New Hypertrophy Program

Im just putting together a new program aimed at hypertrophy. For some background knowledge iv previously done TBT twice, and Bill Stars 5x5.

Anyway heres the program

Monday - Legs/shoulder

Backsquats - 3x10, 1x5-8
Frontsquats - 3x10
Seated barbell shoulder press - 3x10
Military press - 3x10
Shrugs - 3x12

Tuesday - Chest/triceps

Bench press - 3x10, 1x5-8
Incline bench press - 3x10
Dips - 3x10
Incline barbell tricep extensions - 3x10

Thursday - Back/biceps

Pullups - 3x to failure
Power cleans - 1x10, 2x5-8
Deadlifts - 3x10, 1x5-8
Barbell rows - 3x10
Barbell curls - 3x10
Shrugs - 3x10

Saturday - Full body

Back squats 3x10, 1x5-8
Pullups - 3x to failure
Close grip bench press - 3x10
Handing leg raises - 3x15
Crunches

Yeh so any critisism/input welcome!

Holy shit you’d be in the gym for like 3 hours each session!

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
Holy shit you’d be in the gym for like 3 hours each session![/quote]

erm not really, maybe an hour

I would honestly give a pre written routine a try. On day one, u have…
Backsquats
Frontsquats
Seated barbell shoulder press
Military press

ALL 10x3, I would not do back and front squats for 10 sets of 3 and then do it for military press all in one day, u need to use heavy weight for those lifts and ur honestly gonna be dead by the end of it.
Try a pre written routine, in this case, the Waterbury method.

Or, one coach on here put in food effort and knowledge into an article called “how to make a damn good routine” or somthing along those lines. Which shows you step by step how to design ur own routine. And its FILLED with choices and wiggle room.

[quote]partymonster975 wrote:
I would honestly give a pre written routine a try. On day one, u have…
Backsquats
Frontsquats
Seated barbell shoulder press
Military press

ALL 10x3, I would not do back and front squats for 10 sets of 3 and then do it for military press all in one day, u need to use heavy weight for those lifts and ur honestly gonna be dead by the end of it.
Try a pre written routine, in this case, the Waterbury method.

Or, one coach on here put in food effort and knowledge into an article called “how to make a damn good routine” or somthing along those lines. Which shows you step by step how to design ur own routine. And its FILLED with choices and wiggle room.[/quote]

nonononono by 10x3 i mean 10 reps 3 sets

[quote]PhilD wrote:

nonononono by 10x3 i mean 10 reps 3 sets[/quote]

OOOOO, still, front and back squats in one session might be an overkill in this case.
I STRONGLY suggest you take a look at the article I was talking about.

[quote]partymonster975 wrote:
PhilD wrote:

nonononono by 10x3 i mean 10 reps 3 sets

OOOOO, still, front and back squats in one session might be an overkill in this case.
I STRONGLY suggest you take a look at the article I was talking about.
[/quote]

i did legs and shoulders today and found it alrite

Dude, whatever routine you do, please be more careful when you post the shocking results for us to see.

You don’t do any bicep exercises on back and BICEPS day. Did you just forget to write them or what?

haha mr popular is just a wee bit confused.

you see, you don’t need to train your biceps until you have biceps, because otherwise they’ll just shrink. Honestly benching works them just fine.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:

you see, you don’t need to train your biceps until you have biceps, because otherwise they’ll just shrink. Honestly benching works them just fine.[/quote]

Me is confused

And OP if you want 3 SETS of 10 REPS
Then its (3*10)
Sets come BEFORE Reps :slight_smile:

Add some Barbell Curls at the end (Compound lift)

[quote]mr popular wrote:
You don’t do any bicep exercises on back and BICEPS day. Did you just forget to write them or what?[/quote]

ah yeah just forgot to add in barbell curls, il edit my first post now

[quote]Corkonian wrote:
eeu743 wrote:

you see, you don’t need to train your biceps until you have biceps, because otherwise they’ll just shrink. Honestly benching works them just fine.

Me is confused

And OP if you want 3 SETS of 10 REPS
Then its (3*10)
Sets come BEFORE Reps :)[/quote]

Yeh sorry about the confusion, changed it now

soooooo, anyone got any opinions on my workout?

I’m still trying to get past the idea that curls make your arms shrink, and the bench press causes your biceps to hrow.

anyone think addding decline bench press on chest day would be a good idea?

You’re already doing dips, but it depends on how you’d feel doing them.

I had written a bigger response about my thoughts on your workout but as soon as i hit submit i guess T-Nation decided to assfuck itself so it all got deleted.

here’s the gist of it:
-why so much trap focus?
-i would do another bicep exercise.
-seated and standing military press is redundant, you probably want a lateral raise in there and maybe bump on the sets on one or the other OHP
-i would do the heavier 5-8 first, then do the 3x10 on all the ones you have set up this way.
-i would trash the “fullbody” day and just use that day to start over the cycle as a 3-way split.

mmmmmmmhm.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
You’re already doing dips, but it depends on how you’d feel doing them.

I had written a bigger response about my thoughts on your workout but as soon as i hit submit i guess T-Nation decided to assfuck itself so it all got deleted.

here’s the gist of it:
-why so much trap focus?
-i would do another bicep exercise.
-seated and standing military press is redundant, you probably want a lateral raise in there and maybe bump on the sets on one or the other OHP
-i would do the heavier 5-8 first, then do the 3x10 on all the ones you have set up this way.
-i would trash the “fullbody” day and just use that day to start over the cycle as a 3-way split.

mmmmmmmhm.[/quote]

-Im only doing a total of 6 sets of shrugs a week along with 3 sets of powercleans. I dont think thats too much trap work, and big traps look awesome anyway!

-All i have to train with at the moment is a power rack + olympic bar so what other bicep exercise would be good? Iv tried doing barbell preacher curls but i cant set my bench at a good enough angle (you can only set it in 4 positions).

-like i said i only have an olympic bar so im limited in shouler exercises

-why?

-I was thinking this when putting the program together but decided i wanted to put some additional exercises in (like lunges) but would be unable to do them with any decent amount of weight on leg day after the squats.

Anyway, thanks for the input dude

just for variation i would do the lunges instead of one of your squat lifts, i mean doing front and back squats isnt that much different of a movement, you may as well do 1 or the other for 6 sets. and as others said, add more bi’sif all you have is and O bar, use just the bar and do one handed curls, or hang onto plate to get some single arm movements in… at the very least i would use totally new lifts on your TBT day, no squats, pullups, PB, MIX IT UP!