 Could you give me the basic premises of the program? Thanks[/quote]
I’m certainly no pro, but just pIck a template, and do 5/3/1 with the exact percentages.[/quote]

Is 5/3/1 effective for putting in muscle mass because it seems that it is geared towards strength gains?

Yes
For example - overhead press day:
1 Overhead press (heavy)
2 Overhead press (high rep)
3 lateral raises and tricep work

Buy the Ebook

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[/quote]

I’m certainly no pro, but just pIck a template, and do 5/3/1 with the exact percentages.[/quote]
You (138 lbs) and I (213), both need a lot more of both, so I don’t think it matters. But just depends on the template

Is 5/3/1 effective for putting in muscle mass because it seems that it is geared towards strength gains?
[/quote]

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
Yes
For example - overhead press day:
1 Overhead press (heavy)
2 Overhead press (high rep)
3 lateral raises and tricep work

Buy the Ebook[/quote]

OK I just bought the ebook The only problem is that I have no idea what my maxes are how should I safely go about figuring that out so I can start the program. Thanks