T Nation

New Here, Warm-up and Diet Tips?

Hey, another newbie signing on.
I currently do clean and presses virtually exclusively. My biggest one so far has been 70kg. I generally do a single, then back off to about 70-80 percent of that and start doing sets of as many reps as possible until the time runs out or somebody wants me to do something (last night, I cut a workout short because dad needed help lifting a roof panel into place). These sessions generally last about half an hour.

That’s basically it apart from some callisthenics (Overhand pullups, pushups, situps, tuck sits) and running.
Suggestions as to how to warm up properly before my single would be appreciated, as at the moment warmup is restricted to drinking coffee and listening to punk rock.

Also, food? I’ve been eating like a horse since I started doing the above routine, and I’m never not hungry. I’m thinking possibly a protein shake might be a wise investment.
Thanks for reading.

How long have you been doing these?

A few weeks. I was on starting strength for a while before, and screwed around with crossfit as well.

[quote]Der_Steppenwolfe wrote:
I currently do clean and presses virtually exclusively.[/quote]
Why? Is there a reason you can’t/won’t follow a more complete training routine?

This is really, really vague. Are you just doing this stuff before your lifting, or do you treat them as separate workouts? How much of each are you doing - how many pull-ups/push-ups? How long are you running? How fast (a jog, sprinting, intervals)?

Whatever gets your blood flowing for 5-10 minutes will be plenty as a general warm-up. Could be walking, very simple bodyweight stuff, jump rope, lots of options. A little flexibility and/or mobility work would also be a good call.

If you mean warming up the clean and press for a single, this Tim Henriques article talks about warming up to a true max:

But if it’s something you’ll be hitting regularly (more than once a week), you’re basically talking about your “training max”, or the most you can lift on a given day. Generally, I’d probably do something like an easy 5 for a set or two, a heavier but still easy set of 3 for a set or two, and then gradually add weight and do singles until it gets challenging. Of course, the total number of sets I end up doing will depend on exactly what my goal is. More sets (generally) mean more size, fewer sets lend itself more towards a strength-focus, not size.

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

There are tons of nutrition articles here on the site, depending on your goal.

Cool, Chris Colucci posted. I love your articles. Not trying to brown-nose or anything.

Um, no. But, well, as a matter of fact I read your article on ‘bodybuilding’s biggest exercise’. And while I loved it very much, I thought to myself ‘why make the routine even that complicated?’ I was also motivated by Mark Rippetoe’s impassioned plea for somebody, somewhere to be able to clean and press well.

I do posses a bench. But no squat rack. There are uprights on the back of it that I’ve done squats from, but I’m mildly worried about squatting something I can’t subsequently get off of me. This has happened more than once, and it’s not an experience I want to repeat.

[quote]What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

There are tons of nutrition articles here on the site, depending on your goal.[/quote]
Breakfast: four eggs, packet of oatcakes (the bread had run out)
Lunch: Edit: I can’t actually remember if it was tuna sandwiches, but it was main-meal sized
Tea: Lamb, barley stew with curried fig chutney and beans from the garden
Supper: Chicken Curry

Sorry. I treat them as separate workouts. In the beginning, I did a variation on the PT pyramid, where I’d do one clean and press, one pullup, two pushups and four dynamic stretches, then multiply those numbers by the number of ‘rounds’ of this I had performed.

I abandoned that because it was a bit impractical and difficult to keep track of. I generally get up on non-lifting days that aren’t rest days and run a few miles and do three rounds of pullups, situps and pushups. Then I hold tuck sits. I am unable to explain quite why I do this, other than habit.

[quote]If you mean warming up the clean and press for a single, this Tim Henriques article talks about warming up to a true max:
http://www.T-Nation.com/...or_a_onerep_max
[/quote]
Thanks. Just what I was after.

Cool, Chris Colucci posted. I love your articles. Not trying to brown-nose or anything.

Um, no. But, well, as a matter of fact I read your article on ‘bodybuilding’s biggest exercise’. And while I loved it very much, I thought to myself ‘why make the routine even that complicated?’ [/quote]
Ha, very cool, man. Thanks. But remember I was talking about the dumbbell clean and press. The barbell version is a bit different and isn’t entirely comparable. Close, but not quite. It’s still a solid choice if you could only do one exercise, but I’m still not sure why it is you are doing just one exercise. If that’s your thing, or whatever, fine. Just make sure it’s actually getting you towards your goals.

That feeling of getting trapped under a bar is the worst, but yeah, I wouldn’t use the bench to squat out of. It’s just going to be awkward. You should definitely be able to front squat though.

[quote]Breakfast: four eggs, packet of oatcakes (the bread had run out)
Lunch: Edit: I can’t actually remember if it was tuna sandwiches, but it was main-meal sized
Tea: Lamb, barley stew with curried fig chutney and beans from the garden
Supper: Chicken Curry[/quote]
Good start, just make absolutely sure you’re getting enough total protein. Roughly shooting for 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is a good ballpark to start with.

Fair enough, just understand that those will also factor into your total recovery time. If you’re doing high rep bodyweight work, you could almost consider it more cardio. If you’re sticking with variations that keep you in lower reps (either weighted versions or exercise tweaks), then you’d have a little bit more rounded training routine. Still curiously bare-bones, but better than “just” the clean and press.

When it comes to training, this kind of thinking doesn’t usually help. You should have a reason why you’re doing whatever you’re doing. “Just 'cuz” rarely cuts it.

OK, if I have another go, I’ve got hold of the idea that it would be good to be ‘fit for my size’ before I start increasing that size again.
It’s taken me two years to get to the point where I can consider myself a beginner. If anyone would publish it, I’d write an article called ‘fitness for the recovering addict’.

I have certain hangups when it comes to workouts. I like a workout to have a certain symmetry or aesthetic appeal. This is probably stupid, though. I was attracted to crossfit for a while for that reason, although some of their workouts strike me as obtuse despite their appeal. For instance, who the hell has pullup numbers even remotely the same as their pushups and squats, as in Angie?

BTW, have we spoken before? Were you Bewatermyfriend on MAP by any chance?

BTW, have we spoken before? Were you Bewatermyfriend on MAP by any chance?[/quote]
Ha, yep. That seems like a million years ago though. Who are/were you?

Gotcha. That’s a legit goal. In that case, I’d still make sure you’re getting enough daily protein, and just monitor weekly weight gain, adjusting calories to keep the scale mostly the same.

The absurdity of Crossfit WODs are the source of much grief, facepalming, and humor. No worries.

Skinny guys, rock climbers, and generally people who do a bajillion bodyweight exercises but avoid free weights because they “want to build lean muscles instead of bulky muscles.” :wink:

Knight_Errant. I got kicked out a long time ago though. I was doing bad stuff at the time.

When I can clean and press my bodyweight, I aim to lift such people in order to demonstrate the absurdity of their beliefs.

I was Knight_Errant. I got kicked out a long time ago though.

Knight_Errant. I got kicked out a long time ago though. I was doing bad stuff at the time.[/quote]
Ah, yeah. What’s up, man.

Hope you’re getting your stuff in order and things are good by you. If you’re still doing martial arts, the Combat forum here has a really solid bunch of regulars to get MA training info, talk fights/competitions, or whatever.

Haven’t done martial arts in ages. I’ve found a shotokan class locally, but really, I want to bring karate up from within. Once I have my blackbelt, I will take steps to form a band of brothers known as the Modern Karate Company.

I’m still mildly annoyed that MAP never gave me troll of the year. God dammit, repeat offending has to count for something in this world.