T Nation

New Guy Introduction!

Hi guys, I just signed up and thought I’d say hi.

Been training for 5 years now. I was a diabetic at a whopping 250lbs of fat barely lifting a burger, now I’m 212 and no longer a diabetic. Weight training made a significant difference to say the least. Now I’m practically addicted, and trouble is that I can’t and do not take enough time off. I go about 5 days a week, for 1.5 to 2 hrs each day.

I’m here now cause I am always looking to learn new tips and techniques, with the goal of always lifting more without an “end” in sight.

One question I have is about de-loading. Before I even knew that it existed, I used to do a variation of it because I figured the body will adapt to my training and resting would trick the body into getting better results in the future. I also change the exercise and switch up the movement. At one point I was working out so much that I was tired AND having constant tendinitis, injuries, and slowing gains and performance.

On my “light” or de-loading days, what i used to do was lift 50% of my Max… BUT, I also do 20 reps vs the usual 12 or less tilll failure… with 1 minute timed rests in-between. I found that this method got my heart rate up substantially and made me almost instantly sore in less than 24 hours. According to what I read, de-loading definitely involves less weight, but I don’t understand about the reps.

Is it better to do less weights with the SAME number of reps and sets… or its better for same weights but less reps and sets?

I don’t know if its all in my head, but I felt that going less weights made me lift weaker when I resumed with heavy weights… almost felt like my muscles recovered in a weaker state, not stronger. So I stopped de-loading altogether.

What advice can you guys offer? Thanks for the feedback!

[quote]RedBaron1981 wrote:
Hi guys, I just signed up and thought I’d say hi.

Been training for 5 years now. I was a diabetic at a whopping 250lbs of fat barely lifting a burger, now I’m 212 and no longer a diabetic. Weight training made a significant difference to say the least. Now I’m practically addicted, and trouble is that I can’t and do not take enough time off. I go about 5 days a week, for 1.5 to 2 hrs each day.

I’m here now cause I am always looking to learn new tips and techniques, with the goal of always lifting more without an “end” in sight.

One question I have is about de-loading. Before I even knew that it existed, I used to do a variation of it because I figured the body will adapt to my training and resting would trick the body into getting better results in the future. I also change the exercise and switch up the movement. At one point I was working out so much that I was tired AND having constant tendinitis, injuries, and slowing gains and performance.

On my “light” or de-loading days, what i used to do was lift 50% of my Max… BUT, I also do 20 reps vs the usual 12 or less tilll failure… with 1 minute timed rests in-between. I found that this method got my heart rate up substantially and made me almost instantly sore in less than 24 hours. According to what I read, de-loading definitely involves less weight, but I don’t understand about the reps.

Is it better to do less weights with the SAME number of reps and sets… or its better for same weights but less reps and sets?

I don’t know if its all in my head, but I felt that going less weights made me lift weaker when I resumed with heavy weights… almost felt like my muscles recovered in a weaker state, not stronger. So I stopped de-loading altogether.

What advice can you guys offer? Thanks for the feedback! [/quote]

if you’ve been going 2 hours a day for 5 days a week for 5 years. take atleast 2 weeks off from the gym. NO LIFTING OR RUNNING.

deloading is usually very personal and depends on how you feel.

After 4-6 months without a deload a usual 7 days is needed for me.

but if it’s only been a few months and I’m burnt out I’ll only take 4 or 5.

another option would be to do half the weight and half the sets on all your exercises.

but if you havent deloaded in over a year dude take some fucking time off your body will love you for it.

^ Agreed. I’m taking a deload week with 2/3 volume and 1/2-2/3 intensity every four weeks (thank you, 5/3/1 program!) but would advise to take a week off of everything every few months, just to let the body take a breather. For me that means all supplements and cardio, too. I come back to the weights with a new energy and usually notice the benefit a couple of workouts later, as I won’t feel as worn out as I did after earlier microcycles.

I hate “deloads.” I honestly feel better the more often I’m in the gym, and when I take time off I don’t feel any better coming back, I feel weaker. It’s definitely something that varies from person to person. I have taken one day off of the gym in the past 12 or so weeks and I feel awesome, but I know lots of others who benefit from deloads.

Thx for the info guys.

Yeah I think ill try to fight off the temptation to go to the gym this week… and if I have to, ill go light weights and shorter workout.

Just getting out of bed this morning was a painful task from the squats… I honestly HATE squatting.

To Redboron.The central nervious system is compromised by overtraining.The body/adrenal gland will produce to much cortisol and you will get catabolic?muscle wasting.I know your excited and think more is better,but "less is more. I would recommend a lot more day’s off.We build when we rest and get proper nutrition,also try some sport meditation.all the best johnny

You can probably get a book from Chad Waterbury from the librairy , get huge in a hury.

You will see different programs including deloads.

From memory cutting about 50% volume is to maintain. Deload i forgot.

All the best !