New Harry Potter

I agree with the majority of your post. The Dumbledore avoiding Harry thing is just added drama though, plus I can see Harry complaining like a little bitch like he always does and wanting to talk to Dumbledore even more if he knew.

I also thought it was stupid how he gets caught because of Dobby when he had used magic several times before that.

Quidditch is pretty laughable in terms of how simple it is and everything, but it would still be pretty awesome to watch in real life :wink:

I thought the exact same thing when I was reading probably the 2nd book “Oh, here’s a new spell. I wonder how Hermoine is going to save the day with this one?” lol

All things aside though, it was a good read for me. a lot of people were upset with the ending, but I thought it was pretty good.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

The learning of spells/potions ect was always too convenient and contrived. I litterally got to where I could read what they were doing in class and pick out a spell and say “oh, that is going to conveniently be used in the storyline later” [/quote]

Well, technically, they would have to use those as they are the only ones they know. And In the third book, Harry learned the Patronus because he needed help with the dementors.

[quote]
The actions taken by individuals seemed to lack previous knowledge and ability. People constantly don’t use abilities that would make things much easier. [/quote]

They were kids and teens, and we are pretty stupid.

[quote]
The whole quiddich thing comes off as being invented by someone with very little sports knowlege. The whole concept of the game is pretty laughable. Things like the “wronski Fient” completely broke my immersion into the world and made it feel fake. Seeker and beater positions are laughable.[/quote]

I don’t have much argument here.

The brooms they ride are made specifically for flying.

[quote]
Or the book where dumbledor avoids and tries to distance himself from harry. That part is fine, but there was never any reason dumbledore should have kept harry in the dark about why he was avoiding him. Dumbldore could just as easily sent harry a message saying why he was avoiding him.[/quote]
Spoiler alert
The seventh book explains why this happened. Dumbledore didn’t want Harry following in this footsteps and not being able to control power. Although this is a pretty bad excuse on Dumbledore’s part, it does give his character depth instead of just keeping him as an all powerful wizard that doesn’t have human emotions of tendencies.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Like I said, good stories, but I don’t think they were great works of literature.

[/quote]

Agreed

[quote]ukrainian wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

The learning of spells/potions ect was always too convenient and contrived. I litterally got to where I could read what they were doing in class and pick out a spell and say “oh, that is going to conveniently be used in the storyline later” [/quote]

Well, technically, they would have to use those as they are the only ones they know. And In the third book, Harry learned the Patronus because he needed help with the dementors.

[/quote]
It was way more convenient than that. They always learn exactly the spells they need.

[quote]

Hermione always knew all the spells, she wasn’t supposed to be stupid. And this included the adults and the ministry of magic est.

[quote]

Yes, they are ordinary muggle object charmed to fly. The magic rugs were origianly made specifically for flying too, but they got banned. She never explains how flying carpets got banded for being ordinary object and brooms didn’t. It’s logically flawed.

[quote]

Yes, that is the reason for staying away from him, but it’s not a reason for not telling him about it. There was never an explanation.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Yes, they are ordinary muggle object charmed to fly. The magic rugs were origianly made specifically for flying too, but they got banned. She never explains how flying carpets got banded for being ordinary object and brooms didn’t. It’s logically flawed.

[/quote]

So they have laws that make no sense?

Yeah, that is totally unrealistic.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

So they have laws that make no sense?

Yeah, that is totally unrealistic.

[/quote]

LOL. It’s not the law, it’s the enforcement, but yeah I didn’t think of it that way. But I don’t think she intended her explanation to reflect the ass backwards illogical real world.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Artemisia wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
CS lewis sucks. [/quote]

You my friend, are a moron.[/quote]

x1000![/quote]
-1000 ha!!![/quote]

You should have divided by 1000, not subtracted. He’s still winning.

EDIT - my bad. He multiplied 1 x 1000. Subtraction was sufficient. As you were.[/quote]

She, just to clarify.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Artemisia wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
CS lewis sucks. [/quote]

You my friend, are a moron.[/quote]

x1000![/quote]
-1000 ha!!![/quote]

Lewis was brilliant. Comparing him to J.K. Rowling is ridiculous. Lewis and JKR have entirely different backgrounds and intents, not to mention that the Narnia books were published almost directly post-WWII and HP was published in the 1990s. It is foolish to judge them side-by-side.

JKR is a good storyteller, and I’m glad more children picked up books in the 90s/00s because of the HP craze (I don’t feel the same about Twilight), but the pages of history remember Lewis as an important medieval scholar, academic, writer, and Christian apologist. He was the first to head a CMRS at Cambridge in addition to teaching at Oxford. He wrote more than just the Narnia books, including a sci-fi trilogy and a bunch of apologetic works…and that does not include the academic papers he authored.

I am looking forward to the HP movies.

I’ve read CS Lewis’s Cosmic Trilogy. They’re good books, but not classic sci-fi. I have no interest in the HP books or films though, so I can’t make a comparison.

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:
I’ve read CS Lewis’s Cosmic Trilogy. They’re good books, but not classic sci-fi. I have no interest in the HP books or films though, so I can’t make a comparison.[/quote]

The hell? Those are 3 of my favorite books. What’s wrong with them?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
I don’t try to compare CS Lewis and JK Rowling. Two different authors, two different stories. Both pretty damn terrific. I read the entire HP series in a month during my last deployment. I cannot wait to see the new one. I’ll actually be home to see it!! [/quote]
I agree, in all honesty I just dislike a few books in the Narnia series.[/quote]

LOL @ The Narnia series being a copy and paste of the bible.

