New Guy Here, Could You Check Out My Program

Btw, im coming back from and injury, i am anteriour pelvic tilted and when doing 1RM on squats something happend with my groin area. Im currently going to paysical therapy to fix it, and im much much better!

I had 8 months with 4 x a week weightlifting before The injury, and i got really good results. I guess im an ectomorph type guy, gain fat and muscle easely. I now train The : chest/biceps, back/ABS and so on program that you guys posted, but not with The same exercises and sets.

And i do HIIT two times a week, on a treadmill , 5 min warmup then 4x4 with 95% max and 60% rest.

Due to my injury i had to adjust The program you guys posted!

Do you have any tips for my training ?

In 30 year old male, 100kg 28% bodyfat.

My program: (due to APT not deadlifting)

(og 1 og 2 og 3 og 4 og 5)

Mandag: chest/biceps

• Dumbell press: 3 x 8-15
  • Incline press: 3 x 8-15
  • Skrå flyes: 3 x 8-15
  • Vide Dips: 3 x Max
  • ez curl seated: 3 x 10-15
  • standing straight curl: 3 x 8-15
  • hammer curls: 3 x 8-15

Tirsdag: back/abs

• pullup with band support: 3 x max
  • seated t-bar row: 3 x 8-15
  • pulldown: 3 x 8-15
  • lat pulldown: 3 x 8-15
  • narrow grip cable row: 3 x 8-15
  • leg raise: 3 x 15-25

Torsdag: shoulder/triceps

• military press: 3 x 8-15
  • side delts raise: 3 x 8-15
  • posteriour delts: 3 x 8-15
  • facepull: 3 x 8-15
  • benchpress narrow grip: 3 x 8-15
  • french press: 3 x 8-15
    -pulldown rope/v-bar: 3 x 8-15

Fredag: bein

• squat: 3 x 8-15 (front eller back squat)
  • leg curl: 3 x 8-15 (hamstrings)
  • leg press: 3 x 8-15
  • calf raises: 3 x 12-20

Intervall: mandag & torsdag

• 5 min warmup
  • 30 sek - 2 min intervall (85%-95% av max)
  • aktiv hvile: 1 - 3 min (60%)
  • 4 runder
  • easy jog for 5 min

Thanks!

Which means it isn’t the same program, when you think about it.

There’s a lot of work there, no progression plan and almost the same sets and reps for each exercise. I’m also really curious as to why you like 8-15 reps so much. Also, there’s very little leg work and I’m a bit confused why APT means you can’t deadlift (not that you need to deadlift).

Hi @MarkKO , thanks for replying.

Well i dont deadlift because of very tight hamstrings, its a part of why i have apt. This causes me to get a butt wink, and also fail to maintain a neutural spine, again causing lower back problems.

8-15 is because somedays i lift heavier than others, but i am sure this has major room for improvment and i would love to hear from some guys in here and you, some tips to better my program!

And yeah its not The same program, just The same “day splits”

Thanks for your time, all responses with tips are more than welcome!

I’d suggest you work on getting that APT fixed as soon as possible. In the meantime, maybe Romanian deadlifts and pulling off pins or blocks would be a good option. You can have the bar at a height that let’s you maintain correct position.

I would move away from something that has you doing so much. You’ll probably be better off doing fewer exercises better. You could also use double progression: you have a rep range, say 6-8. You use the same weight until you can complete all sets at eight reps. Then you add weight and start at six again. Also, not all exercises work equally well with the same rep ranges. Direct work I believe can work very well with high reps bit larger moments sometimes work better with slightly lower reps.

For example, if you want to train four days a week:

Day 1
Squat 5x6-8, 1xAMRAP (AMRAP set is 20-30 kg lighter)
Romanian deadlift 5x10
Lunges 5x10
Superset chest supported flyes/hammer curls 3x20

Day 2
Bench press 5x6-8, 1xAMRAP (AMRAP set is 15-20 kg lighter)
Dumbbell incline press 5x10
Chest supported row 5x10
Superset fat man pull ups /EZ-bar curls 3x10(pull ups)/20(curls)

Day 3
Deadlift from blocks/pins 5x3-6
Barbell row 5x10
Back raise 5x15
Superset chest supported flyes/tricep pushdowns 3x20

Day 4
Military press 5x6-8, 1xAMRAP (AMRAP set is 10-15 kg lighter)
Dips 5x10
Dumbbell rows 5x10
Superset fat man pull ups/hammer curls 3x10(pull ups)/20(curls)

Hi @MarkKO, thanks for a very informative reply!

I see the program you posted has The different exercices more spread out during The week, is this because you then can get push and pull exercices on The same day?

And i should proparbly focus on doing fewer exercices better!

I am stretching everyday to better my mobility, starting to get much better!

I have tried romanian deadlifting, but with this exercise, deadlift and bent over rows, i have been getting lower back pain. Proparbly because of tight hamstrings. But maybe also because of too heavy loads on The barbell. Im gonna try around a bit and see if i can manage to lift easy weight and strengthen The areas causing pain.

