T Nation

New Here. Transformation Pics! Tips?

Hey everyone, what’s up? I’ve been reading these forums for probably 2 years… I’ll give you guys the long story short. Last January, I was at my heaviest, 222 pounds. I did Lean Eating by Precision Nutrition and I’ve lost a significant amount of fat. I’m now 152 pounds. According to the trainer I’ve been seeing for my body-fat testing, I’m 8% body-fat via 7 site calliper.

The program ended in January and I was a winner! I was $1000. Not to bad, right? lol

Well, here I am now… I don’t want to get flamed but I’m expecting it… Yes, I’m small. I’m in this situation where I have stubborn fat in my love handle area, lower abs and chest. The love handle fat still really bothers me… I just feel like I’d have to cut way too much more and end up at 140 pounds… and I don’t want to get that low. I would say ultimately, I’d be happy at 8% body fat at around 175 pounds.

Cut? Bulk? Lean Bulk?

I know as soon as I ask this question, most will rip me a new one but I’m hoping someone has some advice for me. I was heavier my whole life. I don’t ever want to be fat again. I’ve never been on this side of the fence, wanting to gain weight.

Does anyone have any tips on how to gain lean muscle while keeping fat gain to an absolute minimum? I’m willing to put the time in. Training has become a part of my life… I love it… I love the nutrition that goes along with it…

I feel like I should start a lean bulk on a very lean foundation… I understand I’m lean, but like I said, I still have those annoying trouble spots with more fat than the rest of my body. If I lean bulk, what am I going to do about the stubborn fat I have…

I’m basically looking for any good advice or information. I don’t want to **** this up. I NEVER want to be fat again so I’d take a clean, lean bulk very seriously…

Thanks in advance!

p.s. My avatar is a recent pic. I was 162 in my after pic and sitting at 152 now.

Whoops… I meant to post this pic as well.

I think you answered your own question.

Be aware that even if you lean bulk for awhile, you WILL gain some degree of fat, so don’t freak out if you lose your abs and end your bulk prematurely. Then you will make little to no progress overall. You already know what you need to do to lose weight, so don’t worry too much about a little extra fat. Remember that it’s all part of a process.

EDIT: Also, congrats on the weight loss.

[quote]Davy Venom wrote:
Cut? Bulk? Lean Bulk?

I know as soon as I ask this question, most will rip me a new one but I’m hoping someone has some advice for me. I was heavier my whole life. I don’t ever want to be fat again. I’ve never been on this side of the fence, wanting to gain weight.
[/quote]
LOL at cut.

If your happy with your level of leanness why rock the boat? You could try a lean bulk or enjoy the new lean you for awhile, it’s up to you. There is no right answer, just opinions.

Also, judging by your prevalent phobia of fat, if you do try to add muscle do it very slowly and be patient.

Cpuple things–

First, you don’t have extra love handle fat. Especially given your avatar picture! What you have is a lack of overall muscle that makes you appear less lean than you are, with a touch of maybe some loose skin. Add some muscle and you’ll appear to stretch the skin in the roght places.

Second, i would clean bulk. Be slow, methodical and patient–and don’t freak out about the scale if it shoots up sometimes–water weight can make you appear much less lean than you are by obscuring the muscle, and it fluctuates day to day and hour to hour–you always hold more water at the end of the day than beginning.

Tips for nutrition here is take the majority of your carbs and your extra “bulking” calories around breakfast and the workout zone. This assure that they will go to use at the right times, when your body needs them most. I am not sure what kind of diet macros you are on right now, but use your present carbs around both nreakfast and workout times, keeping other timex moderate or low, znd also add your extra growth calories to those meals.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Cpuple things–

First, you don’t have extra love handle fat. Especially given your avatar picture! What you have is a lack of overall muscle that makes you appear less lean than you are, with a touch of maybe some loose skin. Add some muscle and you’ll appear to stretch the skin in the roght places.

Second, i would clean bulk. Be slow, methodical and patient–and don’t freak out about the scale if it shoots up sometimes–water weight can make you appear much less lean than you are by obscuring the muscle, and it fluctuates day to day and hour to hour–you always hold more water at the end of the day than beginning.

Tips for nutrition here is take the majority of your carbs and your extra “bulking” calories around breakfast and the workout zone. This assure that they will go to use at the right times, when your body needs them most. I am not sure what kind of diet macros you are on right now, but use your present carbs around both nreakfast and workout times, keeping other timex moderate or low, znd also add your extra growth calories to those meals.[/quote]

Great advice! I appreciate your take on my oblique area… what you said makes a lot of sense. My plan is to do a slow, controlled clean bulk. I’m actually really looking forward to it. I know gains will be slower but hey… I’m in no rush. I hopefully have many healthy years ahead of me to get the job done!

Thanks a lot.

congrats on the weight loss, now build some muscle

so basically… make me a diet plan NOW

Congratulations on the weight loss.

You’ve definitely got a good base to go forward and build muscle.

I agree with the clean bulk.

Would definitely recommend keeping a food log and evaluating/tweaking fortnightly/monthly.

I may have missed it but have you got a routine planned?

Thanks! I do regularly use myfitness pal to track my macros etc.

Originally, I was planning on going with Starting Strength but have been talking to Josh Hyaduck and I may go with a program he puts together for me.

I really don’t like Starting Strength for you in your situation. More volume needed, and more variety

From what I understand talking to Josh… He wants to put me on a program where I hit each muscle twice a week. Once for strength/power and the other for hypertrophy.

Thanks! I do regularly use myfitness pal to track my macros etc.

Originally, I was planning on going with Starting Strength but have been talking to Josh Hyaduck and I may go with a program he puts together for me.

I agree I don’t particularly think Starting Strength will suit you.

5/3/1 by Wendler with the bodybuilding assistance work is a good starting point.