Narnia >>>> HP

There are just way toooo many holes in HP for me to even compare the 2.

But go read CS Lewis’ space trilogy or at least some of his non-children stuff. (you have to remember these were written in the 30s and 40s)

Wow some huge plot holes there.
Narnia sucks plain and simple.
It’s sexist and racist
The Christianity is very apparent and poorly placed
You have problems with Dumbledore but non with Aslan
Do you remember Peter and the gang battling grown fucking people and creatures and winning, yet you criticize HP for always having the write spell??? (Even though they don’t)
It’s juvenile and just a clusterfuck of a bunch of mythologies, completely unoriginal.
Some books don’t even make sense as far as the story goes. The Horse and his boy was needed why? The Last Battle which drags on and on and on until its shitty climax.
The characters are uninteresting and poorly developed, I couldn’t care less about a single character in any of the books. Maybe the magicians nephew, maybe.

And get this… Aslan was a TALKING LION!? WTF!? Lions don’t talk but if they did he would’ve been all like “gonna eat those dumb kids lolol”

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
I don’t try to compare CS Lewis and JK Rowling. Two different authors, two different stories. Both pretty damn terrific. I read the entire HP series in a month during my last deployment. I cannot wait to see the new one. I’ll actually be home to see it!! [/quote]
I agree, in all honesty I just dislike a few books in the Narnia series.[/quote]

Narnia >>>> HP

But go read CS Lewis’ space trilogy or at least some of his non-children stuff. (you have to remember these were written in the 30s and 40s)

It’s sexist and racist

[/quote]
Really?

Okay, you don’t like Christianity. Got it. What is wrong with it being apparent? and how is it poorly placed?

I’ve explained some of my problems with dumbledore, why exactly should I have problems with Aslan? Some reasons would be nice. Oh right, because he represents jesus. ;0)

Yes, they do. It’s really easy to pick out points in the early parts of the book that are going to conveniently come in handy later. And I never said I had a problem with kids winning.

LOL. yes. narnia is less original that harry potter.

[quote]

Some books don’t even make sense as far as the story goes. The Horse and his boy was needed why? The Last Battle which drags on and on and on until its shitty climax.
The characters are uninteresting and poorly developed, I couldn’t care less about a single character in any of the books. Maybe the magicians nephew, maybe.[/quote]

Well, that’s your opinion mr. butt-hurt HP fanboy, but the literary world disagrees.

Oh, and great counter to the holes I mention in the story.

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:
And get this… Aslan was a TALKING LION!? WTF!? Lions don’t talk but if they did he would’ve been all like “gonna eat those dumb kids lolol”[/quote]

Lol.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

Narnia >>>> HP

It’s sexist and racist

[/quote]
Really?

Okay, you don’t like Christianity. Got it. What is wrong with it being apparent? and how is it poorly placed?

I’ve explained some of my problems with dumbledore, why exactly should I have problems with Aslan? Some reasons would be nice. Oh right, because he represents jesus. ;0)

Yes, they do. It’s really easy to pick out points in the early parts of the book that are going to conveniently come in handy later. And I never said I had a problem with kids winning.

LOL. yes. narnia is less original that harry potter.

[quote]

The characters are uninteresting and poorly developed, I couldn’t care less about a single character in any of the books. Maybe the magicians nephew, maybe.[/quote]

Well, that’s your opinion mr. butt-hurt HP fanboy, but the literary world disagrees.

Oh, and great counter to the holes I mention in the story.[/quote]
I’m not butthurt, don’t gave a problem with Jman, and for the record the entire world disagrees the so called literary world look at the numbers moron.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

I’m not butthurt, don’t gave a problem with Jman, and for the record the entire world disagrees the so called literary world look at the numbers moron.[/quote]

I think this was a sentence, but I’m not sure. What numbers about what exactly?

And you once again failed to respond to any of my points or answer any of the questions.

Books sold
make your points- if they’re the ones on the previous page I feel other posters adequately responded
Oh and Tolkien didn’t like Narnia either

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

I’m not butthurt, don’t gave a problem with Jman, and for the record the entire world disagrees the so called literary world look at the numbers moron.[/quote]

I think this was a sentence, but I’m not sure. What numbers about what exactly?

And you once again failed to respond to any of my points or answer any of the questions.[/quote]

I would just like to point out that the Bible is the bestselling book of all time.

But the Christianity is apparent and poorly placed!!!

Trust you guys to turn this into yet another PWI-style thread :wink:

DD, I’m curious what your favs are in the sci-fi/fantasy/mil genres?

Currently having a bit more time on my hands, so I’m burning through ebooks like crazy…

In the last 1-2 months I went through the complete HP series, LOTR, everything John Ringo ever wrote (not really perfect or anything, but it kept me occupied, and does he have an SM fetish or what?), Markus Heitz’ stuff (German author, and his stuff plus the prelude to dune/house series by the son of F. Herbert are the only book series I can read in German without flinching every 5 minutes at the mediocre translation), everything by Richard Morgan, the sword of truth series, some random stuff I forgot to mention…

Thank god my gal likes to read, too…

CC, I’ve read the entire HP series twice, with some books more than that lol. You recommend LOTR or anything else comparing to HP?

So since this thread seems to be turning into book talk (lol), I’ll recommend Shutter Island. I read it right before the movie came out. Surprisingly, the movie was just as good as the book