New Movie Trailers and Spoilers

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

One movie that I am looking forward to is Drive - it’s about a Hollywood stunt driver who moonlights as a getaway driver. It has been described as an arthouse action movie:

THAT looks fucking badass.[/quote]

Dude…

Yessir. Christina Hendricks too? Bring the noise, why wasn’t this a summer blockbuster?
[/quote]

It’s not mainstream enough. The critics at Cannes went crazy over it, so it appeals to the highbrow set who’d normally turn their noses up at anything with action in it.

The violence is said to be extremely graphic (to give you an idea, the director, Nicholas Winding Refn consulted Gaspar Noe on how to approach the violent scenes. If you’ve seen any of Noe’s films, you know what to expect), and the car chases top anything in recent action films. The whole tone of the movie owes more to '80s action flicks than to what we’ve been used to in a typical action film. That means No CGI.

That clip I posted is one of the most exciting scenes I’ve seen in a long time, and the great thing is that nothing really happens in it.[/quote]
I thought the movie was great. The movie has a different vibe to it. The violence is pretty graphic. The music adds a nice touch.[/quote]

Cool. I will be paying full ticket price for this.

[quote]roybot wrote:
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy:

Brilliantly cast spy thriller topped off with Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman (who finally gets a long overdue shot at an Oscar)…[/quote]

I just saw this. The trailer is a starter to the movie’s main course. The whole cast were good, but John Hurt, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong, and of course, the mighty Gary Oldman were outstanding.

Forget Bourne and Bond. This is as realistic as a spy movie gets: very slow burning with an emphasis on atmosphere over action.

The threat of danger is so casual in this that George Smiley (Oldman) stops to unwrap a mint while waiting to capture a double agent. And he’s supposed to be retired…

Great movie indeed. The writing and acting are excellent. As well as the atmosphere and attention to details. Gary Oldman is just mesmerising, especially in that scene where he talks about meeting Karla.

The only thing that can put off some people is the slow pace and flashbacks scenes. Even at the end of the movie, some of my friends were still wondering what it was all about, lol.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Great movie indeed. The writing and acting are excellent. As well as the atmosphere and attention to details. Gary Oldman is just mesmerising, especially in that scene where he talks about meeting Karla.

The only thing that can put off some people is the slow pace and flashbacks scenes. Even at the end of the movie, some of my friends were still wondering what it was all about, lol.[/quote]

Damn I didnt even realize it was out.

Did you or Roy read the book?

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy:

Brilliantly cast spy thriller topped off with Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman (who finally gets a long overdue shot at an Oscar)…[/quote]

I just saw this. The trailer is a starter to the movie’s main course. The whole cast were good, but John Hurt, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong, and of course, the mighty Gary Oldman were outstanding.

Forget Bourne and Bond. This is as realistic as a spy movie gets: very slow burning with an emphasis on atmosphere over action.

The threat of danger is so casual in this that George Smiley (Oldman) stops to unwrap a mint while waiting to capture a double agent. And he’s supposed to be retired…[/quote]

I have no words for the Cool-calculated-Hotness of that trailer. Will watch.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

The only thing that can put off some people is the slow pace and flashbacks scenes. Even at the end of the movie, some of my friends were still wondering what it was all about, lol.[/quote]

Did you or Roy read the book?[/quote]

Yes I did read the book.

Maybe that’s why I had no trouble with the different angles the movie took. My friends were definitely confused lol. One of them fell asleep 10 mins in, haha!!

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

Yes I did read the book.

Maybe that’s why I had no trouble with the different angles the movie took. My friends were definitely confused lol. One of them fell asleep 10 mins in, haha!!
[/quote]

Yea I read the book years ago, but it will come back quick when I watch it.

Have to watch this one without the wife. Her words are “I have enough drama in my own life why do I want to watch a dramatic movie?”

^ Lol

:slight_smile:

I saw Drive.

I understand why people are excited about it, based on the trailers, etc.

However,

I didn’t hate it, but it didn’t blow my doors off either. I’m not exactly sure where I’ll end up grading it, I’m not smart enough or hip enough to see what a masterpiece it is? Hard to say.

I will say this, though, there is no reason to rush to the theater to see it. A good high def system in your house will suffice once it hits the rental market. The soundtrack bothered me, a lot. All synth. I can understand the retro feel of it, but once you commit to all synth it’s not stylish, it’s lazy.

Violence was poignant, abrubt, and cleanly shot.
Suspense was great
Albert Brooks as a mobster? I wonder why he hadn’t had that kind of part till now.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

Yes I did read the book.

[/quote]

Yea I read the book years ago, but it will come back quick when I watch it.

Have to watch this one without the wife. Her words are “I have enough drama in my own life why do I want to watch a dramatic movie?”

[/quote]

I’ve never read the book, but it made the top of my reading list after watching this; I had no problem understanding the movie but my friends also came out of it scratching their heads over certain plot points.

The stronger your attention span and the more invested you are in the story, the more you’ll get out of it. The first ten minutes had me hooked.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I saw Drive.

However,

I didn’t hate it, but it didn’t blow my doors off either. I’m not exactly sure where I’ll end up grading it, I’m not smart enough or hip enough to see what a masterpiece it is? Hard to say.

I will say this, though, there is no reason to rush to the theater to see it. A good high def system in your house will suffice once it hits the rental market. The soundtrack bothered me, a lot. All synth. I can understand the retro feel of it, but once you commit to all synth it’s not stylish, it’s lazy.

