T Nation

New Gym Only Has Light Dumbbells

the new gym i go to only has DB’s that go up to 100lbs, im used to DB’s that go up to 180lbs.

this is concerning DB rows in particular. i usually do DB rows with a 140lbs DB, now im only able to use 100lbs DB. ive been going a lot slower on the negative and powering it through the upward motion.

im curious if this is going to hinder my gains at all.

the new way im doing this i am still able to only get about 8-10 reps (im going very slow, and controlled, with extremely good form)

any of you guys have any thoughts?

Really? Umm no I do not think it will, what all do you need over the 100’s for? I’m sure you can still go heavy on BB rows.

i’ve tried using a barbell in one hand, balancing from the centre (could also hold one end and pull like a lever…)
a BB’s not as convenient, but you can use more weight

ask the gym to buy heavier DBs?

showoff :wink:

If you want, there are sources of Olympic plate-loadable DB’s. For example Iron Mind sells them, though so far as I know only with thick handles, which you may not want (your grip might then become the limiting factor.)

It’s not overly inconvenient carrying empty DB handles into the gym.

Man, you think you got it bad… I just recently moved to a new place for university, the gym i came from back home (i was there for 2 and a half years) only had 80 lbs! The gym im at now has 125 and its pretty freaking awesome, although im going to be wanting more within the next few months. Im using all dumbbells right now to catch up, but there are other ways of getting shit done without them, i have been doing it for a while.

Why dont you try wedging the bar in a corner somewhere (as if to do t-bars) but instead slap a bench next to it and just grab right below where the weight slides on with one arm and do your rows like that, just as if it were a dumbbell. Be sure to only use 25lb plates though so you dont limit your ROM too much. I seen it posted here in an article a while back, i can dig it up for you if you want a better description!

PC

also, i like how you call 100 lb. dumbells ‘light’

Platemates and duct tape. Off you go.

[quote]Plagueis wrote:
also, i like how you call 100 lb. dumbells ‘light’[/quote]

Well, no offense but I wouldn’t really consider it ‘heavy’, either. For some things yes, but for rows? No way.

haha i know, just referring to the difference between this community and the general public

[quote]Plagueis wrote:
haha i know, just referring to the difference between this community and the general public[/quote]

maybe you should change your avatar pic then, ahah. XD

i throw those little pink fluffy weights at the ppl i dont want staring at me during my set.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Platemates and duct tape. Off you go.[/quote]

great idea! instead of the platemates ill just use 25lb plates.

and the barbell wedged against the wall is a fantastic idea also. ill have to switch on and off. thanks for all the responses, very helpfull

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
ask the gym to buy heavier DBs?

showoff ;)[/quote]

yeah, i already asked. they will “think about it.”

its a college gym, they have the resources, they are just being assholes.

I’m surprised they don’t have a set of adjustable handles.

Yea I’m ALOT smaller than you and I use 85-90 pound db’s for rows, I feel bad for you. Is it possible for you to find another new gym?

Try doing your rows non supported. Or holding dumbells in each hand rather than just one and piston like alternating as you raise one lower the other. This should cut down the weight and force more overall body involvement.

[quote]dwall33 wrote:
Yea I’m ALOT smaller than you and I use 85-90 pound db’s for rows, I feel bad for you. Is it possible for you to find another new gym?[/quote]

im at college with no job, i really dont feel like shelling out cash i dont have for another gym membership

[quote]AlexDZ wrote:
Try doing your rows non supported. Or holding dumbells in each hand rather than just one and piston like alternating as you raise one lower the other. This should cut down the weight and force more overall body involvement.[/quote]

im going for mass, not conditioning. yes i would use less weight doing this, but i wouldnt hit the back the same way. not my goal.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
maybe you should change your avatar pic then, ahah. XD

i throw those little pink fluffy weights at the ppl i dont want staring at me during my set.[/quote]

Dumbbell fight!

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
dwall33 wrote:
Yea I’m ALOT smaller than you and I use 85-90 pound db’s for rows, I feel bad for you. Is it possible for you to find another new gym?

im at college with no job, i really dont feel like shelling out cash i dont have for another gym membership[/quote]

Yea makes sense. If I were in your position id switch to BB rows.