T Nation

New Here...

Hi, I’m new here and I still class myself as a beginner…

I’m:

*6ft 2
*190 lbs
*16-18% bf - A bit high, but I think this is mainly due to the lack of muscle.

My One Reps…

*Bench - 80 kg
*Squat - 100 kg (ATG)
*Deadlift - 120 kg

I’m still weak but I have managed to bulk up from 140 lbs at 12% bf over the last couple of years by training on and off.

I know it’s a long way away but my goal in about 1 year is to be this bodyweight and to be lean.

I’m currently focusing on a low volume routine in the 1 to 5 rep ranges with my maximal weights. I really need to bring my deadlift and squat numbers up. But my main concern is with nutrition…

I aim for 300g of Protein a day and just eat e.g clean brown rice etc. and anywhere in between 5-8 eggs a day.

And I’m following the 7 principles also. I do 30 mins of incline walking 4 days a week and around 15 mins of slow cardio after workouts.

I’d like to know if I’m on the right track?

There is so much conflicting advice, should I cut carbs to avoid fat gain? Should I up the fats?

First off - Welcome aboard man.

This thread might shed some light on some of your problems.

Ok, it’s suggesting keeping my Protein Very High and cutting the carbs…

“Just as important, you probably need to get fewer than 40 percent of your total daily calories from carbohydrates. In our study, the group getting daily protein shakes also cut their carb intake to about 43.5 percent. If they’d gone lower, research suggests, they would’ve gotten even better results.”

So I can afford to tweak around and increase the protein while keeping the carbs lower?

Currently I’m doing 3 meals of mainly Protein and Carbs.

And my last 2 meals of the day are generally Protein and Fat, with plenty of veggies.

I have a shake as well twice a day consisting of:

30 g of Protein, 2 eggs, pint of full fat milk.

Generally speaking, if you can cut the carbs and still keep your energy levels high, it’s usually a better way to go–it keeps insulin fluctuations to a minimum and can minimize unnecessary fat gains. That being said, if your energy levels drop and you’re unable to train intensely, it doesn’t really help you gain muscle does it? Find the balance. Personally I don’t drop carbs as much as I maybe should, but I find that my energy stays high for intense training better this way.

In general you will want to overshoot the weight you eventually want to be while lean, because you will need to cut enough fat to appear lean. Eg–if I want to be lean at 220, then I should probably cut from 235-240.

Also, much more important than dropping carbs is that you train well enough to make gains. Cutting extra fat can be done relatively quickly compared with muscle gain.

For your current strength levels I would really not advise doing too much in the 1RM range. In fact, you’d probably be better off going no heavier than your 5RM, and cranking the volume up. Something like HSS-100, which I really like if I were into bodybuilding. going to 5RM will still get you stronger, but it will encourage more muscle growth at your current level of strength.

Here is my current routine…

I increase weight with every oppurunity

Squat- 3 x 5
Pullthroughs - 3 x (8-10)
Leg Curls - 3 x (8-10)
Decline Sit Ups - 3 x 10
Hanging Knee Raises

*Bench - 3 x 5 and then one dropset with a lower weight aiming for 8-10 reps, but concentrating on speed and form
*Dips - 3 x 8 (Staring to add weight now)
*Wide Grip Pull Ups - I aim for 15 reps in as less sets as possible - currently very weak
*Barbell Curls - 3 x 5

*Deadlift - 3 x 5
*Db Rows - 5 x 5
*Shrugs - 3 x 10-12
*Reverse Deltoids - 3 x 10-12