New Methods Results

[quote]thoughts1053 wrote:

[quote]as wrote:

[quote]dayne_lathrop wrote:

[quote]believer423 wrote:
I’m having trouble putting together a training program based on these videos/methods. Since you’ve had such good luck with yours, would you mind taking the time to post up your typical cycle? I would much appreciate it. It would be interesting in seeing how one’s program varies from anothers…Thank you[/quote]

dont know if you meant me, but ill go ahead and kind of lay out what i have been doing considering ive been very happy with the progress ive made.

monday-am. performance pressing circuit day/ p.m HIIT
tuesday- Nueral charge workout
wednesday-Performance pressing/ p.m HIIT
thursday-legs performance
friday-foundation
saturday-performance pressing/ p.m. HIIT
sunday-nueral charge workout

with the foundation days i have been using either straight sets of 6-10, or likely (my favorite) trisets for each muscle group (abs, lats, biceps). the rep range for these muscles always stay higher though (6-12). i have been using this split for a while now, but the only thing that was different a couple weeks ago was instead of foundation day, i had a “pulling” day. Then i started working mid back and traps/ rhomboids on the two regular performance pressing days, and threw in the foundation day.

the circuit pressing workout is like the one in the video in a way. i do:

strength circuit (3 compound exercises 4-6 rounds)
isolation circuit (2 shoulder and two tricep exercises 3-5 rounds)
max rep circuit (with two exercises from the strength circuit and two from the iso circuit)

the max rep is only done once, and the rep range for the strength circuit stays around 3-5 reps, as the isolation i shoot for 6-8.

i like to switch things up on my leg day, so like the performance pressing day, i never use the same exercises.

hope that gives you kind of an idea. just ask me a question if you have any, no sweat.

[/quote]

Hey Dayne, I thought I was originally doing something very similar to your routine but was a little confused after reading your post.
Are you doing the strength circuit, isolation circuit and max rep set all on the monday performance day after the regular series of ramping pressing esercises?
Or are you picking and doing a different type of circuit after each performance workout on monday, wednesday and saturday? Thanks.
By the way this routine does not work for me if I’m not doing the anaconda protocol. I just don’t recover. Strength was going up until I ran out. Actually barely hanging on to current strength levels now. Gotta place another order even though my digestive systems doesn’t agree with it lol.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure on Monday he is only doing all circuits without the regular series of ramping.

On that note, layne, don’t you feel that kind of split is somewhat imbalanced? I know CT says that performance muscles need more frequency, but 3 days seems like a lot. Same amount of days for a spec phase. I’m not saying what you’re doing is wrong, I’m asking how it’s working, feels, etc. Are you trying to do a spec phase or does this just work out better for you? I’m planning on moving to a similar split next week, but possibly how CT had it split:

Upper Body Performance
Lower Body Performance
Foundation
Neural Charge
Upper Body Performance
Lower Body
Neural Charge[/quote]

funny you mention that i have 3 pressing workouts. i am in fact trying to specialize for the time my shoulders/chest/triceps. my shoulders and triceps ESPECIALLY. i have always had a bigger looking chest compared to my other pushing muscles, so i am doing this split for about 4-6 weeks possibly. i WAS doing only two pressing performance days and two pulling days, and that worked out well, i have just (a couple weeks ago) recently thought i would start splitting up my pulling into a foundation day, and the traps rhomboids and rear delts on saturdays and wednesdays. you are correct in the assumption that i meant that the circuits that i mentioned, i do them as one workout on monday. SOMETIMES i will add a max rep circuit for my chest/tris/shoulders on either saturday or wednesday. this is to try and further focus on my delts and tris. but most of the time, i do alot more actual performance work (ramping 3-5) with also working the assistance muscles (traps, rhomboids, rear delts).

going back to 3 days pressing: i cant really say how long i will do this, but for now it has really been helping. if i do change it, i will go back to 2 general pressing performance workouts, and split my legs into 2 session (hip dominant/ quad dominant) and drop the circuit workout.

