T Nation

New Guys with 'Perfect' Squat Technique

So, i was thinking, if you’re a new guy, you got that squat technique done correctly, and you’re about 170lbs, don’t you think lifting about 135lbs is at least a minimum requirement, even if you’re just working out for fitness in general?

I began squatting about 135lbs when i had good enough technique, but some of my “buddies”, and other guys in the gym only lift 110lbs, even though they’re close to 180lbs.
My MMA coach also told us to begin squatting at least 135lbs.

So why do i see people squatting as little as 95lbs? Scared of getting “huge”, or scared of injuries? cause they’re not that tall.

Not sure if this is in the correct section, so forgive me if i made a mistake.

I only weigh 155 soaking wet at 5’8", and I squat 175lbs for reps with ass-to-floor technique. And I just started squatting again after a year off. Granted, I limp for a day or two, but that’s the fun part, right? Maybe it’s just me, but I think you are right. They are scared.

You have to start somewhere. Squatting light is better than not squatting.

[quote]AceRock wrote:
I only weigh 155 soaking wet at 5’8", and I squat 175lbs for reps with ass-to-floor technique. And I just started squatting again after a year off. Granted, I limp for a day or two, but that’s the fun part, right? Maybe it’s just me, but I think you are right. They are scared.[/quote]
I guess so, because from what i read, people are scared of injuries. Mike Boyles article here, about squatting being bad.

I also want to post that I Squat 200lbs. I can do about ten reps.
I’m not bragging, but I’m about 143lbs in body weight. I’m just making my point. Squatting is not dangerous.(I have to check Google for height measurements)

I am about 5’7 in height.

to be considered strong, you need to be able to squat 2x body weight regardless of the type of training you do. So 170lbs x 2 = 340lbs. Thats what you should be shooting for. You need to have strong legs to shoot, avoid takedowns and countless numbers of reasons. Keep increasing your loads regardless of what anyone says about “functional” training and all that garbage but keep your form correct.

There are tons of strength standards all over this site, use the search function. But 1.5x BW Bench, 2x BW squat, and 3x BW for deadlifts = strong. Get strong and lift heavy. “There is no firming and toning, only stronger and weaker”…pick a side

[quote]admbaum wrote:
to be considered strong, you need to be able to squat 2x body weight regardless of the type of training you do. So 170lbs x 2 = 340lbs. Thats what you should be shooting for. You need to have strong legs to shoot, avoid takedowns and countless numbers of reasons. Keep increasing your loads regardless of what anyone says about “functional” training and all that garbage but keep your form correct. There are tons of strength standards all over this site, use the search function. But 1.5x BW Bench, 2x BW squat, and 3x BW for deadlifts = strong. Get strong and lift heavy. “There is no firming and toning, only stronger and weaker”…pick a side[/quote]

Exactly, I got the Deadlifts covered. Bench, almost.
Squats, nope. I’m still lifting heavy, I’m sure I’ll get there by January.

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:
So, i was thinking, if you’re a new guy, you got that squat technique done correctly, and you’re about 170lbs, don’t you think lifting about 135lbs is at least a minimum requirement, even if you’re just working out for fitness in general?

I began squatting about 135lbs when i had good enough technique, but some of my “buddies”, and other guys in the gym only lift 110lbs, even though they’re close to 180lbs.

So why do i see people squatting as little as 95lbs? Scared of getting “huge”, or scared of injuries? cause they’re not that tall.

Not sure if this is in the correct section, so forgive me if i made a mistake.[/quote]

If they’re “guys” – and I use that term leniently because they are probably huge vags – squatting 95 lbs then they’re probably scared of injuries. Once again, their man cards have probably been revoked.

Or they’re complete newbs. I could only squat 115 x 3 to depth when I finally started free weights. no joke. sad times. Being a weak ass newb is ok though. As long as you strive to get stronger.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

Not sure if this is in the correct section, so forgive me if i made a mistake.[/quote]

If they’re “guys” – and I use that term leniently because they are probably huge vags – squatting 95 lbs then they’re probably scared of injuries. Once again, their man cards have probably been revoked.

Or they’re complete newbs. I could only squat 115 x 3 to depth when I finally started free weights. no joke. sad times. Being a weak ass newb is ok though. As long as you strive to get stronger.
[/quote]
Yes, of course, as long as you strive to get stronger. The problem is that these guys don’t really strive towards strength, in fear of injuries.

when I started this year I could only squat the bar with anywhere near passable form I had mobility, flexibility and was just generally damn weak. Today I got a new pb 240 pounds to below parallel and I have done 225x3 to the floor. It depends how much you want it

True, depends on your will power.

Why does it matter what others do in the gym as long as they don’t interfere with your training?

After all, there’s far worse thing than people squatting with light weight. At least they are in the gym doing something.

Focus on what you need to do to reach your goals, and be happy that those sticking to light weights aren’t hogging all the plates.

I squatted 95lbs today.
They were front squats.
For 5 sets.
Of 10.
After Back Squat 5/3/1.
I’m a pussy.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Why does it matter what others do in the gym as long as they don’t interfere with your training?

After all, there’s far worse thing than people squatting with light weight. At least they are in the gym doing something.

Focus on what you need to do to reach your goals, and be happy that those sticking to light weights aren’t hogging all the plates.[/quote]
I’m just asking why, it’s not really interfering. I’m still focusing on my business.

[quote]gabex wrote:
I squatted 95lbs today.
They were front squats.
For 5 sets.
Of 10.
After Back Squat 5/3/1.
I’m a pussy.[/quote]
Front Squats are a pain in the ass, but back squats, seriously.

When I started I was ass-weak, had poor balance, and had to learn form from scratch. Just squatting the bar was a huge coordination task, and 95lbs was a huge PR.

I started squatting around 176lbs when i was around 200. for 5 reps. And my technique was very very bad, I’m surprised I didn’t get injuries back then and now I’m getting them…

I had done a bit of leg work before I started but nothing much honestly. Reaching a bodyweight squat if you are fairly lean (since you say you do MMA I’ll assume you are) is possible in a month tops if you do things right and your technique is fine from the start.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
When I started I was ass-weak, had poor balance, and had to learn form from scratch. Just squatting the bar was a huge coordination task, and 95lbs was a huge PR.

[/quote]
How long did it take for you to get strong enough to lift 135lbs?
I’m OK with people lifting small when they’re beginners, when you need to learn technique.
And I am curious of how much you squat now.

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
I started squatting around 176lbs when i was around 200. for 5 reps. And my technique was very very bad, I’m surprised I didn’t get injuries back then and now I’m getting them…

I had done a bit of leg work before I started but nothing much honestly. Reaching a bodyweight squat if you are fairly lean (since you say you do MMA I’ll assume you are) is possible in a month tops if you do things right and your technique is fine from the start.[/quote]
Yeah, I am fairly lean. I think I had the technique right, since I got a free personal training session from my gym.
Everybody gets two free introductions to both the machines and the free weights.