New Muscle Pump Coaching

It’s mainly because I’m trying to eat 3700 calories a day and it’s a struggle so I eat 5 meals a day plus Surge

Once you pick 90 minutes after the last meal and believe that is correct, it only begs the question on how to space out the sips of Surge throughout the day for non workout days.

I start drinking the almost 2 liter mix in the morning and sip on it as I get thirsty, alternating between that and plain water. Usually finish just after dinner.

Same or sometimes I only get down the Surge mix and maybe a little water on top.

That still doesn’t answer my question of whether Surge competes with other nutrients in our digestive system.

That said, currently I do the same, but separated slightly away from solid food meals, say 30 to 45 minutes.

It would seem to me that taking it on an empty or at least not full stomach would be preferable. The carbs chosen and other ingredients will be absorbed fast, and are also chosen to, at least in part, be ideal for fueling your workout. It would seem unnecessary to eat a large bowl of oatmeal and eggs, then have a Surge, then workout. But what do I know?

FWIW, I take mine on a complete empty stomach, and about 20 minutes later I start my training with another serving in hand.

I would drink it in between meals spaced over four (or five) servings – something like this:

1. Midmorning
  2. Midafternoon
  3. Late afternoon
  4. Bedtime (within two hours)

Just use common sense and don’t overstress the off-day dosing times.

2 Likes

You want to drink Surge Workout Fuel on as close to an empty stomach as possible. Other nutrients can negatively affect performance.

Please wait another two weeks.

Does this have to do with protein synthesis or protein spiking so to speak throughout the day?

Leucine is most effective when not combined with other amino acids, I believe that is a big reason why it should be taken on an empty or near empty stomach

Yes, we see better effects – boosted protein synthesis, growth factors, and recovery – when pulsing amino acids, creating spiking blood levels.

Pulse whole proteins (meat, dairy, eggs, etc.) as well. Shoving protein down every couple of hours or grazing is not optimal. You also have a lot of immune function in the GI tract that needs rest to work well. And a robust immune system means better gains, recovery, and health.

1 Like

So eating every 3-4 hours may be ideal then? I typically eat breakfast, two lunches, supper and a bedtime snack. My meals are spaced about every 3 hours.

It seems that your bedtime snack should be dropped in favor of the bedtime Surge every night.

And maybe four protein feedings is better too.

I think that’s too often. Your body isn’t designed to eat that frequently, and you’ll get much better protein synthesis if you wait longer. You need several hours of baseline levels before eating again. High spikes of amino acids tapering down to baseline, where you idle for a couple of hours, is best.

Eat the same calories (or more) but less often. Depending on how much or little you eat per meal, every four to six hours is a good range. You’ll start gaining better.

3 Likes

I’ll give that some thought thanks!

I know exactly what you mean.

Let me know if I can help.

This is interesting, since it’s not a complete protein. Do you mean most effective in terms of MPS elevation? I’ve not read this so I’m curious

Yes that’s what I meant. I see now that my post is kind of confusing, but yes. Leucine is the amino acid most responsible for spiking MPS. The literature suggests that it works most efficiently when it’s taken in isolation from other aminos as compared to a complete protein or full spectrum of amino acids.

1 Like

Before it was noted in science, I remember telling Dr. Tim Ziegenfuss that we were seeing much better results with leucine in isolation, and that combining isoleucine, valine, or other proteins significantly diminished effects. So, it’s a big difference you would notice.

4 Likes