T Nation

New MMA Style

I was thinking about more exciting MMA rules, has anyone thought of or put on a promotion with a 3 strikes and out submission system? I think a system where the guy who got 3 submissions wins vs 1 wins fight would be better. It would definetely encourage groundfighting and increase knockouts, what do you think?

I think this would be a great way to elect representatives.

No weight classes and to the death.

It would gives a whole new meaning to the term “undefeated”.

"We don’t need no stinking belts.

And knives and guns should be allowed as well, its just the natural progression, don,t want the sport to lose it’s edge.

f

Fuck this gay shit.
Bring back the gladiators.

Ultimate hunting like “The Most Dangerous Game” except they film it.

How about “Golf MMA.” You play a hole of golf and then you step into the ring for 2 minutes. Repeat for 9 holes and 18 minutes of MMA fun!

I think they should also fight in loincloths with hand wraps that are dipped first in glue, and then in broken bottles.

I don’t get it. I just think 1 submission does not a fight make. If the guy doesn’t want to go on, let him not go on. But if he gets put in a lock for a second, and taps, stand them back up and let them go some more.

How many fights have gone where some freak submission saved the loser from defeat. 1 submission may be luck, 3 submission is surely skill. So let skill triumph over luck.

Anyone see Silva vs Chonan?

Yeah it was an incredible submission but remember Chonan was winning the fight and Silva was hurt. If the ref let the submission go on you’d understand why it’s a ligitmate finish.

Using that same logic, why should a KO or TKO end a fight either? Why not let them come to and continue the fight? Plenty of fights have ended with the under dog getting in a good punch for a knockout when he would have otherwise lost…

[quote]3IdSpetsnaz wrote:
I don’t get it. I just think 1 submission does not a fight make. [/quote]

Ever had a sub slapped on you? I’d suggest you go to a sub/mma academy and asked to get a sub slapped on you, FULL FORCE as it’s done in a fight. Then YOU’LL GET IT.

If the guy doesn’t want to go on, let him not go on. But if he gets put in a lock for a second, and taps, stand them back up and let them go some more.[/quote]

I don’t think you understand what a sub is and what it does to you, which is funny considering your user name is suffixed with Spetsnaz (considering all the SAMBO training those crazy Ruskies do.)

How many fights have gone where some freak submission saved the loser from defeat.[/quote]

How many? Give me a ratio of freak wins over legit wins out of, say, 1000 MMA fighs. Then prove that those were indeed freak wins as opposed of remote-control-from-the-couch opinions. Then explain how that ratio might justify the rules you are suggesting.

1 submission may be luck, 3 submission is surely skill. So let skill triumph over luck.[/quote]

You think getting a submission might be luck?

Anyone see Silva vs Chonan?[/quote]

That was one of the most awesome leg locks of all time. You don’t pull that kind of shit unless you have the skills and the timing down cold. If you think that was just luck as opposed to actual skill, I have to say it again: you don’t know what you are talking about, in particular with leg locks (which is the bread and butter of crazy SAMBO Ruskies.)

I’d say they do aerial drops of weapons into the cages on the minute. First you start with small bladed weapons and then move on up to laser guided nukes. that should entertain the sub intelligent masses for about 3 seconds until they get bored with that and go back to watching springer.

I don’t get it. I just think 1 submission does not a fight make. If the guy doesn’t want to go on, let him not go on. But if he gets put in a lock for a second, and taps, stand them back up and let them go some more.

How many fights have gone where some freak submission saved the loser from defeat. 1 submission may be luck, 3 submission is surely skill. So let skill triumph over luck.

Anyone see Silva vs Chonan?[/quote]

What? The Fuck?
Dude you’re either ignorant about submissions or retarded.
Listen, the point of MMA is to either out-point or ‘finish’ fights. When a guy is choked out, arm-locked or leg-locked, is he not, then, ‘finished’. Forrest Griffin fought with a broken arm, as did Couture, but they are exceptions to the rule. You tap, the fight is over, don’t make it more complicated than it is.
Plus do you have any idea how difficult it is to attain a submission in those circumstances.

I know subs man. What I’m saying is, if my arm is not fucking broken, and I want to keep fighting, why stop me? In a real fight anyways, a broken arm would not keep you from continuing, so if your arm is not broken, then let at it.

I’m not saying all MMA org should be chang, but I think a 3 sub match would definetely be a cool variation.
If I’m correct, the rules I have stated are the rules that are used by the US Submission Wrestling Association, or perhaps I’m wrong. Anyways, Mr L33T, Spetsnaz trained didn’t train i the Sambo you speak of. The Russian military trained in Combat Sambo which is a krav maga-type art, unlike the national Wrestling style of the former Soviet Union, however, it does encompass many if not all of the techniques.

BTW, Sambo just means like 'unarmed combat,'technically (defense without weapon) so there are several variations, so saying Spetsnaz trained Sambo is like, saying "Army trains ‘UNARMED COMBAT,’ you should know that blah blah, because Army trains ‘Unarmed Combat.’

