New Hampshire Lifter II

Time for the team to kick butt.

Take it easy, hoss. Remember, we are about to turn 47ā€¦lol.

Youā€™re gonna do great. Just save some for the meet.

Sorry to read that your back is complaining again Steveā€¦ hopefully it settles down and you can do the meet pain free ( or mostly pain free)!

The young can be reckless if not watched

Thanks all. Back is feeling 90%. Worked up to around what my deadlift opener will be. Iā€™ll do something similar with bench on Tuesday and that will be it until the meet on Saturday.

4/17

1. semi-sumo 135x3,3 225x3 315x2 405x1 455x1 495x1 515x1
    2a. leg curls 4 sets
    2b. calf raises 4 sets

Youā€™ll be more than ready.

Good luck to both you and your son!

Dang it all. Wrote down this past Saturday as your meet day, came looking for results/vids.

Well, Best of Luckā€¦againā€¦Rock On and Rest Up!

Had a great time at the meet today. My son and I hit most of what we were hoping to. And as a bonus I got to meet Paul (old goat) who is as great a guy in person as he is on this forum. My son and wife really enjoyed meeting Paul too. We got a picture together that Iā€™ll post when its available on the powerlifting site.

Meet rules were at 7 am and lifting started at 8 am. So we were up at 5 and on the road by 6. During squat warm-ups the rack my son was using has a mirror in front of it and he has never watched himself squat. So he was all off kilter and almost fell forward with only 275. So this being his first meet he got really rattled and wanted to get the hell out of there. But I calmed him down and we went to a rack without a mirror and he blew 275 out of the hole like it was 135. So I convinced him it was the mirror so he regained his composure. And during his first bench he blew a command and ended up doing his opening weight twice which I think cost him 20 lbs on his total. Also, his 505 deadlift he was called for hitching. Iā€™ll post that video. He deadlifted 455 like a breeze. So his official totals were squat 405, bench 205, deadlift 455. Unofficially weā€™re counting his 505 deadlift.
I ended up only doing a push/pull because my back still doesnā€™t agree with squats. I lost a little too much weight over the last 2 days because I weighed in at only 269 with my shoes and clothes on. So I wasnā€™t feeling strong at all but I ended up benching 405 and deadlifting 600. I tried benching 415 but just missed it. Next time. 600 was a huge PR for me. Iā€™ve only pulled 555 in my basement once before.

Kainen squatting 405

Kainen benching 205

Kainen hitching 505

Daddy benching 405

600 deadlift

Steveā€¦congratulations to both of you! DL PR is awesome. I knew 600 was in there!
And it almost looked like you dropped the bar, on bench, it went down so fast. The press looked more tired, or out of sync, rather than hitting a strength limit. Great job!

And watching Kainen, his lifts werenā€™t anywhere near his maxes. The squat and bench flew upā€¦especially the squat. I am not sure I know what the hell hitching is, but he didnā€™t need it. There was plenty of power there. If he decides to stick with it, he will go far!

Congrats to both of you and please pass it along! That is just awesomeā€¦

Great job! Loved the videos. 600 DL. Fabulous!

I hope your son had fun at his first meet. He sure did great. Supporting the bar on the thighs can be a tricky call. I watched his video several times. I believe if he learns to bring his hips through harder (hip thrust) once the bar gets moving to aid the lockout it will help diminish the ā€œhitching.ā€

Skip, both Paul and I said it would great if Skip could be here. But you had to live way the hell out west. And Iā€™m glad you knew I had 600 in me because I sure didnā€™t. I think my sonā€™s been bit by the powerlifting bug because heā€™s already talking about the next meet.

KP, we had a great time. Actually my wife had a great time as well. She enjoyed watching everyone lift. A great family day. I may have to find someone who really knows powerlifting to tune up my and my sonā€™s technique.

I know, I knowā€¦
A few months ago I thought I might actually be able to make it. Then my wifeā€™s trip fell through and her migraines kicked in.
I am, at least, closer than I was in OK. I still want to get over there, though.

Congratulations to both you and your son. He did hitch the 505 but didnā€™t need to. Looked like he had more in him as well.

600 is a big number. Nice pull. You hit the 1,000 push pull Iā€™ve been looking for!

Skip, sorry your wife is still suffering. Maybe some day a few of us could congregate at a meet.

Thanks Dave. I was really happy to break 1000. Canā€™t wait for my next meet.