T Nation

New Guy - Supplements?

Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 33 and new to weight lifting. I need to get stronger and bigger! I've always been in pretty good shape until about 5 years ago when I pretty much stopped working out. I'm about 509 and 185lbs. I've allowed myself to get "soft" to say the least.

Where should I start (supplements ect...). I have tough skin, so don't hold back.

Thanks for the help,
Joe

Supplements are something you can worry about once your diet and training are in order. Or never. Seriously, they won't be a crucial piece of the puzzle. Find a diet you can implement into your daily life (seriously, paleo, intermittent fasting, iifym, whatever - it will work if you do it correctly and stick to it), start a weight training program for beginners (lots of them on this site), and keep doing it. This should be a lifestyle change, not something you do for 2-3 months and then stop.

Supplement with lifting heavy weights 3-4 times per week, doing some type of conditioning a couple times per week, getting 7-9 hours sleep per night, and about 150-200g protein per day, mostly from animal sources such as eggs, beef, etc. Limit your supplementation of refined carbs, sugars, and processed foods. Doing these things will take you about 97% of the way, so stop worrying about the other 3% until you need to.

You don't need supplements yet. Worry about getting your macronutrients. Eat meat, eggs, and drink plenty of WHOLE MILK. I'll say it again, WHOLE MILK, plenty of it. Plent of beef too. Don't forget about your veggies. If you don't know how, learn to cook. You can still eat good food, you just need to know how to cook it. Also, no processed foods. No preservatives or colorings or other garbage.

amen

Thanks for the help and your time!

I echo the thoughts of those above.

However if you have to get some supplements, I would recommend some fish oil, and a decent quality protein powder to help you reach your protein numbers. And maybe some creatine if you want.

tweet

like the other have said, supplements are really neccessary, alot of them don't do anything. But if you do get some creatine, some kind of protein powder, fish oil, and vitamin d3 are good choices.

x2 to what Nighthawkz and Ecchastang already laid out. Get great at the basics first.

If you're "soft" now, I'd suggest that it might not be the best idea to try to get even "bigger" right now. Figure out some specific goals and then attack them with a well-designed training and nutrition plan.

Could you expand on these points, please?

Why does a guy who's already "soft to say the least" need plenty of whole milk? And why's it beneficial to avoid food coloring? I'm all for eating organic and natural whenever possible, but I'm kinda thinking you're overfocusing on minutiae when bigger puzzle pieces aren't in place yet.

To adress food colouring and preservatives, the best way to look at it is like petrol. If you fill up your car with low quality fuel, gunk builds up overtime, and slows down your engine. Same with your body, minus the gunk. Colouring and preservatives has no nutritional value. They take up space. Plus there's numerous studies that link long term consumption to cancer.

I would very much prefer you expand on this with regard to the point Chris brought up.

Yes milk is just one piece of the puzzle, but it is such an important piece. It is (well at least should be) a staple in your diet. It also makes for a quick and convenient source of protein. If you're already "soft to say the least", then you're probably not going to gomad. Why whole milk? Consuming some fat is okay. Milk is the most nutritious when it's as close to its raw form as possible. Through pasteurization and homoginization, the milk is heated up to really high temperatures, which ends up destroying alot of the nutrients. And when you take some of the fat out, you're robbing the milk of even more nutrients.

The issue is this - no one I know, not even the hardcore raw guys, would recommend raw whole milk to anyone who may have to lose fat. yeah, the protein is high quality, but you get a shit ton of calories for each gram of protein. That makes it great for skinny people but bad for some others. Not unhealthy, just suboptimal.

For real? This is some seriously fuzzy thinking. As for cancer links, always take a look at the dosages given to the (usually mice) subjects.

I would suggest a quality moisturizer. Maybe something with coconut oil. Tough skin is a pretty easy problem to work through, it just takes some patience. You can buy very good moisturizers at most convenience stores.

Hope this helps!

I really hope you stop posting soon. every bit of every post you've made on this site is garbage. The 'best way look at it' is to not compare our bodies to cars, because our bodies are not fucking cars. Bodies are cellular in structure, which means regeneration is constantly occurring. This is not the case with cars.

You're just using the car example because it's easy and it makes it sound like you're not talking out of your ass. Also, please cite these 'numerous studies', and explain how they relate to the subject at hand.

I'd love to see the awesome physique you've built by implementing the bullshit advice you've spread on this site.

Even if we did want to go with this analogy, the OP doesn't even own a car yet, so there's very little point in making sure he pays attention to avoiding "low quality fuel".

As for the milk, as was said, it's absurd to make whole milk a staple in the menu of anyone dealing with bodyfat because, like nighthawkz said, you're getting a load of sugar, fat, and calories along with a modest amount of protein.

Wait, so the 17-year old with no stats listed and half his posts in PWI might just be talking out of his ass? Sir, I am shocked, outraged, and mildly flabbergasted.

I probably shouldn't mention this, as not to confuse OP, BUT.. consumption of whole milk is correlated with less calories consumed overall. This is mostly due to the fact that whole milk is really filling and sticks w/ you for a long time. I also think (it's been a while since I read it), that people that consume whole milk live longer and generally have better health indicators overall (though, that's just more correlation).

Basically, OP... there are no shortcuts. Cutting out just one thing is not going to solve any problems, whether it's milk, potatoes, bread, red meat, fruit, or whatever. Overall calories are more important.

I should have kept in mind the OP is trying to LOSE weight. I just got sidetracked. In which case, yes, one wouldn't pound down whole milk. And if I'm talking out my ass, then what the hell is your argument?

Oh?

I find that interesting because whole milk has been a critical tool in my arsenal to ensure adequate overall calories. Without it, I often didn't get enough calories. Things are a bit different now that I'm not making/buying all of my meals, and oils are featured prominently in most of the home cooked food, but before then, whole milk was very much a staple, occasionally subbed with sweetened condensed milk and/or half and half.