T Nation

New Gym Blues Anyone?

In the past year I’ve been to 4 different gyms. When I start going to the new gym, I become weaker. I don’t know what it is. I just go backwards for 2 weeks and have pathetic workouts, then I usually start to PR again. It’s happening again. I’ve joined a new gym for the winter break. It’s the best gym I’ve ever been a member of: Monolift, Thick Bars, Flipping Tiers, Logs, Reverse-Hyper, and the stereo is set to a Sirius Hard-Rock Station. And even though I’m psyched to be there, I’m not as mentally or physically capable of kicking ass as I normally am. I usually get the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press with 85s for more than 12 but today I couldn’t get more than 10 with the 85s on the flat bench. My pull-up record is 25. Today I cranked out 11.

Does anyone else experience this new gym adjustment period?

Yes, I have had exactly the same experience this year with two gyms, and now again since I have just started working out at home, typically I have lost 10-15kg’s on the big lifts (which is not alot but it’s enought to piss you off) and have poor rep strength also.

The trick is not to beat yourself up about it, just go a little lighter than usual and build back up by adding a little weight every week until you are getting back to former levels.

I’ve noticed it too, jumping between my university gym and a commercial one.

I don’t know what causes it - maybe a little spotlight syndrome caused by being the “new guy”, maybe the new scenery and people distract me out of my “usual” mindset, or maybe it’s something in the water.

All I know is that it’s pretty shitty.

That’s funny you should start this topic. My gym just rearanged the equipment and I was completely disoriented. Nothing was where it should have been. Could find some equipment. Had the worst workout in months. It usually take me about 2 weeks to get used to a new routine

Glad to see I’m not psycho. My Awesome yet currently awkward gym sells Spike Shooters. I’ve never tried it before so maybe a can of that will fire me up enough to overcome this adjustment period faster than it normally takes. I’ve only got a month at this gym so I can’t spend half that time adjusting.

I had the same problem today, normally I train at my school, now I’m training at the barn and it took me 4 attempts to hit 52.5kg snatch today! Just nervous, its a new place. I’ll be used to it in a week or so.

I’m at a new gym for the holidays and I had a crappy day at the gym yesterday, it sucks.

I have to figure out how I need to set things up to get things feeling right again.

Feh.

My workouts when I travel to see my coach are never as good as my home gym that I regularly lift at. Go figure.

This is a really interesting thread. My coach and I always like lifting in a different place every so often. It’s hard sometimes, because you’re not used to the surroundings, but it really is good because it helps you to prepare for meets that could be anywhere.

[quote]olylifter106 wrote:
This is a really interesting thread. My coach and I always like lifting in a different place every so often. It’s hard sometimes, because you’re not used to the surroundings, but it really is good because it helps you to prepare for meets that could be anywhere.[/quote]

good point, my team trains all over the place, from LBH, peoples basements, to the barn, to moorestown and we take a team trip to north carolina for a week of training. hope to go this coming year to it =D

Never had this, mind you I’ve trained at the same uni gym for over 30 years (never suffered when they refitted the gym either).

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
In the past year I’ve been to 4 different gyms. When I start going to the new gym, I become weaker. I don’t know what it is. I just go backwards for 2 weeks and have pathetic workouts, then I usually start to PR again. It’s happening again. I’ve joined a new gym for the winter break. It’s the best gym I’ve ever been a member of: Monolift, Thick Bars, Flipping Tiers, Logs, Reverse-Hyper, and the stereo is set to a Sirius Hard-Rock Station. And even though I’m psyched to be there, I’m not as mentally or physically capable of kicking ass as I normally am. I usually get the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press with 85s for more than 12 but today I couldn’t get more than 10 with the 85s on the flat bench. My pull-up record is 25. Today I cranked out 11.

Does anyone else experience this new gym adjustment period? [/quote]

By any chance are most of you fellows younger, say teens and twenties? I’ve noticed the young guys are a little more used to routine as opposed to me. This is comparing 20s to 40s now.

When you get older, you just lift stuff. All the little psychological stuff seems to go away. I don’t need certain music, I don’t need a certain setup, etc. If equipment is different, I just do different stuff.

I will give you different benches, racks, and bars can make a difference. This is understandable and pretty normal. Just like different cleats will work different in different conditions.