New Muscle Pump Coaching

I agree, I think the loaded stretches (which are a concept I also benefited from while doing DC and Fortitude Training) as well as emphasized negatives really helps fill the muscles with a lot of blood and nutrients as well as lactic acid that facilitate the fatigue and pump that I get. It really feels like a great plateau-busting routine and Pump training is very fun as well. Walking around with pumped muscles all the time really gives a whole different, “full” look to them too.

3 Likes

@Tim_Patterson
Maybe I am interpreting results wrong but seems like Surge is designed to keep the muscles full even on “off” days. My Lats still feel pumped (for lack of a better term) the day after the workout. Not quite as full as in the moment training but with the Surge I don’t think they have fallen back to previous size either.

Wife also commented I was looking lean in my back the other day, mostly because my Lats were dominating my shirt instead of my waist.

If this is the goal of Surge - it works. Looking forward to seeing my after measurements.

2 Likes

Army (currently Active Guard)

3 Likes

I was Army! Back under General Washington, I think.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Three questions/observations after completing my first week:

1. How hard is everyone going on the pump phase? Until rep speed slows? RPE 8/10?

2. The leg workouts are out of body experiences. I have to use about 50-60 percent of my max to be in the ballpark to hit the target reps/holds. The hold and pump work create a ton of fatigue.

3. I’m absolutely ravenous all the time.

Looking forward to the next three weeks. This has been an awesome experience so far; can’t wait to get back after it.

Took Surge this am for the first time.

Knocked nearly 3min off my best 500 KB swing challenge time, definitely noticed shorter recovery and grip lasted longer into the latter sets. Wrote a bit more in my log on it.

Will rotate onto the program tomorrow morning, once I get my head around it!

1 Like

I go pretty hard on the pump phase, not to failure, but if you’re fairly experienced, you should know what a hard set feels like. It should definitely be a challenge. Your pump sets are just your nice, old-school style hard set, a rep or two from failure. Your form should be perfect from your first rep to your last.

This is all just my interpretation, but it’s certainly what feels right to me in the sessions I’ve had thus far.

1 Like

Right on. You get it!

2 Likes

Workout 3 in the books.

That biceps block is especially killer while maintaining strict form.

2 Likes

Ready for block two today, I am not understanding the procedure on the Zottman curl and the rotation to hammer curl grip. On the Zottman you start with palms facing forward and in top position rotate palms down and lower. Where does the rotation to hammer come in?

1 Like

You first do all the ZCurls. Then you turn your thumbs up and do hammer curls. Finally you go into regular dumbbell curls. Over the three sets, you use the same dumbbells without resting.

1 Like

Ah thank you, the rotation is at the end of each set of curls, I interpreted the rotation as being during each set.

1 Like

You actually rotate, or pronate, on the negative phase of each Z rep. You supinate on the positive and pronate on the negative – back and forth for 8-10 reps.

1 Like

Ty, another question, narrow grip and wide grip curls, how many inches spacing for each?

Narrow: hands approximately 4 inches apart. Wide: 4 inches wider than shoulders.

1 Like

Appreciate the prompt reply

1 Like

The heat likely played into this, but today was easily the toughest workout so far. From the opening portion with the squats to ripping my chest fibers apart with bench, it was very brutal and I loved every second of it.

2 Likes

Completed workout 4 yesterday. Great overall pump in all muscles worked. No soreness to report, I still feel like I just worked out the next day. Definately feeling the suite jacket a little tighter in the arms, and back… I just bought three new suits, I hope they still fit after the month of training…

Which one did you do?

Day 2 of week 2.