T Nation

New Guy Looking for Advice

Hey folks
I'm 26 and live in the UK, I have recently lost a reasonable amount of weight (4 stone or 25kg) and because of that, 6 months ago i started to play rugby again for the first time in 9 years.

I have been going to the gym pretty regularly for the last couple of years however i have never actually done any lifting so to speak, its all been classes or cardio work so i am a complete novice to lifting.

The reason i joined here is because i know i need to get some strength back because i think i have lost some muscle along with fat on my big VLCD (Very low calorie diet). Now i am still in fat loss mode at the moment (not drastic but still loosing a couple of pounds a week) and i currently way 14.5 stone (92kg).

I have been looking for a program that i can start with that i can use at the rugby club gym, its nothing fancy but there are lots of free weights and benches and im sure it can be useful to get me going as its on my way home from work and i get to use it for free.

The basic program i have found is the beginners blast off program http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dawg_school_1
however i am slightly confused about something:
an extract from the program:
{
Monday: Chest and Triceps

I want you to perform two to three sets of 10 to 12 reps

Chest and Triceps:-
Dumbbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Flyes
Lying Tricep Extension (Skull crushers) using either dumbbells or an EZ-curl bar.
}

Am i drastically underestimating how long this should take or am i missing out some routines that should be included every session as to me it doesn't look like it could fill 20minutes let alone 30-60.

Sorry if this is an idiotic question as i said above i really am new to this and im excited to get started properly.
I have been reading this site for the past couple of weeks and learned about the advantage of muscle when trying to loose fat but im at the stage were i want to gain strength/muscle but not gain weight.

Thanks in advance
Ken

It simply means that your workouts will be short: there's nothing wrong about it! Lets break in details a normal session:

• 5 min of light aerobic, just to break a little sweat;
  • 5 min of mobility drills for the bodypart you're working;
  • 5 min for a couple of sets of the first exercise (let's say 2x10 at 50% and 70% of working weight);
  • 5-6 min for your actual 3 sets of 10-12, with 1-2 min of rest between sets;
  • 10-12 min for the two other exercises (do a warm up set or two, if you feel you need them);
  • 5-10 min of stretching;

45 min; don't be too concerned about staying more than necessary; you'll grow outside the gym!

Perfect, thanks Fabiop.

looking forward to it now :slight_smile: