T Nation

New PRIDE Rules

So I have heard that PRIDE had been bought by UFC but I was wondering if the PRIDE events held in Japan will still be PRIDE rulse or whether they are going to use UFC rules.

Also as I understand it PRIDE never tested for steroids, is this still the case?

If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Cheers.

P.s. I tried to find the answer on MMA type sites but most seemed to be “written” by 14 year olds calling each other “fAgOt n00bs” and such.

If the fights in las Vegas, the gaming commission mandates that steroids must be tested for.

I understand that they will be trying to keep the rules the same, except when the fight is in vegas(because of the state laws). When they will change as little as possible.

Hopefully they dont. I always thought Pride Rules were superior. Botha bouttheose Fantasy Matches,where will they be held?

Depending on the location,Fighters from both organization will either have an advantage or disafvantage depending on where is held.

Yes, Pride will (after this weekend’s event) be adopting he unified rules. So it will be UFC rules in the ring. This also means the weight classes will change. As for steroid testing, that is a Nevada state issue. When UFC events were held in California, Cali did not test fighters for steroids, only recreation drugs.

So I believe that issue will be left off the table.

Thanks for the replies gents. This is bad news for MMA. I really dont like some of the UFC Rules, especially no knees when a the opponent shoots. Of the two I always thought that PRIDE had the better rules. Hopefully K1 Hero will pick up the slack. This has ruined my day.

gotaknife, why is your avatar some dude with a picture of my parents having sex on his mask?

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Yes, Pride will (after this weekend’s event) be adopting he unified rules. So it will be UFC rules in the ring. …[/quote]

Is this a done deal? What about the 10 minute first round?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Yes, Pride will (after this weekend’s event) be adopting he unified rules. So it will be UFC rules in the ring. …

Is this a done deal? What about the 10 minute first round?[/quote]

What you saw at Pride 33 & 34 in the USA is what you will get. No 10 minute first round, which is the only thing I won’t miss. I like 3 or 5 5 min rounds better.

[quote]gotaknife wrote:
Hopefully K1 Hero will pick up the slack. [/quote]

K-1 Hero’s has the worst rules of all, you aren’t allowed knees/soccer kicks or elbows. And the fights are only two rounds.

unified rules are necessary if there’s going to be cross over fights. It’d be a disadvantage to whoever wasn’t used to the rules.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Yes, Pride will (after this weekend’s event) be adopting he unified rules. So it will be UFC rules in the ring. …

What you saw at Pride 33 & 34 in the USA is what you will get. No 10 minute first round, which is the only thing I won’t miss. I like 3 or 5 5 min rounds better.[/quote]

donut, i got the pride oct card, they didnt allow elbows, even tho NSAC allows them … will that change? its always fun to see a bad cut, but a crappy reason for a fighter to lose

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
gotaknife wrote:
Hopefully K1 Hero will pick up the slack.

K-1 Hero’s has the worst rules of all, you aren’t allowed knees/soccer kicks or elbows. And the fights are only two rounds.[/quote]

Sorry, I should have explained better. I was hoping that Hero’s would begin using PRIDE rules to try and steal PRIDE/UFC’s market in Japan. I have always enjoyed watching PRIDE more than UFC so this whole “unified Rules” business has me bummed.

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
gotaknife, why is your avatar some dude with a picture of my parents having sex on his mask?[/quote]

Ha! Gold!
If you are serious about not knowing who that is, check out “Watchmen” by Alan Moore. Probably the greatest animated novel of all time (also the only animated work to win the Hugo Science fiction award). I believe the bloke who directed ‘300’ is working on a movie version of ‘Watchmen’ right now.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

What you saw at Pride 33 & 34 in the USA is what you will get. No 10 minute first round, which is the only thing I won’t miss. I like 3 or 5 5 min rounds better.[/quote]

So basically we get UFC in a ring.

I liked the 10 minute first round, I found it made cut down on guys saved by the bell. It also gave the ground fighters a better chance and as long as Pride had the yellow card, the fight didn’t get too slow.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a super heavyweight division? It would be a shame to see some of the huge pride guys not have a place to fight under the unified rules.

Jeff

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

What you saw at Pride 33 & 34 in the USA is what you will get. No 10 minute first round, which is the only thing I won’t miss. I like 3 or 5 5 min rounds better.

donut, i got the pride oct card, they didnt allow elbows, even tho NSAC allows them … will that change? its always fun to see a bad cut, but a crappy reason for a fighter to lose
[/quote]

Pride did not allows elbows in the USA because elbows were not in Pride’s standard rules, and Sakikibara was fearful that fighters wouldn’t be adjusted to them. It was his call from what I understand, and the Fertitas seem OK with elbows so I imagine they will become part of the rules.

[quote]FFJeff wrote:
Does anyone know if there is going to be a super heavyweight division? It would be a shame to see some of the huge pride guys not have a place to fight under the unified rules.

Jeff[/quote]

The unified rules have a provision for a SHW class, 265 pounds and above. UFC could have super heavyweights, but to quote the eloquent Dana White “Super heavy weights are fucking stupid”. Pride has enough big men to have a decent class and the Japanese public eats big fat guys up, so I imagine SHW will become Pride’s signature class.

Zuffa uses the WEC to showcase light fighters in classes the UFC doesn’t have (145), and I imagine it would make business sense to use Pride to show the big boys.

Not that this is the best place to post this (but seeing as the original question has been answered…): What’s this crap about Tito Ortiz vs Dana White??? Is the UFC turning into the WWF?

[quote]gotaknife wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
gotaknife wrote:
Hopefully K1 Hero will pick up the slack.

K-1 Hero’s has the worst rules of all, you aren’t allowed knees/soccer kicks or elbows. And the fights are only two rounds.

Sorry, I should have explained better. I was hoping that Hero’s would begin using PRIDE rules to try and steal PRIDE/UFC’s market in Japan. I have always enjoyed watching PRIDE more than UFC so this whole “unified Rules” business has me bummed.[/quote]

K1 actually already pretty much has more popularity in pride in Japan. Not because of the rules however, its more based on who they are appealing to. K1 basis most of it’s events off of freak matches that the public seem to love (Giant Silva vs Akebono for example.)

Don’t forget, the NSAC also mandates testing, suspension, and overturning of fight results for the super-secret performance enhancer that has just hit the MMA market, weed.