[quote]as wrote:

I’m having trouble putting together a training program based on these videos/methods. Since you’ve had such good luck with yours, would you mind taking the time to post up your typical cycle? I would much appreciate it. It would be interesting in seeing how one’s program varies from anothers…Thank you[/quote]

dont know if you meant me, but ill go ahead and kind of lay out what i have been doing considering ive been very happy with the progress ive made.

monday-am. performance pressing circuit day/ p.m HIIT
tuesday- Nueral charge workout
wednesday-Performance pressing/ p.m HIIT
thursday-legs performance
friday-foundation
saturday-performance pressing/ p.m. HIIT
sunday-nueral charge workout

with the foundation days i have been using either straight sets of 6-10, or likely (my favorite) trisets for each muscle group (abs, lats, biceps). the rep range for these muscles always stay higher though (6-12). i have been using this split for a while now, but the only thing that was different a couple weeks ago was instead of foundation day, i had a “pulling” day. Then i started working mid back and traps/ rhomboids on the two regular performance pressing days, and threw in the foundation day.

the circuit pressing workout is like the one in the video in a way. i do:

strength circuit (3 compound exercises 4-6 rounds)
isolation circuit (2 shoulder and two tricep exercises 3-5 rounds)
max rep circuit (with two exercises from the strength circuit and two from the iso circuit)

the max rep is only done once, and the rep range for the strength circuit stays around 3-5 reps, as the isolation i shoot for 6-8.

i like to switch things up on my leg day, so like the performance pressing day, i never use the same exercises.

hope that gives you kind of an idea. just ask me a question if you have any, no sweat.

[/quote]

Hey Dayne, I thought I was originally doing something very similar to your routine but was a little confused after reading your post.
Are you doing the strength circuit, isolation circuit and max rep set all on the monday performance day after the regular series of ramping pressing esercises?
Or are you picking and doing a different type of circuit after each performance workout on monday, wednesday and saturday? Thanks.
By the way this routine does not work for me if I’m not doing the anaconda protocol. I just don’t recover. Strength was going up until I ran out. Actually barely hanging on to current strength levels now. Gotta place another order even though my digestive systems doesn’t agree with it lol.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure on Monday he is only doing all circuits without the regular series of ramping.

On that note, layne, don’t you feel that kind of split is somewhat imbalanced? I know CT says that performance muscles need more frequency, but 3 days seems like a lot. Same amount of days for a spec phase. I’m not saying what you’re doing is wrong, I’m asking how it’s working, feels, etc. Are you trying to do a spec phase or does this just work out better for you? I’m planning on moving to a similar split next week, but possibly how CT had it split:

Upper Body Performance
Lower Body Performance
Foundation
Neural Charge
Upper Body Performance
Lower Body
Neural Charge[/quote]

funny you mention that i have 3 pressing workouts. i am in fact trying to specialize for the time my shoulders/chest/triceps. my shoulders and triceps ESPECIALLY. i have always had a bigger looking chest compared to my other pushing muscles, so i am doing this split for about 4-6 weeks possibly. i WAS doing only two pressing performance days and two pulling days, and that worked out well, i have just (a couple weeks ago) recently thought i would start splitting up my pulling into a foundation day, and the traps rhomboids and rear delts on saturdays and wednesdays. you are correct in the assumption that i meant that the circuits that i mentioned, i do them as one workout on monday. SOMETIMES i will add a max rep circuit for my chest/tris/shoulders on either saturday or wednesday. this is to try and further focus on my delts and tris. but most of the time, i do alot more actual performance work (ramping 3-5) with also working the assistance muscles (traps, rhomboids, rear delts).

going back to 3 days pressing: i cant really say how long i will do this, but for now it has really been helping. if i do change it, i will go back to 2 general pressing performance workouts, and split my legs into 2 session (hip dominant/ quad dominant) and drop the circuit workout.[/quote]

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Im doing same thing with 3 performace days to also bring up delts and tris. And concidantally I also will go back to the 2 performance days and 2 leg sessions hip dominant/ quad dominant just like you. That split always worked well for me.

Hey Dayne one more question if you don’t mind. Do you remember in a post that Thibs mentioned training the performance muscles 3 days in a row at the begining of the week before gong back to them again? Do you remember the purpose or theory behind it? I don’t remember where thread was. Thanks.