Anyways, Spetsnaz in itself is a pretty generic term, it just means Special Forces, and the training of Russian special forces varies like night and day depending on purpose. What we commonly associate with Spetsnaz, would be Spetsnaz Alfa and Spetsnaz Vympel, which are the 1337 ninja assassins you think of.

To go further, if I’m correct, Vympel and Alfa, primarily focused on ‘Systema,’ martial art, and didn’t focus on the ‘Sport Sambo’ grappling style which you’ve brought up. However, I’m sure they had some training in ‘Combat Sambo’ krav maga esque style, probably from their infantry training. However the primary art of the Vympel, and Alfa units was ‘Systema,’ which is a different style of art entirely.

I don’t think you understand what a sub is and what it does to you, which is funny considering your user name is suffixed with Spetsnaz (considering all the SAMBO training those crazy Ruskies do.)
I know subs man. What I’m saying is, if my arm is not fucking broken, and I want to keep fighting, why stop me? In a real fight anyways, a broken arm would not keep you from continuing, so if your arm is not broken, then let at it.
[/quote]
What?
A broken arm would fuck you up pretty good.
Sure, you could “continue” but the guy you’re fighting would be kicking your ass with 2 hands while you only had one to defend. Not only that, the tremendous pain and obvious weakness would make it an easy target for the attack.
Let’s not forget the blood lose and possibility of passing out due to pain.

I was thinking about more exciting MMA rules, has anyone thought of or put on a promotion with a 3 strikes and out submission system? I think a system where the guy who got 3 submissions wins vs 1 wins fight would be better. It would definetely encourage groundfighting and increase knockouts, what do you think?[/quote]

THAA PHUUUUCK?

do you understand what TAPPING OUT from a SUBMISSION is? it is GIVING UP. you dont want to give up then dont tap and take the broken arm. its been done before. please explain how it would make sense to allow someone to give up THREE times within the course of ONE fight?

what next? super nintendo style reset button in a mma fight when you fuck up?

09 in the house.

elnyka wrote:

I know subs man. [/quote]

No, you don’t know subs.

What I’m saying is, if my arm is not fucking broken, and I want to keep fighting, why stop me? In a real fight anyways, a broken arm would not keep you from continuing, so if your arm is not broken, then let at it.[/quote]

1. You arm is not fucking broken because you tap before it gets broken.

2. How many real fights you have been or have witnessed that you can use as reference to point out a broken arm does not stop a fight. Unless it’s a fight to the death or a combat situation. But IN REAL LIFE, most fights aren’t like that. A couple of well-placed punches to the face will take the e-Rambo out of most folks very quickly, let alone a broken limb.

3. Just because you want to fight that doesn’t mean you should be allowed. You can be suffering from a concussion but still want to fight due to adrenaline. That’s what a doc’s stoppage is for.

4. MMA is not Mortal Kombat, it’s not uber-duper-super-soldier training for the d34dl3y, or a Freak Show - it’s a combat sports, with men trying to make a living as athletes. Try to pull that no tap shit will make your combat sports career a very short one - in particular when no one wants to cover your medical expenses.

I’ve been put in armbars, on both arms, and this wasn’t even fighting but friendly sparring. It’s been more than two years now, and I still have a hard time curling anything remotely heavy with my left arm from time to time. God forbid a armbar at full power in a real MMA fight. You can’t even wipe your own ass if that shit is broken.

I’m not saying all MMA org should be chang, but I think a 3 sub match would definetely be a cool variation.
[/quote]

[photo]25496[/photo]

If I’m correct, the rules I have stated are the rules that are used by the US Submission Wrestling Association, or perhaps I’m wrong.
[/quote]

1. MMA =/= Submission wrestling.

2. Perhaps you might want to familiarize with the rules to the point where you no longer have to say “or perhaps I’m wrong” before trying to quote them? Revolutionary concept, I know!

3. What’s this “US Submission Wrestling Association” that you speak off?

Anyways, Mr L33T, Spetsnaz trained didn’t train i the Sambo you speak of. The Russian military trained in Combat Sambo which is a krav maga-type art, unlike the national Wrestling style of the former Soviet Union, however, it does encompass many if not all of the techniques.
[/quote]

Oh wow, thanks for the lecture. I would also assume that you know that Sambo is a term that encompasses several schools of training, including but not limited to Sports Sambo and Combat Sambo, and that both have a strong emphasis on locks, and given the nasty nature of them and the tremendous amount of skill required to pull them off in a real life situation, I find it funny that a guy with “Spetsnaz” as the suffix of his username suggests or even implies that 1 sub might be dumb luck and that a broken arm is not, in general, a fight ender.

BTW, Sambo just means like 'unarmed combat,'technically (defense without weapon) so there are several variations, so saying Spetsnaz trained Sambo is like, saying "Army trains ‘UNARMED COMBAT,’ you should know that blah blah, because Army trains ‘Unarmed Combat.’[/quote]

Noooo, really, whowouldhavetunk? Sambo, not Sambo.

As for the rest of what you wrote, what else can I say, google and wikipedia are awesome.