New, Looking For Advice

Been lurking for quite some time, but decided to post.

I started hitting the weights about 3 months ago, and have noticed quite a few changes in my body so far, but I’m not sure if I’m doing things right or not. Am I over-working? Should I add more? Should I do something different?

At the moment, I’m eating like I should about half the time. There just isn’t enough time in the day right now (getting married in a few days) to eat like I want to.

I’m pretty new to all of this, but I have a routine and take Whey and Creatine as supplements. I’m still confused on the whole supplement thing. I’d like to start taking pre-workout supplements, but am unsure as to what to take. I’ve read so many articles and still have no clue.

I’m looking for a little advice on my current routine to see if I need to change it up and what not.

A little about me:

I’m 24, 5’11" and am about 185lbs. About 6 years ago, I was a measly 110 skin and bones. Now, I’m trying to build muscle, and and lose some fat. At the moment, most of it resides around my waist and some on my legs. I feel that my arms and legs are still really wimpy, but I’m working on that.

Here’s my routine:

Monday: Chest/Tri’s/Abs
Seated Press - 3x10-15 (2 Drop sets)
Incline Press - 3x10-15 (1 Drop set)
Pec Flys - 3x10-15
Seated Dip - 3x10
Tricep Push-Down - 3x10-15
Decline - 3x10-15

• Various ab exercises

Tuesday: Back/Bi’s/Shoulders
Preacher Curls - 3x15 (Drop Set)
Bicep Curls - 3x15 (Drop Set/ Occasional 21’s)
Rear Lateral Raise - 3x10-15
Lateral Raise - 3x10-15
Shoulder Press - 3x10
Seated Row - 3x10-15 (Drop sets)
Overhead Row - 3x10-15 (Drop Set)
Pulldowns - 3x10-15

Wednesday: Legs/Abs
Squats - 3x10
Seated Leg Press - 3x10-15 (Drop Set)
Hip Adductor - 3x10
Hip Abductor - 3x10
Calf Raises - 3x30 - Failure

• Various ab exercises

Thursday: Chest/Tri’s
Repeat Monday

Friday: Back/Bi’s/Abs
Repeat Tuesday

Saturday:Legs
Repeat Wednesday

Thanks guys!

[quote]airios wrote:
Been lurking for quite some time, but decided to post.

I started hitting the weights about 3 months ago, and have noticed quite a few changes in my body so far, but I’m not sure if I’m doing things right or not. Am I over-working? Should I add more? Should I do something different?[/quote]

After 3 months you shouldn’t be asking if you are over-working.

Congratulations. Work on the other half.

What “Pre-Workout” supplements have you been researching? Are you sure you didn’t mean Post-workout?

[quote]I’m looking for a little advice on my current routine to see if I need to change it up and what not.

A little about me:

I’m 24, 5’11" and am about 185lbs. About 6 years ago, I was a measly 110 skin and bones. Now, I’m trying to build muscle, and and lose some fat. At the moment, most of it resides around my waist and some on my legs. I feel that my arms and legs are still really wimpy, but I’m working on that.[/quote]

How the hell did you gain 75lbs without knowing what you are doing? Was it all fat?

[quote]Here’s my routine:

Monday: Chest/Tri’s/Abs
Seated Press - 3x10-15 (2 Drop sets)
Incline Press - 3x10-15 (1 Drop set)
Pec Flys - 3x10-15
Seated Dip - 3x10
Tricep Push-Down - 3x10-15
Decline - 3x10-15

• Various ab exercises

Tuesday: Back/Bi’s/Shoulders
Preacher Curls - 3x15 (Drop Set)
Bicep Curls - 3x15 (Drop Set/ Occasional 21’s)
Rear Lateral Raise - 3x10-15
Lateral Raise - 3x10-15
Shoulder Press - 3x10
Seated Row - 3x10-15 (Drop sets)
Overhead Row - 3x10-15 (Drop Set)
Pulldowns - 3x10-15

Wednesday: Legs/Abs
Squats - 3x10
Seated Leg Press - 3x10-15 (Drop Set)
Hip Adductor - 3x10
Hip Abductor - 3x10
Calf Raises - 3x30 - Failure

• Various ab exercises

Thursday: Chest/Tri’s
Repeat Monday

Friday: Back/Bi’s/Abs
Repeat Tuesday

Saturday:Legs
Repeat Wednesday

Thanks guys![/quote]

Not a bad split. I would try and incorporate more compound lifts. It also looks like you are using a lot of machines, based on your exercise selection. Have you ventured much into the free weight area?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

What “Pre-Workout” supplements have you been researching? Are you sure you didn’t mean Post-workout?[/quote]

I’ve been taking whey/creatine as my post, when I am not on my saturation phase.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
How the hell did you gain 75lbs without knowing what you are doing? Was it all fat?[/quote]

Hah! This was over the last 6 years, and believe me, I did notice. I’ve just now decided to do something about it. :smiley:

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Not a bad split. I would try and incorporate more compound lifts. It also looks like you are using a lot of machines, based on your exercise selection. Have you ventured much into the free weight area?[/quote]

The free weight area scares me, to be honest. Well, I wouldn’t say scare, but I would say that it’s intimidating. As I see people there that I hope to look like one day. Plus, I’m still learning the proper exercises as I go, as I’m not working with a trainer or anything. Is an all machine routine bad?

[quote]airios wrote:
I’ve been taking whey/creatine as my post, when I am not on my saturation phase.[/quote]

You want to spike your insulin post workout and whey/creatine alone isn’t going to do that. The idea is to get some fast absorbing simple sugars and fast absorbing protein (like hydro whey).

Take a look at the Surge product thread. If you don’t want to buy that, something like chocolate milk would work great. Some guys even have their own concoctions that seem to work well.

The free weight area should scare you. If you want to look like the big boys you need to train like the big boys.

As for learning the proper exercises, unless you perform them properly you aren’t going to learn anything. Machines limit your ROM, thereby not teaching proper technique. You don’t have to have a trainer to learn the exercises. Watch the other guys and learn from them, or do some research and watch videos on how to do each one.

An all machine workout isn’t bad really, it’s better than not working out at least. Most guys started there, for sure. You don’t need to give it up cold turkey (or at all if you really don’t want to, it’s all your choice).

However if you want to start migrating over, work on learning some simple dumbbell exercises and then work your way up. Don’t expect to go straight into olympic lifting. Keep your weights low as you work on proper form and control. Also keep in mind the weights you lift on a machine are not what you’ll be able to lift with free weights, so start small.

Really the only supplement you “need” is food.

I’m not sure if price and such is a concern but you may want to give Metabolic Drive a try as well as surge. I’m not trying to be a Biotest homer but as far as getting the best quality for your money I think these are it.

I prefer to take a half serving of Surge pre workout and a full serving with some creatine after. ZMA is also a great supplement.

This is awesome stuff, I really appreciate it. Thanks!