[quote]as wrote:
Hey Dayne one more question if you don’t mind. Do you remember in a post that Thibs mentioned training the performance muscles 3 days in a row at the begining of the week before gong back to them again? Do you remember the purpose or theory behind it? I don’t remember where thread was. Thanks.[/quote]

he mentioned it in his last training thread (#3) as well as all over the live spills. it was the concentrated loading spec. approach. i can understand the theory behind it and why it would work, but personally if tried to type it out and explain it i would ramble forever (i have a problem with that). sometimes its hard for me to organize thoughts haha. i will say that it has something relating to the fact that the more mechanical loading you can do for a muscle while still being able to recover, the more you will be able to progress. putting that much mechanical stress on one muscle or movement pattern for 3 days straight would probably drastically improve gains if done right. of course, this is while being able to RECOVER optimally. i would personally have put all 3 pressing days at the beginning of the week, but the reason i didnt was because like someone mentioned above, my shoulders become very tender so i decided to split this a day apart. it has still made marked improvements this way.

to give a better idea of some specifics in my training, here is an example of one of my general pressing workouts that i had posted in another forum.

push press throws- 3-5 sets of 3-5
military press- ramping sets of 3-5
incline press- ramping sets of 3-5
bench press- ramping sets of 3-5
decline nosebreakers- 3-4 sets of 6-8

max reps circuit- military press with 70% of weight reached/ incline press with 70% of weight reached/ lateral raises/nosebreakers with 80% of weight reached/ pushups on bench

perform circuit ONCE. i say once because i think it would be overkill to do it twice after the added exercises to the cicuit and the isolation exercise.

this is just an example of one type of workout that i did, i do other variations (either to work more on delts, or no isolation work and focus on traps/rhomboids/delts, no max rep circuit, etc.) i mainly go by how i am feeling that day, as no two days for me i ever feel the same. also, i am focusing my workout sometimes to further bring up my delts and tri’s, so not everyone would probably need isolation work added, especially if you do enough heavy general pressing. i just personally have imbalances i am working with.

dayne and as,

As far as three pressing days, CT recommended it for the concentrated loading spec. I actually tried it this week and you are definitely tight/sore while still doing the other pressing days. I think if you plan on specializing in the movement for one week or two than this is the way to go. Just push through it and you’ll get good results.

However, if you want to keep three pressing days for a longer period of time, I like the setup you (dayne) are using. I’ll prob start with two lower body days, two upper body performance days, and one foundation and then switch to your setup after a month or two.

Also, I don’t think it would hurt if you always keep a max rep circuit on Wednesday and Saturday. I always do one at the end of all my workouts.

On the topic of concentrated loading, I did two weeks (technically 12 days) of concentrated legs (3 leg days in a row, 1 push, 1 pull, rest, repeat) and I was amazed at how much weight I was able to handle. I hit a 5 rep PR for beltless conventional deadlift on the final (3rd workout of the 2nd rotation) workout and that was after ramping on SLDL 5 reps, so I wasn’t exactly fresh. I used eccentric less sessions several hours after each leg workout to help with recovery, and actually pushed those sessions pretty hard as well.

dayne and as,

As far as three pressing days, CT recommended it for the concentrated loading spec. I actually tried it this week and you are definitely tight/sore while still doing the other pressing days. I think if you plan on specializing in the movement for one week or two than this is the way to go. Just push through it and you’ll get good results.

However, if you want to keep three pressing days for a longer period of time, I like the setup you (dayne) are using. I’ll prob start with two lower body days, two upper body performance days, and one foundation and then switch to your setup after a month or two.

Also, I don’t think it would hurt if you always keep a max rep circuit on Wednesday and Saturday. I always do one at the end of all my workouts.[/quote]

well i usually keep a max rep circuit in on the days my shoulders are feeling fresh. whenever i had two pressing days, i almost always put a general strength max rep circuit at the end, but with the added circuit day, im just seeing how my body responds and what not. other than that, i have been trying to also focus on getting the work in for my rhomboids/ triceps/ delts. i think ill try my next workout by staggering the assistance muscles, then at the end i will throw in a max rep circuit for chest/tricep/shoulders, and see i how i respond. doesnt hurt to try after all…

to give a better idea of some specifics in my training, here is an example of one of my general pressing workouts that i had posted in another forum.

max reps circuit- military press with 70% of weight reached/ incline press with 70% of weight reached/ lateral raises/nosebreakers with 80% of weight reached/ pushups on bench

perform circuit ONCE. i say once because i think it would be overkill to do it twice after the added exercises to the cicuit and the isolation exercise.

this is just an example of one type of workout that i did, i do other variations (either to work more on delts, or no isolation work and focus on traps/rhomboids/delts, no max rep circuit, etc.) i mainly go by how i am feeling that day, as no two days for me i ever feel the same. also, i am focusing my workout sometimes to further bring up my delts and tri’s, so not everyone would probably need isolation work added, especially if you do enough heavy general pressing. i just personally have imbalances i am working with.[/quote]

Thanks for the specifics…you mention another thread. Could you provide a link? I’m intrigued. Hope it’s not too much trouble.

dayne and as,

Also, I don’t think it would hurt if you always keep a max rep circuit on Wednesday and Saturday. I always do one at the end of all my workouts.[/quote]

well i usually keep a max rep circuit in on the days my shoulders are feeling fresh. whenever i had two pressing days, i almost always put a general strength max rep circuit at the end, but with the added circuit day, im just seeing how my body responds and what not. other than that, i have been trying to also focus on getting the work in for my rhomboids/ triceps/ delts. i think ill try my next workout by staggering the assistance muscles, then at the end i will throw in a max rep circuit for chest/tricep/shoulders, and see i how i respond. doesnt hurt to try after all…[/quote]

Didn’t realize you weren’t doing the staggered approach yet. It would be tough to do both assitance work and a max rep circuit at the end of the workout. I’ve been doing staggered work with bands and blast straps and love it. It’s a great way to do more work in less time and makes you continually move without exhausting you for your pressing sets.

dayne and as,

[/quote]

well i usually keep a max rep circuit in on the days my shoulders are feeling fresh. whenever i had two pressing days, i almost always put a general strength max rep circuit at the end, but with the added circuit day, im just seeing how my body responds and what not. other than that, i have been trying to also focus on getting the work in for my rhomboids/ triceps/ delts. i think ill try my next workout by staggering the assistance muscles, then at the end i will throw in a max rep circuit for chest/tricep/shoulders, and see i how i respond. doesnt hurt to try after all…[/quote]

Also, I don’t think it would hurt if you always keep a max rep circuit on Wednesday and Saturday. I always do one at the end of all my workouts.

Ok thanks Dayne and Thoughts. Dayne my actual monday performance workout is exactly the same as your example. Wed and fri I do the same movement pattern but change exercises, and I always try to get a max reps circuit at the end of each unless I’m feeling beat up. I get tender in shoulders also from too frequent pressing. Happened to me on I bodybuilder shoulder spec.

I was just reading among a couple of the threads and i realized that alot readers (myself included) have been incorporating Thibs new training methods that he used with Darryl for his contest prep (High performance training).

I honestly could not have asked for better guidance and new training ideas, and i have been having great results using all of these new methods (circuits, NC workouts, concentrated spec, eccentricless training, etc.)

I wanted to share my results from the past 7 weeks of incorporating these methods, and i was also curious as to how others are liking these new training ideas as well?

just as an example, in the past 7 weeks my: (all 3 rep maximums)

incline bench press - up 50 pounds
bench press- up 30 pounds
leg press- up 150 pounds
squat- up 40 pounds
military press- up 25 pounds
weighted dips- up 30 pounds
deadlift- up 45 pounds
rack pulls from above knee- up 80 pounds

haha, im not going to list EVERY exercise, but these are some of the ones i feel i have made the most progress in. i have been using circuits, multiple pressing days, MANY nueral charge workouts and techniques,etc. And every training session i use 3 scoops each of Anaconda/MAG-10/ Surge workout fuel.

this might be a little silly, but i really am extremely excited at the progress i have been able to make. Just wanted to hear if anyone else is enjoying this as much as i am. all of this happened btw, and i also LOST 2 pounds in the mix!

Thanks to Thibs, T-Nation, and everyone who was involved in the live spills and what not.[/quote]

Dayne,
Thanks for posting your experience, I have a few questions:
How long have you been training and what styles have you trained in?
What were your 3RM weights intially (were the recent 3RM or life time 3RM).

Thanks,
Deat

this is just an example of one type of workout that i did, i do other variations (either to work more on delts, or no isolation work and focus on traps/rhomboids/delts, no max rep circuit, etc.) i mainly go by how i am feeling that day, as no two days for me i ever feel the same. also, i am focusing my workout sometimes to further bring up my delts and tri’s, so not everyone would probably need isolation work added, especially if you do enough heavy general pressing. i just personally have imbalances i am working with.[/quote]

Thanks for the specifics…you mention another thread. Could you provide a link? I’m intrigued. Hope it’s not too much trouble. [/quote]

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/thibs_new_training_questions_3?id=3605318&pageNo=42

if that link doesnt work, its Thibs new training questions #3 thread. page 43, middle of the page. no trouble at all, glad i could help.

dayne and as,

Didn’t realize you weren’t doing the staggered approach yet. It would be tough to do both assitance work and a max rep circuit at the end of the workout. I’ve been doing staggered work with bands and blast straps and love it. It’s a great way to do more work in less time and makes you continually move without exhausting you for your pressing sets.[/quote]

hah yeah thats why im kind of skeptical about adding in the circuit IF i am doing staggered sets. if i choose just to focus on the pushing muscles for the workout, and work the assistance muscles on the next, ill most likely do the circuit. and i totally agree that the training density can be greatly increased with the staggered approach. If anything, the last time i did it, it actually HELPED my sets of pressing during the workout (maybe since i had more of a mind muscle connection with the assistance muscles, i could focus more on them to help aid my pressing lifts. i.e. having my traps tightly contracted during my bench press, etc.)

[quote]as wrote:

dayne and as,

[/quote]

Ok thanks Dayne and Thoughts. Dayne my actual monday performance workout is exactly the same as your example. Wed and fri I do the same movement pattern but change exercises, and I always try to get a max reps circuit at the end of each unless I’m feeling beat up. I get tender in shoulders also from too frequent pressing. Happened to me on I bodybuilder shoulder spec.[/quote]

heh thats cool too hear that others are doing something similar to what ive been doing! its very exciting to see more and more people try out these new methods and hear about the great success everyone is having; it reall is inspiring to me personally when i get to read other followers success and achievements. makes me want to live at the gym :wink:

yeah when i did the IBB shoulder phase, i had alot more pain in my shoulders then than now, and thats because im doing MORE OVERALL WORK now than in the past. i think the circuits and other methods specifically are helping me pull alot of nutrients into the muscle (good thing im using 3 scoops of mag10/anaconda/WF each workout!) which helps aid in my recovery more than IBB did.

[quote]deat wrote:

I was just reading among a couple of the threads and i realized that alot readers (myself included) have been incorporating Thibs new training methods that he used with Darryl for his contest prep (High performance training).

I honestly could not have asked for better guidance and new training ideas, and i have been having great results using all of these new methods (circuits, NC workouts, concentrated spec, eccentricless training, etc.)

I wanted to share my results from the past 7 weeks of incorporating these methods, and i was also curious as to how others are liking these new training ideas as well?

leg press- up 150 pounds
squat- up 40 pounds
deadlift- up 45 pounds

haha, im not going to list EVERY exercise, but these are some of the ones i feel i have made the most progress in. i have been using circuits, multiple pressing days, MANY nueral charge workouts and techniques,etc. And every training session i use 3 scoops each of Anaconda/MAG-10/ Surge workout fuel.

this might be a little silly, but i really am extremely excited at the progress i have been able to make. Just wanted to hear if anyone else is enjoying this as much as i am. all of this happened btw, and i also LOST 2 pounds in the mix!

Thanks to Thibs, T-Nation, and everyone who was involved in the live spills and what not.[/quote]

Dayne,

Thanks,
Deat[/quote]

well im just about to turn 20 (im still VERY young and have alot to learn i know!). I have been very inquisitive and passionate for the past 3-4 years or so after i DRASTICALLY changed my physique (ill post a picture in a while). but ever since i have started training seriously (almost 3 years), i have taken it upon myself to research and delve into the best training and nutritional methods that have suited me personally. when i first started lifting, i trained with a friend that knew alot and LOOKED like he knew alot, so i just did what he said. i would certainly say that within 6-8 months i gained alot of strength seeing as how i had never trained before. after a while though, i realized that the type of training he was advocating (high reps for everything, classic bodypart splits, very high volume) was working better for him than it was me. thats when i decided to take it upon myself to do some more research, and thats when i found and joined T NATION (extremely glad i came across it). i started following CT’s methods and from then till now, i have experienced nothing but positive and great things from my training.

sorry for rambling, i had said i have a problem with that. anyways, to answer your other question, those 3 rep max are increased from the 7 weeks before i started applying the new methods. so when i say my rack pulls increased 80 pounds, its from 7 weeks ago till now, etc. and not an “all time” increase.

this is the before picture, right before i started training and what not.

and this is after alot of hard work! lol .

i know that i dont have any picture of me “posing shirtless” or anything, but i have never really been much for those kinds of pictures which is why i dont have any. still, i think these pictures show an ok idea of atleast some of progress (with overall physique change) i was able to make.

id also like to add that ever since i joined TNATION i decided to switch my major in college to Exercise Science with minor and nutrition. My overall career goal is to get a Masters or PHD in exercise and nutritional Biochemistry.

[quote]deat wrote:

leg press- up 150 pounds
squat- up 40 pounds
deadlift- up 45 pounds

Dayne,

Thanks,
Deat[/quote]

well im just about to turn 20 (im still VERY young and have alot to learn i know!). I have been very inquisitive and passionate for the past 3-4 years or so after i DRASTICALLY changed my physique (ill post a picture in a while). but ever since i have started training seriously (almost 3 years), i have taken it upon myself to research and delve into the best training and nutritional methods that have suited me personally. when i first started lifting, i trained with a friend that knew alot and LOOKED like he knew alot, so i just did what he said. i would certainly say that within 6-8 months i gained alot of strength seeing as how i had never trained before. after a while though, i realized that the type of training he was advocating (high reps for everything, classic bodypart splits, very high volume) was working better for him than it was me. thats when i decided to take it upon myself to do some more research, and thats when i found and joined T NATION (extremely glad i came across it). i started following CT’s methods and from then till now, i have experienced nothing but positive and great things from my training.

sorry for rambling, i had said i have a problem with that. anyways, to answer your other question, those 3 rep max are increased from the 7 weeks before i started applying the new methods. so when i say my rack pulls increased 80 pounds, its from 7 weeks ago till now, etc. and not an “all time” increase.[/quote]

Dayne,
Thanks for the info buddy. Keep up the good work. I was just inquiring because those gains are so huge, even for a novice.
-Deat

[quote]deat wrote:

[quote]deat wrote:

leg press- up 150 pounds
squat- up 40 pounds
deadlift- up 45 pounds

Dayne,

Thanks,
Deat[/quote]

sorry for rambling, i had said i have a problem with that. anyways, to answer your other question, those 3 rep max are increased from the 7 weeks before i started applying the new methods. so when i say my rack pulls increased 80 pounds, its from 7 weeks ago till now, etc. and not an “all time” increase.[/quote]

Dayne,
Thanks for the info buddy. Keep up the good work. I was just inquiring because those gains are so huge, even for a novice.
-Deat
[/quote]

thanks alot man! i have been very happy with the gains i have been able to make. im just glad ive been able to get advice from Coach and everyone here on the site by sharing their experience. even though i can still be considered a “novice”, i am glad that i learned this early on about how to get maximum performance each time i train. for example, i would much rather be teaching my body now to be explosive than later on after i have already been lifting for many many years. but thats just one perk of many that i have been able to pick up.