New IPF Rule

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Are you in contention for a spot at the World Championships?

I don’t think the BAWLA would know about your extracurricular activities. Is the IPF going to follow such a ‘high profile’ lifter as yourself?

The IPF and it’s branches are organizations where you can run for office and influence policy. They are not like other organizations who are ‘ruled’ by one person.

Instead of griping about rules, join the federation and vote for individuals who will vote like yourself.

I don’t agree with everything the USAPL does or how things are run, but it is the best organization in my opinion.

Fahd, have you even competed?

I don’t agree with your line of reasoning. And you strike me as someone who whines about problems that don’t pertain to you instead of doing something about them.

beef[/quote]

very amusing stuff… keep 'em comin… I’m sure that is a very objective post devoid of any emotions.

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
I agree there are federations out there that pander to people that want a ‘world champion’ certificate/medal.

But the rule will not convince more people to join the IPF and its affiliates. The IPF should strive to improve on what it has:

1.) strict judging
2.) drug testing
3.) the most member nations

The approach should not be one of banning lifters for competing elsewhere and potentially alienating too many people. The approach should be to attract people.

beef[/quote]

I completely agree with this. Especially now. Perception is huge, and here are the perceptions the major organizations are fighting right now:

WPO: Out of control gear and judging that gets worse by the meet.

IPF: Drug test beaters and rules that are out to get the lifter.

With the perception of the WPO worsening, it seems like the IPF should play on that and start trying to get more lifters to switch over. The lifters that aren’t members of their IPF affiliate are only going to be put off more by this, not encouraged to come to “legitimacy”.

Not to mention the fact that some of this competition is beneficial for the IPF. Consider the Mountaineer Cup. IPF lifters that go to lift there get exposed to a wider range of competition, and this is only going to make them better.

I think it is ridiculous for the IPF to dictate what the lifters can and can’t do. It is because of this dictator like mentality that the USAPL can’t keep lifters. Oh, well good for us in the APF/WPC who appreciate the likes of Jeff Lewis and Liz Willett.
P.S. What is all this talk about the IPF being the only “world recognized” sanction? Tell that to the 300 plus lifters who participated in the WPC world’s in Helsinki this past fall. I see nothing but posts of appreciation on this forum about Magnusson’s 970 dl and Lewis’ 1200 squat, it is about time that people realize they were done during wpc/ wpo sanctions not IPF. I feel that the IPF lost its “holy grail” status when theyn decided to screw Coan back in the 90s. I say screw them!

Pete Arroyo

[quote]fahd wrote:
beefcakemdphd wrote:

I am not sure what the motivation is for this rule.

Beef

I think its to kill off other federations that the IPF view as illegitamate. Just another rule to divide the sport further.

[/quote]

I doubt that killing off other feds is the goal. in reality how many people in the US actually aim to compete in the IPF and with access to the APF/AAPF etc why woulld a lifter stick with the USAPL if they were only allowed to compete with them? (i know there are other events that will be acceptable to the IPF, but the bulk ofthe approved meets will be with USAPL) the main people to be impacted by this seemingly spiteful rule change are guys like brad and brian that are legitimate contenders for IPF titles.

is that the IPF is the only officially recognized worldwide Powerlifting federation …

officially recognized by who? definitely not the IOC. They have next to no interest in powerlifting.

[quote]kroc30 wrote:
Sounds like they’re trying to keep their athletes from competing in the WPO. Didn’t they already ban Liz Willet???[/quote]

No, she is not banned and lifted at the World Games. Last time I spoke with her she is planning on lifting at Womens Nationals in February.

[quote]AZ CSCS wrote:
is that the IPF is the only officially recognized worldwide Powerlifting federation …

officially recognized by who? definitely not the IOC. They have next to no interest in powerlifting.[/quote]

No completely true. The IOC runs the World Games. Powerlifting is a sport in the Games and the lifters are nominated by the IPF.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
This is where they are ridiculous and very hypocritical.

I know of a high ranking usapl official who has contacted at least one wpo lifter to sign on. He was told we’ll show you how to get around the drug testing.

My 3rd rule of life is everyone is full of shit, including the ipf.[/quote]

Really - I would be interested in knowing a name… I train with a very high ranking official in the USAPL and doubt very seriously that this happened. But you never know.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:

Really - I would be interested in knowing a name… I train with a very high ranking official in the USAPL and doubt very seriously that this happened. But you never know.[/quote]

It would betray a confidence to say this, and I don’t want to cause that person any trouble. Tom and I probably already have done enough damage by mentioning this.

