T Nation

New Pets, Having Them Get Along

I’m getting a new cat on wednesdays. It actually belongs to my girlfriend’s ex and he doesn’t want it, so I wanna take it in.

Anyways, I already have a cat and he’s lived by himself for the last 7 years. He’s really mellow and chill, but I wonder if he’ll see a new cat as a huge infringement on his territory.

Anybody have a lot of animal experience and know how to try and have them get along?

Put it this way, you’ll know really fast if they do or don’t get along. And if they don’t get along at first, it’s doubtful they ever will.

Tie their tails together and hand them over the clothesline. They will learn to get along.

Had this issue when I got my second dog. I had the male for a couple years first and then had to introduce the female into the same household.

They are both fixed and acutally littermates as well. Both more or less rescued from homes in Ontario.

What helped at least a bit with the dogs was to introduce both of them to one another in an unfirmilar area. They were both brought to a near playgroud rather than a first introduction in the home.

A friend of mine once brought a new cat home to an already cat-occupied apartment. Those cats fought like cats and dogs! Then they stayed away from each other, but both cats were miserable and stayed hidden.

Then my friend found this new-age cat trainer. The trainer said the cats react to each other’s smell. So she prescribed my friend butter the cats! Coat them completely with butter to mask their scents. Then the cats will get close, lick each other clean, and develop a good relationship, she said

My friend did butter the cats, but it backfired. Not only did the cats still hate each other, but they were fucking angry about being all greasy and buttery.

LOL

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
A friend of mine once brought a new cat home to an already cat-occupied apartment. Those cats fought like cats and dogs! Then they stayed away from each other, but both cats were miserable and stayed hidden.

Then my friend found this new-age cat trainer. The trainer said the cats react to each other’s smell. So she prescribed my friend butter the cats! Coat them completely with butter to mask their scents. Then the cats will get close, lick each other clean, and develop a good relationship, she said

My friend did butter the cats, but it backfired. Not only did the cats still hate each other, but they were fucking angry about being all greasy and buttery.

LOL[/quote]

HAHAHAHHA!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

LOL[/quote]

LMFAO

True or not, that story is epic!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

LOL[/quote]

Holy crap! that is the best thing I’ve heard all day! -lol

S

True story, folks. The 80’s. I have a lot of weird city tales.

Hey Stu…damn, your avatars just get more and more impressive.

Resume thread.

In my experience the best way to create a bond between animals is regimented beatings.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Tie their tails together and hand them over the clothesline. They will learn to get along. [/quote]

My dad did this with me and my brother, 'cept we didn’t have tails so he had to use our…wait a fucking sec, you tricked me.

You need to be a calm assertive pack leader. Wait, maybe that’s dogs? Ahh fuck it, butter 'em up! (and take pics)

I wanna start seeing the phrase: “Wow you really did butter up the cats there didn’t you?” any time someone makes a bad situation worse.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
I wanna start seeing the phrase: “Wow you really did butter up the cats there didn’t you?” any time someone makes a bad situation worse.[/quote]

With the internet, anything can be done.

I know a couple of catty women who don’t get along very well… (considers getting out the butter) -lol

Dwarf - Thanks bro, I’m surprising myself with some of these recent pics (although I’ll chalk them up as lucky shots until I feel hit my goal weight)

Resume thread!

S

[quote]dk44 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Tie their tails together and hand them over the clothesline. They will learn to get along.

My dad did this with me and my brother, 'cept we didn’t have tails so he had to use our…wait a fucking sec, you tricked me. [/quote]

LOL!

From the goat’s mouth!