@kissa my pleasure.

You absolutely can push and pull on the same day. Over time I have found it is very good for me to press and row in that order in the same session. I have also found alternating or super setting presses and rows to work quite well.

I also think that of all assistance exercises, rowing/pulling is the most beneficial overall, or at least equal to having strong glutes and hamstrings. I’m probably biased though, because the back of my body tends to be stronger and develop better.

Focusing on doing fewer exercises well will help. Over time, you will find out which ones work best for you.

If barbell rows are a problem, try Pendlay rows. I’m pretty sure they take a fair bit of stress off your lower back. Honestly, your best bet IMO is to work on improving your mobility and while you are doing that work with what you can do. There is no reason to deadlift if you aren’t a powerlifter and it is a risky exercise to do. I think it’s a great exercise and beneficial if you can do it, but you can most certainly do without it.

For example, there is no reason you couldn’t replace deadlifts with squats on day three - you’d simply squat twice a week. You could have day one as your ‘standard’ day where you work on improving your reps to hit the top number and on day three you’d just practice and as long as you hit your minimum not worry. If you feel good, aim for the higher end of the rep range, but if you’re not feeling you wouldn’t worry.

Yes, i think working on my mobility and getting a greater focus on fewer exercices would be better.

I see there is about 7-8 back exercices, 3 chest exercises (counting dips) and three leg exercises. Is there any particular reason there is alot of backwork? And for shoulders i only saw The military press, but maybe The rowing exercises also work The shoulders alot?

Im gonna check out The day 4 tomorrow.

Could I ask what you do for APT therapy? I have a case of it myself, and i want to be able to pull conventional again.

So far I am doing about 5 minutes of abs (hanging leg raises and RKC planks) and isolation glute work as prehab nearly everyday.

Sorry to go off topic.

@khmccarthy no problem.

I do alot of core work, stretch my quads, hip flexors and hamstrings. Until my form is better im very gentle with major lifts like deadlifts and squats, for The moment i dont deadlift, but do romanian deadlifts to strengthen The glutes and hamstrings, and give them a good stretch.

I try to squeese my butt when i walk and tighten up my abs, this creates a better posture.

I also try to be as active as possible, take 10 min of every 60 min you sit still and do some pushups or squats, whatever makes your body move. Maybe go for a walk, apt is often a result of inactivity.

also check out foam rolling exercises, but make sure you do them correctly!

Hope it helps!

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Good questions. I’ll try to answer them.

• IMO you can’t go wrong with lots of back work. It’s a big area and is absolutely essential to all the big lifts in some way. Your upper back stabilises the shoulders for all pressing, keeps your chest upright in the squat and stops the bar drifting forward in the deadlift. The lower and middle back work hard in military pressing and keep you upright in the squat, not to mention the work they do in the deadlift. All this is why I think of all assistance work, rows and back work is possibly the most important.

• don’t forget that barbell rows and back raises will work the hamstrings and glutes, which are definitely part of your legs. Deadlifting off pins, if they’re low enough, should also work your legs some. Plus, if you opt to do day one twice instead of day three, that’s double the leg work.

• incline and military press work the shoulders hard. My military press increased simply by benching, incline pressing and working my rear delts and traps. The flyes will do exactly that.

Thanks @MarkKO , after getting my APT right i will try it out.

1 Like

Also @khmccarthy , check this video out, follow this and your on your way to fix your APT.

Good video. I’ll definitely try this out.

One thing that I started recently that has helped is doing unbanded clam shells, just focusing on actually flexing the glute. I found that my quad was doing all the work, so I had to strengthen the mind-muscle connection.

Hey again @MarkKO.

I have had great progress with the program you setup for me, thanks alot!

Due to a more hectic work weeks ahead i have to drop down to three days a week with lifting. My question is what would the 4 day program you gave me look like as a 3 day program?

I like all the exercises you put in the program!

Thanks for any answers.

Christian

1 Like

Mate, I’m glad it’s been working for you.

I’d run DL and press together. DL, then press. Drop both supersets and the barbell rows, keep everything else.

I highly suggest posting vids for technique analysis. People could then point things out and give you some useful cues to think of while doing the lifts.

You can then continue to take videos and see if you’re doing what people have suggested and even have people re-evaluate.

This has been immensely valuable for me in the past.

I would post a vid of a big squat and hip hinge variation. Not a weight your killing yourself with, but something challenging. Like something that would leave 2-4 reps in the tank depending on how many reps you do.

I myself am not fond of romanian deadlifts because the temptation to make my back do the work and not my glutes, hips, and hams is too much. Instead, I’ve had great luck with goodmornings. You can do them with bent knees, bar over middle foot the whole time like with an RDL or you can do them with semi-stiff knees, bar going forward the middle of the foot like a stiff-legged DL. It’s a lot easier for me keep my back straight.