I wouldn’t blame you at all for not believing us, but I know what I heard. Doesn’t mean I won’t compete there, but I won’t be blind to some things that go on. I don’t even blame them for doing stuff like this. It was at the USAPL level, though, so these guys still have to deal with IPF testing no matter what happens in this country. And it’s not like our competition isn’t doing more. Some of the Europeans are actually quite open about it.

[quote]RickJames wrote:
firebug9 wrote:

Really - I would be interested in knowing a name… I train with a very high ranking official in the USAPL and doubt very seriously that this happened. But you never know.

It would betray a confidence to say this, and I don’t want to cause that person any trouble. Tom and I probably already have done enough damage by mentioning this.

I wouldn’t blame you at all for not believing us, but I know what I heard. Doesn’t mean I won’t compete there, but I won’t be blind to some things that go on. I don’t even blame them for doing stuff like this. It was at the USAPL level, though, so these guys still have to deal with IPF testing no matter what happens in this country. And it’s not like our competition isn’t doing more. Some of the Europeans are actually quite open about it.

[/quote]

Trust me most of us in the USAPL are not as blind as you think - but I still think the organization as a whole does a good job of policing its lifters. I lift with the USAPL at many levels, including international. And I know that the other countries are juicing as you are right many of them are very open about it.

I still think they will be caught sooner or later - I just hope for sooner. I kinda look at drug testing like locks on your house or car, they are mostly to keep the honest honest - but if someone really wants in no matter how strong the locks they will break in!

I know I am clean - but still worry when I take a new protien powder or supplement even from here. Those positives are few and far between - and I certainly do not want to cheat, make gains legally yes, but cheat no.

No piece of metal is worth that - where as in other countries, their living might be at stake - some have a whole lot more than weight riding on the bar.

malinda

It’s pretty fucking stupid and this is the reason why i don’t lift in USAPL/IPF. I’ll stick with the IPA and APF. Neither organization would make such an idiotic rule.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

I know of a high ranking usapl official who has contacted at least one wpo lifter to sign on. He was told we’ll show you how to get around the drug testing.[/quote]

So your saying that the USAPL president offered a certain lifter cough MAVIS cough TASH cough the ability to join his federation and side step drug testing???

[quote]RickJames wrote:

I completely agree with this. Especially now. Perception is huge, and here are the perceptions the major organizations are fighting right now:

WPO: Out of control gear and judging that gets worse by the meet.

IPF: Drug test beaters and rules that are out to get the lifter.

With the perception of the WPO worsening, it seems like the IPF should play on that and start trying to get more lifters to switch over. The lifters that aren’t members of their IPF affiliate are only going to be put off more by this, not encouraged to come to “legitimacy”.

Not to mention the fact that some of this competition is beneficial for the IPF. Consider the Mountaineer Cup. IPF lifters that go to lift there get exposed to a wider range of competition, and this is only going to make them better.[/quote]

But are those top(awesome I might add) lifters going to give up the freedom of “nosebleeds” that the WPO gives?

I think a lot of the guys that I have spoke with wouldnt mind droping some of the gear, and dont like the lack of credibility from the loose judging, but as they are ready to come back to the middle the IPF goes farther right.

[quote]cycomiko wrote:
tom63 wrote:

I know of a high ranking usapl official who has contacted at least one wpo lifter to sign on. He was told we’ll show you how to get around the drug testing.

So your saying that the USAPL president offered a certain lifter cough MAVIS cough TASH cough the ability to join his federation and side step drug testing???[/quote]

Cough, cough, no, wink, wink, cough, cough

Piss on the holier-than-thou USAPL/IPF! Y’all are more than welcome in the APF/WPC, where all you have to prove is how strong you are–not how you got strong.

If that doesn’t turn you on, try the AAPF, APC, USPF, IPA, NASA, AAU or even WABDL. There really are alternatives to being abused by IPF officials, whose only erotic dreams involve Olympic participation.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
It’s pretty fucking stupid and this is the reason why i don’t lift in USAPL/IPF. I’ll stick with the IPA and APF. Neither organization would make such an idiotic rule.[/quote]

Good post. Both the IPA and APF are for the lifters. Some of you might not agree with the judging or the gear use, but IPA and APF are fun meets to lift in and to go and watch. There is nothing more exciting than watching some super jacked up dude wearing two ply canvas over two ply poly hitting an 1100 lb squat as a first attempt.

My training partner used a real good analogy the other day. “Do you go to the zoo to see the Lemurs? Fuck no, you want to see the rhinos and tigers and shit.” I don’t know if that analogy was actually useful in this situation, but I thought it was pretty damn funny.

Squat just low enough just to get two whites, Joe

Joe - I have to agree with you.
Viking - Great dream - Too bad it’ll never happen!!!