Suspense was great
Albert Brooks as a mobster? I wonder why he hadn’t had that kind of part till now.
[/quote]
I thought the music was great. I went home and downloaded some of the songs from it. It’s refreshing to hear something like that with all the garbage that is out these days. The director purposely made the movie to see like an 80’s loaner type of movie. You couldn’t tell with the pink lettering in the beginning? It is a low budget movie with no CGI so there isn’t going to be anything great about seeing it on a big screen other than the fact you get to see it right now. I thought it was great and I know a lot of people hate it, but whateva!!

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I saw Drive.

However,

Suspense was great
[/quote]
I thought the music was great. I went home and downloaded some of the songs from it. It’s refreshing to hear something like that with all the garbage that is out these days. The director purposely made the movie to see like an 80’s loaner type of movie. You couldn’t tell with the pink lettering in the beginning? It is a low budget movie with no CGI so there isn’t going to be anything great about seeing it on a big screen other than the fact you get to see it right now. I thought it was great and I know a lot of people hate it, but whateva!![/quote]

Yeah man, as soon as I saw the pink lipstick titles I figured this would be a big ol’ nod to the 80’s.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
That real hero real human being song at the end? Too much of a committment to being “noire” or retro. That song as a stand alone is not musical or melodic, it’s the film makers saying to me that “we know this song is us nudging you into what we want you to think of The Driver, and we don’t care.”

Understand, too, that I was all excited about this film, could not wait for it. I appreciate that there weren’t any CGI sequences, for sure, but there were a lot of time wasting shots on Gosling and Mulligan or the back of his jacket that made me antsy.

Now, maybe that’s my fault for watching too many main-stream movies that bounce along at a faster pace, but I cannot equate those long sequences into what the critics are drooling over. Rotten Tomatoes has this movie sitting at 92%, which means to me that it’s damn near perfect. But to me, it isn’t.

There are incredibly powerful moments in this film.
Incredibly violent moments
Deftly acted in some spots
Visually striking

But as an entire product? Not as good as I hoped, and I think this premise even with a larger budget would have me feeling the same way.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

Ha! Even though I wouldn’t describe this as a “date movie”, I did notice that the audience was mostly made up of elderly couples. Weird when most of the relationships in the movie hit a dead end at one point or another. Not to give away too much, but emotional attachment/ detachment is a major theme in the movie.

Relationships are exploited to the max and tested to destruction…

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

Ha! Even though I wouldn’t describe this as a “date movie”, I did notice that the audience was mostly made up of elderly couples. Weird when most of the relationships in the movie hit a dead end at one point or another. Not to give away too much, but emotional attachment/ detachment is a major theme in the movie.

Relationships are exploited to the max and tested to destruction…[/quote]

The wife and I love movies we actually have our own language were we quote movies at each other. Drives my father in law nuts.

My reference is more to the fact my wife JLo on here is at a point where she enjoys the escape factors of movies. (Our 5 teenagers bring enough drama plus the grandchild) So she likes to watch action, some scifi and comedies. She went to watch Expendables with me and loved it. Serious dramas that need to be “immersed” in to enjoy she just does not dig them. :slight_smile:

Just thought I would share Roy.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

The wife and I love movies we actually have our own language were we quote movies at each other. Drives my father in law nuts.

My reference is more to the fact my wife JLo on here is at a point where she enjoys the escape factors of movies. (Our 5 teenagers bring enough drama plus the grandchild) So she likes to watch action, some scifi and comedies. She went to watch Expendables with me and loved it. Serious dramas that need to be “immersed” in to enjoy she just does not dig them. :slight_smile:

Just thought I would share Roy. [/quote]

Yeah, I understood what you meant, D. I just went off into a digression about how many elderly couples were in the audience (meaning retirement age). No real point to it beyond the movie not resembling a date movie. But it’s pretty awesome how a couple can bond over a quality movie like Tinker, Tailor and not need a slushy rom-com to re-kindle the fires.

Have to read the book, now. Apparently sales have sky-rocketed since the movie’s release…

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, I understood what you meant, D. I just went off into a digression about how many elderly couples were in the audience (meaning retirement age). No real point to it beyond the movie not resembling a date movie. But it’s pretty awesome how a couple can bond over a quality movie like Tinker, Tailor and not need a slushy rom-com to re-kindle the fires.

Have to read the book, now. Apparently sales have sky-rocketed since the movie’s release…[/quote]

This movie is not in any theaters near me. Frowny.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

Have to read the book, now. Apparently sales have sky-rocketed since the movie’s release…[/quote]

This movie is not in any theaters near me. Frowny.[/quote]

It will be, around December 9th :wink:

13:

I made a post about this a while ago. An underground syndicate bets on an extreme version of Russian roulette…If you can’t wait for the remake, watch the French original (13 Tzameti):

[quote]silverblood wrote:
read the John Carter books growing up. hope this is good

JOHN CARTER | Trailer 2012 -- Official Movie Trailer | Official Disney UK - YouTube [/quote]

OK. I just found out that this is Pixar’s first live-action movie. The bar has been raised…

Cell 211:

Early word has this pegged as the Spanish Die Hard…a rookie PO gets trapped with the inmates during a prison riot and has to pretend he is a con himself in order to survive…