New Knee Problem

Hi,

A couple of months have passed since I have started full body training. As well as that, I have gone down to 3 reps /set (at an appropriate weight) whereas in the past my lowest was usually 5 reps/set. My knee is starting to hurt (not whilst exercising, but whilst sitting down at my computer desk for instance.)

Any advice?

Thank you,

-Cloth

EDIT : A little ambiguity with the rep stuff. I am not ONLY doing 3 reps, and was not ONLY doing 5 reps in the past. My set/rep parametres change. The 3 rep/set is my lower limit.

[quote]Cloth wrote:
Hi,

A couple of months have passed since I have started full body training. As well as that, I have gone down to 3 reps /set (at an appropriate weight) whereas in the past my lowest was usually 5 reps/set. My knee is starting to hurt (not whilst exercising, but whilst sitting down at my computer desk for instance.)

Any advice?

Thank you,

-Cloth

EDIT : A little ambiguity with the rep stuff. I am not ONLY doing 3 reps, and was not ONLY doing 5 reps in the past. My set/rep parametres change. The 3 rep/set is my lower limit.[/quote]

are all your days 3 rep and heavy?? if so bingo there is the problem bro. Get some variety in there.

Hows the diet as well fish oils, calcium, glucosamine chondrotin??

Proper rest and recovery??
doing a lot of pounding cardio as well jogging running etc??

Phill

I am by no means a doctor, but I have had a lot of small/nagging injuries, and the knees were up at the top of the list.

Specifically, the tendons on the inside of the knee. Always hurt and felt almost ‘stretched out’, if that makes sense.

The best thing for them for me was to start doing heavy box squats (3 to 5 reps) with a wide stance. The pause on the box and explosion through the hams/hips/glutes has seemed to make a huge amount of difference in a very short time for me.

Stretching and loosening up the legs/hips would help as well I’d think, if it’s not a serious injury to begin with.

Kubo

[quote]Phill wrote:

are all your days 3 rep and heavy?? if so bingo there is the problem bro. Get some variety in there.

Hows the diet as well fish oils, calcium, glucosamine chondrotin??

Proper rest and recovery??
doing a lot of pounding cardio as well jogging running etc??

Phill

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Phill,

All 3 of my days are not heavy. For example, my last 3 workouts have been 8x3, 2x12, and 4x6. I am taking fish oils and drink enough milk / day for calcium to not be an issue, however I’ll look into glucosamine. I will also tone down the cardio and see if that helps.

Thanks again,

-Cloth

[quote]MikeKubo wrote:
I am by no means a doctor, but I have had a lot of small/nagging injuries, and the knees were up at the top of the list.

Specifically, the tendons on the inside of the knee. Always hurt and felt almost ‘stretched out’, if that makes sense.

The best thing for them for me was to start doing heavy box squats (3 to 5 reps) with a wide stance. The pause on the box and explosion through the hams/hips/glutes has seemed to make a huge amount of difference in a very short time for me.

Stretching and loosening up the legs/hips would help as well I’d think, if it’s not a serious injury to begin with.

Kubo[/quote]

Thanks Kubo, I’ll definitely keep that in mind for the future.

-Cloth

[quote]Cloth wrote:
My knee is starting to hurt (not whilst exercising, but whilst sitting down at my computer desk for instance.)
[/quote]

I am not a doctor, and without seeing you in person, no one can give you a 100% accurate diagnosis…With that said…

Where is the pain? Can you put a finger on one spot (or a couple of spots) or is it more generalized?

Is it in both knees or just one?

Does it hurt only on days that you have exercised or even on your off days?

What sort of activities make it better/worse?

Is there any popping/clicking and if so, is it associated with pain?

[quote]Modi wrote:
Cloth wrote:
My knee is starting to hurt (not whilst exercising, but whilst sitting down at my computer desk for instance.)

I am not a doctor, and without seeing you in person, no one can give you a 100% accurate diagnosis…With that said…

Where is the pain? Can you put a finger on one spot (or a couple of spots) or is it more generalized?

