New Music?

i’m the OP and your not welcome if you don’t like disturbed! LOL JK…everybody has their opinion…but “down with the sickness”…come on… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
i’m the OP and your not welcome if you don’t like disturbed! LOL JK…everybody has their opinion…but “down with the sickness”…come on… :P[/quote]

Yeah. If you like your songs overplayed to the point of suicide being a welcome alternative thought every time you hear that song.

“Down With the Sickness” and “Bodies” by Drowning Pool have got to be the most Goddamned overplayed songs in history!

ok agreed…but the first 1000 times i heard them…WOW! thats all i got to say…

Gerdy

Some music i listen to while lifting are…

Strung Out
Strike Anywhere
Killswitch Engage
In Flames
Shai Hulud
Thrice
Metallica
Led Zeppelin
A Wilhelm Scream
Children of Bodom
Rise Against

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
“Down With the Sickness” and “Bodies” by Drowning Pool have got to be the most Goddamned overplayed songs in history![/quote]

Oh no, Stairway to Heaven has them both beat by decades.

Check out High on Fire. Their song Hung, Drawn and Quartered is a great place to start.

[quote]5DeadlyVenoms wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
“Down With the Sickness” and “Bodies” by Drowning Pool have got to be the most Goddamned overplayed songs in history!

[/quote]

yeah but “Stairway…” is deserving, because it is classic music that is pretty much liked universally. Drowning Pool and Disturbed are what I like to call “Trailer Park Metal”.

5DeadlyVenoms wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:

yeah but “Stairway…” is deserving, because it is classic music that is pretty much liked universally. Drowning Pool and Disturbed are what I like to call “Trailer Park Metal”.[/quote]

Gotcha. I love LZ but Stairway has been slaughtered by radio.

Heard a few new ones today…

Atreyu-Becoming the Bull
Bleeding Mascara
Doomsday
Blow
Lip Gloss and Black

Gerdy

yeah but “Stairway…” is deserving, because it is classic music that is pretty much liked universally. Drowning Pool and Disturbed are what I like to call “Trailer Park Metal”.[/quote]

Not knocking your opinion, but do you base your opinion of Disturbed on what has been played to death on the radio, or all of their music, in general?

I personally haven’t listened to music stations on the radio since I stopped working for a radio group in late 2000, and I didn’t “discover” Disturbed until mid 2006. I’m a fan, but my interest wasn’t formed by what I’d consider to be popular opinion, since they were kinda “old news” by the time I started listening.

They’re one of my favorites, but they’re not the only metal group I like.
In fact, Agalloch is a new addition to my list. Thanks for pointing them out.

[quote]Rykker wrote:

Not knocking your opinion, but do you base your opinion of Disturbed on what has been played to death on the radio, or all of their music, in general?

I personally haven’t listened to music stations on the radio since I stopped working for a radio group in late 2000, and I didn’t “discover” Disturbed until mid 2006. I’m a fan, but my interest wasn’t formed by what I’d consider to be popular opinion, since they were kinda “old news” by the time I started listening.

They’re one of my favorites, but they’re not the only metal group I like.
In fact, Agalloch is a new addition to my list. Thanks for pointing them out.[/quote]

I base my opinion on them from their radio friendly metal that’s promoted as being “cutting edge” when it is clearly not. I’m also basing my opinion on their typical fanbase, which usually also worships Korn and Slipknot, two other absolutely terrible, mainstream bands. Not to say that Disturbed is complete shit though, as I do see some potential in them to cross over into darker, perhaps Death Metal territory. They’d need to fire their shmuck of a drummer and hire someone who can actually double kick.

Had they not been played to death on the radio they may not have been relegated to “Trailer Park Metal”.

I base my opinion on them from their radio friendly metal that’s promoted as being “cutting edge” when it is clearly not. I’m also basing my opinion on their typical fanbase, which usually also worships Korn and Slipknot, two other absolutely terrible, mainstream bands. Not to say that Disturbed is complete shit though, as I do see some potential in them to cross over into darker, perhaps Death Metal territory. They’d need to fire their shmuck of a drummer and hire someone who can actually double kick.

Had they not been played to death on the radio they may not have been relegated to “Trailer Park Metal”.
[/quote]

Not a fan of Korn; never listened to Slipknot. I’ve never even heard of Drowning Pool.

5DeadlyVenoms wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:

LOL, I usually call bands like that “Frat Boy metal” or “Abercrombie Fitch metal”. I actually hate to call bands like that metal at all

[quote]Rykker wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:

Not a fan of Korn; never listened to Slipknot. I’ve never even heard of Drowning Pool. [/quote]

Slipknot has a few good songs: Duality, Heretic Anthem, Before I Forget, Opium of the People

Drowning Pool: Bodies, Step up

I think these songs kick ass for the gym but i’m played out on them now lol

Gerdy

Ugh, some horrible stuff mentioned in this thread. Listen to Unsane.

Listen to the Cro-Mags and stop fucking around with this other crap. Your PR’s will probably all go up if you listen to The Age Of Quarrel album, before, during, and after lifting. It is kind of like Surge, but more effective.

um well most of the stuff listed is horrible(papa roach, korn, slipknot?!?!!), I’ll give you a few good metal bands though to hopefully get you on a better track. They are not new but seems you have not really heard of some of the good metal bands out there.

Opeth
Dream Theatre
Tool
Amon Amarth
Symphony X Just to name a few

I just discovered Godsmack, especially the “Awake” album.

Shinedown is also an all-time favorite - the “Leave A Whisper” album.

Although recently I have done a few workouts without music (!) just to see how it feels, and it surprised me how my focus was sharper, despite the noise/music of the gym. Something about a higher sense of awareness when stuff’s not blasting in your ears.

All That Remains-This Calling Master
-Six
-The Air That I Breathe
(mediumcore)

Hatebreed-Live For This
(mediumcore)

Rise Against-Black Masks & Gasoline
-Blood-Red White and Blue
-State Of The Union
-Torches
(really almost any of them gets me pumped, light stuff though)

Bullet For My Valentine-Hand Of Blood
-Four Words To Choke Upon
(light)

The Devil Wears Prada-Texas Is South
-Reptar, King of the Ozone
-Dogs can grow beards all over
(death metal)

Throwdown-Declare Your War
-Forever
-Walk away
(mediumcore)

Alexisonfire
-.44 Caliber Love Lettersong starts of slow
-Pulmonary Archery
-Boiled Frogs
-No Transitory

American Head Charge
-Loyalty

Hatebreed

Kid Rock

Rage Against The Machine
Pretty much anything by these guys

Back Door Slam
I am telling everyone about this band, it may not be the best for lifting heavy things but they are amazing for only being 20. The are from the UK but sound very bluesy. The guitarist (Davey Knowles) is already getting compared to Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Give them a shot, you won’t regret it