New Guy with Soreness Problems

I’ve been working out pretty heavily. I used to blend bananas in my protein shakes to stave off the soreness. Since I use my bicycle for transportation, I never seem to be able to get rid of sore legs, but I did well with other muscle groups. Maybe I’m thinking about this wrong, but I digress.

Anyway, the bananas and the BCAA’s in my Body Fortress whey shake mix from Wal*mart seemed to help with the soreness. I just got the “good stuff” [Metabloic Drive] from this site a couple days ago, and I’ve been trying to do a lower carb version of my diet to lose some fat. I have also been working harder in the gym, using arts from this site.

Now, I’m sore all over, all the time.

I went to the store looking for a potassium supplement [because I thought that’s what made bananas good for soreness], but I could only find something called potassium glucoate or glucosomate or something.

The “gluc” told me it had was sugar based and the label said it only had 90 mg of potassium so I didn’t pick it up.

I’ve read that people do the Surge stuff for soreness. What’s the trick that Surge is doing? Are bananas good for sore muscles or was it more likely the BCAA’s in my other shakes, or is it a little of both? Thanks in advance!

Potassium isn’t likely do do much fore soreness.

A lot of people notice increased soreness on low-carb diets.

If you’re going to use a supplement, try Surge Recovery. The WPH and BCAA content lessen my soreness significantly.

A moderate to high quantity of fast digesting carbs post-workout will help with soreness.

Are you doing anything else for recovery? If I’m really sore I find contrast showers help a great deal.

Thanks, the carb thing seems to have helped. What’s a contrast shower? I was doing a low carb thing too. That was the problem. Now I’m focusing on small quantities of quality carbs and that has helped a ton. I’m able to work the same muscle groups much more frequently. Thanks guys.

Cold shower directly after workout has done more for soreness than any PWO nutrition change.

5 gms glutamine
20 gms protein
pre workout than 10gms glutamine 40gms protein 30 grams carbs post workout followed by a real food meal an hour later.

try beta-alainine also it prevents lactic acid build up the less lactic acid your body releases the less sore you are.

[quote]NaturalBeast275 wrote:
try beta-alainine also it prevents lactic acid build up the less lactic acid your body releases the less sore you are.
[/quote]

Beta7 is a good product, but it’s been shown that lactic acid isn’t the cause of muscle soreness so it won’t do much to help with this.

Muscle soreness is due to the microtrauma muscles suffer and the bodies response to it from a hard workout.

the burning that many new lifters experience is do the lactic acid entering the tiny rips in the muscle. so reducing the build up will reduce the burning.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Muscle soreness is due to the microtrauma muscles suffer and the bodies response to it from a hard workout.[/quote]

Actually researchers are not really sure what causes it exactly, but the microtrauma theory is a popular one.

[quote]geagon wrote:
What’s a contrast shower? [/quote]

A shower in which you stand in freezing cold water for 3-5 minutes, followed by blisteringly hot water for 30 sec-1 min. The temps should the the maximum tolerable level without actually physically hurting (like burning) yourself.

Don’t overtrain.

What assitance work are your doing pre-post workout? Foam rolling? Satic/dynamic stretching. Mobility work?

These are all tools that have helped me.

Carbs and more sleep helps with the sorenes for me. Oh and a good massage.

i wish some people would learn to read

I find glutamine (between 10g and 20g post workout) helps. It may be just because it keeps my digestive tract functioning well and therefore better absorption of nutrients, but I have really noticed a difference.

lots of fish oil after every meal except PWO

Nothing works for me like 12-24 oz of Tart Cherry Juice a day. After a week or so you can switch to some sweeter juices.

Potassium is better for cramps, but too much isn’t going to help all that much unless you balance it out with the other minerals it generally works with like magnesium, calcium and I think iodine.

The extra carbs help too, but only so much. Like I said before tart cherry juice, and if your still real sore after that you may need a weeks rest.

[quote]isuru wrote:
Carbs and more sleep helps with the sorenes for me. Oh and a good massage. [/quote]

oh and a happy ending should maximize results!

Espom salt baths works great too. Incredibly cheap, effective, and relaxing.