New PR! 405 Bench Vid

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
What are your squat and deadlift numbers?[/quote]

ive never maxed on either but i know i need to work on them which is what im doing because i can probably bench more then i can squat. i know my deadlift is higher then 405 but squat isnt.

[quote]Beej1989 wrote:
i know i mean if i learn i guess ill learn the hard way[/quote]

Do you understand the force that 405 lbs has free falling from 2.5/3 feet? I was spotting a friend doing 225 for reps when it slipped. My hands were over the bar and it still moved too fast for me to catch it.

Fuck cracking ribs (which you will), you will probably break your sternum and could cause serious internal injury. The suicide grip is a way of forcing corrections on faulty grip technique. The exact same positioning, resulting in the same push from your palms with the thumb around if you grip the bar in the proper way. Read Starting Strength, Rippetoe explains this.

It is utterly idiotic to persist in something so dangerous when the solution is so easily fixable. It’s like wearing a helmet while driving a motorcycle. Why wouldn’t you?

gimme the link to the article and ill read it

It is a book.

well i tried doin what you said and it didnt work as well so i guess im gonna stick with suicide until i break some ribs :slight_smile:

[quote]Beej1989 wrote:
well i tried doin what you said and it didnt work as well so i guess im gonna stick with suicide until i break some rips :)[/quote]

Please videotape it.

I envy your strength, and it will be enjoyable for me to see you out of the iron game.

its never happened and it never will. there is a better chance of me getting in a car accident and injuring myself but im not gonna stop driving am i? fuck you haters i dont care how i hold the bar. instead of complimenting someone you gotta nit pick every little thing.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the suicide grip. But if you are going to use it, get some sides on heavy attempts.

[quote]Beej1989 wrote:
Bloobird wrote:
That’s impressive, but why did you post this in the beginner forums?

well im only 19 and have been lifting for 2 years so i think thats somewhat beginner. i am nowhere near my goal so im still a youngin[/quote]

I Lol’d at this. I think I shall stop with the suicide grip as well never really thought about the consequences although it is more comfortable.

[quote]Beej1989 wrote:
its never happened and it never will. there is a better chance of me getting in a car accident and injuring myself but im not gonna stop driving am i? fuck you haters i dont care how i hold the bar. instead of complimenting someone you gotta nit pick every little thing. [/quote]

You’ve gotten plenty of compliments. You can lift the weight with your cock for all I care. You can do what you wish. I just think it is fucking stupid, like not wearing a helmet while motorcycling because it doesn’t look cool.

You’re 19, you feel invincible, but it only takes once.

all im saying is that i can lift more weight with the suicide grip so if im maxing then i want to use the grip.

update: i just got 415 if anyone gives a shit

They’re not ragging on you because they’re haters…at least not most of them.

You’ve got a great bench and no one wants to read some post from you in 3 years where you talk about how you almost got cut in fuckin’ half from a bar falling.

It’s cause they don’t want you to hurt yourself man.

Get some wrist wraps, they’ll help put your palms in the right position and you can still wrap your thumb the right way.

I love my wrist wraps.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
They’re not ragging on you because they’re haters…at least not most of them.

You’ve got a great bench and no one wants to read some post from you in 3 years where you talk about how you almost got cut in fuckin’ half from a bar falling.

It’s cause they don’t want you to hurt yourself man.

Get some wrist wraps, they’ll help put your palms in the right position and you can still wrap your thumb the right way.

I love my wrist wraps. [/quote]

this my sound like a noob question but my friend is giving me wrist wraps that we use for deadlifts and pull up so are those the same kind that you can use on bench because i have never heard of using wraps for bench

Do you understand the force that 405 lbs has free falling from 2.5/3 feet? I was spotting a friend doing 225 for reps when it slipped. My hands were over the bar and it still moved too fast for me to catch it.

Just thought Id comment on this. Newtons second law is F=ma, or force = mass times acceleration. If 405lbs slips out of your hands, that is like 183.7049kg’s falling at the acceleration of gravity (9.8m/s^2) meaning the total force is somewhere around 1800.08kg(m)/s^2, or newtons (N), which is a shit ton, and thats not even figuring in the gain in acceleration from the height its going to be dropped from.

What that means, is if you “learn the hard way”, you may not get back in the gym, ever.

Just as a note, if you are planning to compete, I’m pretty sure the IPF doesn’t allow a suicide grip. I don’t know about the other feds.

Glad you decided to put some pants on for the vid.

[quote]Beej1989 wrote:

this my sound like a noob question but my friend is giving me wrist wraps that we use for deadlifts and pull up so are those the same kind that you can use on bench because i have never heard of using wraps for bench[/quote]

No, those are straps, used to bolster grip, these are wrist wraps.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=300&pid=2707

And this is how to wrap them.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/wrists.htm

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Beej1989 wrote:

this my sound like a noob question but my friend is giving me wrist wraps that we use for deadlifts and pull up so are those the same kind that you can use on bench because i have never heard of using wraps for bench

No, those are straps, used to bolster grip, these are wrist wraps.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=300&pid=2707

And this is how to wrap them.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/wrists.htm [/quote]

Here’s a useful video for the wraps: