New MAC Ad Features Jelena Abbou

I thought some of you might enjoy this. MAC cosmetics features Jelena Abbou in their new ad campaign.

It’s getting quite a bit of buzz right now. Here’s an article with comments from Jezebel. http://jezebel.com/jelena-abbou/

Based on opinions of non lifting friends, they’d probably say she’s hot but her arm musculature is a turn off

Also thread title is misleading :stuck_out_tongue:

How is the thread title misleading?

It almost looks like her right arm (left side of pic) was Photoshopped to look slightly larger. Also I’m a bit out of date so I could be wrong, but is she technically a bodybuilder?

I suppose some of the more absolute category types would call her a fitness/figure model/competitor (INBF, WNBF), but that kind of implies that if you don’t compete on a certain level, then you aren’t a bodybuilder.

Do. Want.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
It almost looks like her right arm (left side of pic) was Photoshopped to look slightly larger. Also I’m a bit out of date so I could be wrong, but is she technically a bodybuilder?[/quote]

She competed at the Olympia in 2011 and 2012. I believe she’s been featured in some of the training videos on this site with Christian Thibaudeau.

I’m not a photo editing expert, but they certainly took off every freckle and any vascularity.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
I believe she’s been featured in some of the training videos on this site with Christian Thibaudeau.[/quote]
Yep.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Based on opinions of non lifting friends, they’d probably say she’s hot but her arm musculature is a turn off[/quote]
When I posted this on Facebook the other week, the only comments were about the “garbage bag” dress they put her in. I think she definitely has a “relatable” physique for women to look at/shoot for. And certainly a step up from the average model.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Based on opinions of non lifting friends, they’d probably say she’s hot but her arm musculature is a turn off

Also thread title is misleading :p[/quote]

Not sure how the thread title is misleading, Raj. Let me know.

I’m sure you are right. Many people, both men and women, would find the muscularity too much. My 17-year-old son wrinkled his nose in a “yuck” face at her arms. I asked a guy at my gym who lifts what he thought, and he also said he thinks it’s “a bit much” on a woman.

As for the more muscular aesthetic, we all know she doesn’t look like that when she’s not pumped up and posing. People who don’t lift, don’t always realize that. Her relaxed pictures look much more traditionally feminine.

It’s not the conventional beauty ideal, but I’m a bit surprised at all the controversy over something that looks healthier than the heroin-chic waifish look we see so much of.

I thought the same thing when print ads have featured women who aren’t so young anymore. Nice to see the image of what is beautiful broadened a bit.

I think she’s cute as hell, and as puff mentions above, her body of work shows her as being very balanced in terms of femininity.

She’s also interesting because people like her demonstrate that maintaining a high level of physical fitness keeps people attractive well beyond the usual expiration date that’s continuously implied or even directly stated in the fashion world (where models tend to be in their teens to early 20’s, with a few notable exceptions).

Besides, people are such sheep that all it would take is for a few companies like MAC to feature women like this, and within 2 years, most people will act like that’s always been the standard for beauty.

She looks awesome

I was expecting an apple computer ad by the thread title.

The misleading part was just a joke.

She is the epitome of what I like to call “muscular elegance.”

She sports a muscular yet still feminine physique, very easy on the eyes, and as cute as can be.

What’s even more impressive, is that we all know how hard she must work to achieve what she has built.

Comparing her in the video to that picture…

WHat the fuck did they do to her in that picture? Oh yeah thats right, buffed it up a bit and made her look like something out of a plastic surgeons booklet.

Rather take the raw look of her than the shiny, fake picture.

Looks better in training vids, but definitely would in either case.

Arms to big?

Pussies.

so hot in that video/google image searches, not so much in that advertisement; good for her getting paid and the exposure tho

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

AHHH! I’m sitting here on my iMac and that went right over my head! :slight_smile: Sense of humor fail. Sorry, Raj.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

AHHH! I’m sitting here on my iMac and that went right over my head! :slight_smile: Sense of humor fail. Sorry, Raj. [/quote]

Being both male and a computer guy I’m a little worried that I wasn’t expecting an apple ad.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
I believe she’s been featured in some of the training videos on this site with Christian Thibaudeau.[/quote]
Yep.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Based on opinions of non lifting friends, they’d probably say she’s hot but her arm musculature is a turn off[/quote]
When I posted this on Facebook the other week, the only comments were about the “garbage bag” dress they put her in. I think she definitely has a “relatable” physique for women to look at/shoot for. And certainly a step up from the average model.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting, Chris. I agree about her physique as seen in the training vid and other more relaxed pictures as being “relatable” and something a lot of women would aspire to. To my eyes, she’s very pretty and feminine, with a healthy and athletic build.

Of note, for people who think she looks HUGE in the MAC photo. She lists her height and weight as 5’6" and 118 lbs. I’d assume that’s her competition weight. If the rule of thumb for women is 100 lbs for the first 5 feet, and 5 pounds for every inch taller, then she’s actually underweight/ or has a fine bone structure.

Wasn’t it TheBodyGuard who used to go off about women getting too muscular and ruining their femininity? I know he used to wax on about how he liked “feminine” women.

Like others have mentioned, this is a great step in the right direction for the beauty/media industry. To me, this is the definition of beauty. We all know the hard work and dedication it takes vs. today’s models that just starve themselves to beauty.

Just as long as we keep the plus sized models out of the question. Fat chicks don’t need more justification for being fat.