New Harry Potter

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
CS lewis sucks. [/quote]

??? was this directed at me?

Because the annals of literature would disagree with you.[/quote]
Narnia was extra boring, he basically copied the bible in The lion the witch etc…, made Jesus a lion. I havn’t read much of his other stuff just the screwtape letters a long time ago but Harry Potter>Narnia.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
The books aren’t bad. She’s a great story teller. Plot/characters/fictional world get thin at times though. I’m a Tolken/CS Lewis nerd and really feel a huge difference in depth. There are just too many times in the HP books where I stopped and reflected on how parts seemed poorly thought out and constructed.

The first few movies were pretty bad (go back and watch them again). The later movies are decent. I’m sure I’ll go see this one. It’s the only one I’ll have read the book first on.[/quote]

I agree. I definitely enjoyed reading the books. I only watched one HP movie so far and didn’t like it (but then again, I’ve rarely enjoyed movies based on books or computer games… Except for LOTR and a few others), but whatever (quite a few of the actor choices and the overall atmosphere/flair etc).

Twilight however is just terrible in both book and movie form. HP may not be up there with the greats of fantasy and sci-fi, but it’s a nice read… Works for an old escapist like me, even though I prefer different stuff usually.
Twilight fails on all levels by comparison. Shit, HP probably got more violence in it too bwahahaha

[/quote]
The books will eventually be up there as one of the greatest series ever.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
CS lewis sucks. [/quote]

??? was this directed at me?

Because the annals of literature would disagree with you.[/quote]
Narnia was extra boring, he basically copied the bible in The lion the witch etc…, made Jesus a lion. I havn’t read much of his other stuff just the screwtape letters a long time ago but Harry Potter>Narnia.[/quote]

gawdfuckingdammit. You admit to reading only one series and another work of his, but feel you have the authority to proclaim that he sucks?

He wrote so much more than the Narnia series. They were not intended to be deep, they were childrens stories and yes, an allegory of the Bible. He didnt try to pass it off as something new.

Read his other stuff before condemning him. I suggest “The Great Divorce,” “The Abolition of Man,” and “The Problem of Pain.”

JK Rowling is not a bad author, but to compare her to CS Lewis who wrote fiction, non fiction, philosophy and apologetic material is retarded.

Still for children’s books Harry Potter>Narnia

After the 2nd movie, they got less interesting. Not even sure if I saw the last one, are there 4 or 5 already out?

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
CS lewis sucks. [/quote]

You my friend, are a moron.

I’m a little late to the party because I watched them with my boys (7,5) this Christmas for the first. Great adventure that looks to have an awesome finish.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
CS lewis sucks. [/quote]

You my friend, are a moron.[/quote]

x1000!

[quote]Artemisia wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
CS lewis sucks. [/quote]

x1000![/quote]
-1000 ha!!!

That picture of Hermoine is bangin. She can cast a spell on me any day. I’d take her for a ride on my broomstick. SHe’d be my prisoner of azkaban. I’d show her the real soccerers stones. I’d give anything to slitherin to her panties. Does anyone else have any?

I’m particularly looking forward to the second part because alot of epic film franchises end greatly. This series has been around much longer than The Lord of the Rings, so I think it will have more of an impact and gross more money overall. This is for our gerneration. My parents had Star wars, (we did too unfortunately) Back to the Future, and Indiana Jones. We have the lord of the rings and harry potter. Hmmmm, I wonder which ones are better.

A friend as work recently tried to rag on me saying I looked like Ron because I have reddish/brown hair . I said fuck it, as long as I get Emma watson I don’t give a shit. everyone agreed.

I’m pumped. I went to the first showing of the last one…not doing that again. I’ll wait a few days lol.

When did Iron Dwarf get forced to censor out the nipples on his tit-burger?

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Artemisia wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
CS lewis sucks. [/quote]

x1000![/quote]
-1000 ha!!![/quote]

You should have divided by 1000, not subtracted. He’s still winning.

EDIT - my bad. He multiplied 1 x 1000. Subtraction was sufficient. As you were.

1x1000 equals 1000 1000-1000 equals 0

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
1x1000 equals 1000 1000-1000 equals 0[/quote]

Hah, you got in there before my edit. I thought it was 2 x 1000 but you’re of course correct. Nobel prize en route.

I don’t try to compare CS Lewis and JK Rowling. Two different authors, two different stories. Both pretty damn terrific. I read the entire HP series in a month during my last deployment. I cannot wait to see the new one. I’ll actually be home to see it!!

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
I don’t try to compare CS Lewis and JK Rowling. Two different authors, two different stories. Both pretty damn terrific. I read the entire HP series in a month during my last deployment. I cannot wait to see the new one. I’ll actually be home to see it!! [/quote]
I agree, in all honesty I just dislike a few books in the Narnia series.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
I don’t try to compare CS Lewis and JK Rowling. Two different authors, two different stories. Both pretty damn terrific. I read the entire HP series in a month during my last deployment. I cannot wait to see the new one. I’ll actually be home to see it!! [/quote]
I agree, in all honesty I just dislike a few books in the Narnia series.[/quote]

LOL @ The Narnia series being a copy and paste of the bible.

Narnia >>>> HP

There are just way toooo many holes in HP for me to even compare the 2.

But go read CS Lewis’ space trilogy or at least some of his non-children stuff. (you have to remember these were written in the 30s and 40s)

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
[/quote]

What are these holes you speak of?

probably a spoiler alert needed

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
[/quote]

What are these holes you speak of?

probably a spoiler alert needed[/quote]

The learning of spells/potions ect was always too convenient and contrived. I litterally got to where I could read what they were doing in class and pick out a spell and say “oh, that is going to conveniently be used in the storyline later”

The actions taken by individuals seemed to lack previous knowledge and ability. People constantly don’t use abilities that would make things much easier.

The whole quiddich thing comes off as being invented by someone with very little sports knowlege. The whole concept of the game is pretty laughable. Things like the “wronski Fient” completely broke my immersion into the world and made it feel fake. Seeker and beater positions are laughable.

There just seemed to be numerous logical errors too. For example, They talk about the statute that bands charming ordinary muggle objects to fly therefor flying rugs are out. Well, what are brooms? logically, they should be banned too.

Or the book where dumbledor avoids and tries to distance himself from harry. That part is fine, but there was never any reason dumbledore should have kept harry in the dark about why he was avoiding him. Dumbldore could just as easily sent harry a message saying why he was avoiding him.

They hole “living at home gives him protection” thing was really contrived and never really made a lot of sense but was needed to force harry to go home each year. Additionally, there was once again no reason harry couldn’t have been informed of that earlier other than to give his character strife.

I was never satisfied with any attempt to explain the ability to detect underage magic, but not adult magic. Additionally she seemed to conflict her explanation having harry’s magic detected outside the house and by not getting in trouble when magic is used in the house on multiple occasions and only the one time the elf does some.

And on and on and on.

Like I said, good stories, but I don’t think they were great works of literature.