Is it in both knees or just one?

Does it hurt only on days that you have exercised or even on your off days?

What sort of activities make it better/worse?

Is there any popping/clicking and if so, is it associated with pain?[/quote]

I’ll preface my answer with this : I think it might have been the Bulg. Split Squats that I have been doing, as I noticed my knee was going far over my toes. However I’m still curious to see your advice so here are my answers to your questions -

The pain is primarily in my left knee. The pain is localised on the left hand side of the upper kneecap (not the kneecap itself, but the area to the left.)

It hurts on the day after, but only when I am sitting down and stationary. I experienced the same pain in highschool during volleyball season.

Any activity makes it better, it only hurts when I am stationary. Let me stress though that it does not ALWAYS hurt when I am stationary. I have to be sitting for quite a while, and my legs have to be quite cramped (ie. not stretched out) for that time.

My knees have always clicked in the mornings, as have my ankles. This has never been associated with any pain for me.

As a follow-up question, I have flat feet. What sort of footwear do you think I should wear when doing squats? If you don’t know, please say so and I’ll just ask a podiatrist or a physio.

Thanks alot for your help Modi,

-Cloth

[quote]Cloth wrote:
Modi wrote:

I’ll preface my answer with this : I think it might have been the Bulg. Split Squats that I have been doing, as I noticed my knee was going far over my toes. However I’m still curious to see your advice so here are my answers to your questions -

The pain is primarily in my left knee. The pain is localised on the left hand side of the upper kneecap (not the kneecap itself, but the area to the left.)

It hurts on the day after, but only when I am sitting down and stationary. I experienced the same pain in highschool during volleyball season.

Any activity makes it better, it only hurts when I am stationary. Let me stress though that it does not ALWAYS hurt when I am stationary. I have to be sitting for quite a while, and my legs have to be quite cramped (ie. not stretched out) for that time.

My knees have always clicked in the mornings, as have my ankles. This has never been associated with any pain for me.

As a follow-up question, I have flat feet. What sort of footwear do you think I should wear when doing squats? If you don’t know, please say so and I’ll just ask a podiatrist or a physio.

Thanks alot for your help Modi,

-Cloth
[/quote]

First and foremost, if the injury seems to be getting worse, or if you develop more severe symptoms, you should get it checked out. Without any more than a description over the internet, at best you are going to get a bunch of semi-uninformed opinions. So here is mine.

Here is my first impression. If the pain is above and to the left of the knee cap, it doesn’t bother you while you are exercising, only the day after, and only when you have had the knee flexed for an extended period of time, and the pain goes away after you get up and move, then it is quite likely that you are developing a bursitis or a tendinitis. If you don’t have any pain on or under the patella, you can probably rule out patella femoral syndrome, chondromalacia, etc. You can also rule out ligament damage since pain would be on the inside or outside of the knee joint at the patella line, or you would have pain deep inside the knee. You can also probably rule out cartilidge (meniscal) damage if you don’t have any pain associated with the clicking in your knee, or if it doesn’t lock on you.

Bursitis/tendinitis injuries respond well to anti-inflammatories, cold treatments, improved flexibility, and not aggravating the injury while it is in the process of healing.

You may indeed have injured it doing bulgarian split squats, but my guess is that it was on the trailing leg in the down position rather than the lead leg which was going over the toe. Biomechanically speaking, if you were to hurt your knee when the knee traveled in front of the toes, you would be most prone to a patella tendinitis which would hurt directly below the knee cap. Conversely, if you put too much of a stretch on the trail leg while in the down position, you would be more prone to a quad tendonitis which is above and to both sides of the patella. You may also have done it on another exercise entirely. Regardless, both injuries would be treated about the same.

As far as shoes go…The best shoes for squats/deadlifting/etc are probably the powerlifting shoes like Otomix, or something like that. They are designed with a low sole which provides a lot of support for the foot as well as the ankle. I personally don’t wear any special shoes for lifting, but many people do, and swear by them.

Hope this longwinded response helps.

Thank you Modi,

This site needs more people like you.

-Cloth