New Here, Just Finished Smolov

[quote]KeithJones wrote:
1st post.I’m Keith, just wanted to introduce myself.I haven’t competed in a powerlifting meet yet, but would like to in the future.I used to train a bodybuilding type routine, tried WS4SB, high volume similar to Sheiko, and just finished doing a base mesocycle of Smolov.I have been lurking on here for a while and finally decided to join in.
Keith[/quote]

Welcome. What was your max squat before starting smolov? It would have to be down the road a ways, but I’ve considered doing it sometime in the next year or so, once I decide I want a change of pace from westside.

-Nate

[quote]rudilerm wrote:
AlteredState wrote:
Welcome to T-Nation dude.

Could I ask a favour? Could you please change your avatar?

I’m sure you are proud of your bod, and that’s cool, but we don’t need to see it all the time, especially when there’s entirely too much groin area visible.

Exactly. I’m sorry Keith but you honestly have to change your avatar. It makes me feel really uncomfortable and dirty.[/quote]

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
KeithJones wrote:
1st post.I’m Keith, just wanted to introduce myself.I haven’t competed in a powerlifting meet yet, but would like to in the future.I used to train a bodybuilding type routine, tried WS4SB, high volume similar to Sheiko, and just finished doing a base mesocycle of Smolov.I have been lurking on here for a while and finally decided to join in.
Keith

Welcome. What was your max squat before starting smolov? It would have to be down the road a ways, but I’ve considered doing it sometime in the next year or so, once I decide I want a change of pace from westside.

-Nate[/quote]

My max was 385 belt only touch and go on a box below //.I’m confident I would of got 415-425lbs at least.If you are training Westside, volume is a great change of pace.I enjoy training so it was a great excuse to be in the gym a lot.

It was hard to convince myself at first that I could get stronger by training with lower percentages and not training to failure because I had been training Westside.With all the volume you get great at doing the movement, towards the end you feel like you were born to squat.I never got sore after the first week.I highly recommend it.

I agree about becoming mentally tougher! I would tell my self 4sets of 9reps is easy because I ONLY have to do 4sets and the weight is light enough 9reps will be easy.Then I would say 5sets is only one more set than last workout but this time I ONLY gotta do 7reps.I found the 7sets of 5reps to be the hardest workouts to get thru.Then the 10sets of 3reps I would say this is ONLY 3reps so who cares?

I had really bad shoulder pain even though I warmed up before every workout.You just get used to it.I also found it helped to have all my work sets written out before hand.Each time I crossed off a set I felt closer to the finish line.I felt strong while doing Smolov but I was happy it was done.[/quote]

Hi Guys
I did my 4 sets of 9 for the third time yesterday and I haven’t hit the reps on any of the sessions (0 for 3); it’s like 4 sets to failure for me.

I’m 1 for 2 on the 5 sets of 7, and 2 for 2 on 7x5 and 10x3.

Maybe I will look back with fondness but right now I can’t wait for this to end.

Roll on Monday and 10x3 at 445lbs :slight_smile:
Chris

Hi Guys
I did my 4 sets of 9 for the third time yesterday and I haven’t hit the reps on any of the sessions (0 for 3); it’s like 4 sets to failure for me.

Maybe I will look back with fondness but right now I can’t wait for this to end.

Chris[/quote]

You must not be used to doing any amount of rep work.Even though 7 and 9 rep sets are not high reps, if you are only used to doing 5 rep sets and below they would be high reps to you.Did you test your max or estimate it? Even though you have missed some reps I bet your squat has still improved, has it?

You must not be used to doing any amount of rep work.Even though 7 and 9 rep sets are not high reps, if you are only used to doing 5 rep sets and below they would be high reps to you.Did you test your max or estimate it? Even though you have missed some reps I bet your squat has still improved, has it?
[/quote]

Hi Keith,
Guilty! I haven’t done more than 3 reps for years! I’ve pretty much been following a westside template since '03 and I finally got it into my thick old head to try something different.

I’ll be re-testing my 1RM on 8th Sept but I’ll be really pissed off if it hasn’t increased so fingers crossed.

Good luck with your training.
Chris

[quote]Youch wrote:
I agree about becoming mentally tougher! I would tell my self 4sets of 9reps is easy because I ONLY have to do 4sets and the weight is light enough 9reps will be easy.Then I would say 5sets is only one more set than last workout but this time I ONLY gotta do 7reps.I found the 7sets of 5reps to be the hardest workouts to get thru.Then the 10sets of 3reps I would say this is ONLY 3reps so who cares?

I had really bad shoulder pain even though I warmed up before every workout.You just get used to it.I also found it helped to have all my work sets written out before hand.Each time I crossed off a set I felt closer to the finish line.I felt strong while doing Smolov but I was happy it was done.

Hi Guys

Chris[/quote]

Like you miss a few reps during 4x9? You must not have been used to the high reps, a big mistake people who train in the low reps is they try to speed through the high rep days. You have to take it relatively slow or you will burn out really fast. Hopefully program turns out well for your and your stronger, it doesn’t work for everyone.

Missing a few reps is pretty normal with this program, I missed one in base-on a 10x3 day- and 2 or 3-not quite sure- in intense meso-like 2 on a 5x5 day, didn’t eat super well before one of them-. Its a brutal program so your legs just sometimes give out. My training partner was opposite though missed several in base-like 3-5- and one in intense meso.

I am finding pretty fun and interesting to see who is doing Smolov and who wants to. I finally broke down and am 2 workouts from completing Smolov Jr for Front Squats.

My starting max was 120 kg (264 lbs), and I’m hoping for a 130 kg max next weekend. Good luck to all who try!!!