T Nation

New Goals, New Plan?

So about 18 months ago I decided to really commit to a new lifestyle and change my fitness plan and goals. I've always lifted but never really was committed or had a real goal. I was 275 lbs and about 22% BF. My goal at the time was to get a six pack. In retrospect I should have set a smaller goal but I reached my goal none the less. At 6'4" I have leaned out quite a bit and gotten myself down to 225-230 lbs.

I really wanted to be lean when I started but I was use to being a big guy. Now I feel thin and want to start packing on some more size/muscle. I've been eating about 3200 Calories daily with a 40% carb /40% protein /20% fat split. I haven't really added any weight since I did a cut a month ago where I cut my calories to 2300 daily and dropped from 238 to 225.

Since I finally got abs that I never had before Id like to keep them while adding size. I guess this is going to be a challenge. Should I just deal with losing them to add muscle and then look to cut again in the future or should I try to build slowly?

I guess my real question is how do I set goals now? I want to add muscle and size but the scale is misleading. I dont want to pack on fat pounds. This fitness journey has really been an individual thing. I dont have a lifting partner, or friends that are into the lifestyle. So I dont have anyone to bounce ideas off or get real feedback. I never know if Im doing something right , wrong etc. I know having goals really has helped me feel like I am making progress so figuring out a realistic short term goal is important for me.

Build slowly, unless you really enjoyed the fat loss process.

hey nice job man.

I guess my real question is how do I set goals now? I want to add muscle and size but the scale is misleading. I dont want to pack on fat pounds. This fitness journey has really been an individual thing. I dont have a lifting partner, or friends that are into the lifestyle. So I dont have anyone to bounce ideas off or get real feedback. I never know if Im doing something right , wrong etc. I know having goals really has helped me feel like I am making progress so figuring out a realistic short term goal is important for me.