New GnR

Any thoughts about the new GnR disc?

Better is very strong as is Madagascar, the others are beginning to grow on me.

jnd

Have only heard Chinese Democracy on the radio. I like it a lot, though. I’ll be buying the new record when it comes out.

Downloaded it yesterday. Listened to it twice. Pretty good. Not 17 years worth good, but pretty good.

I thought the single was aweful…

[quote]doogie wrote:
Downloaded it yesterday. Listened to it twice. Pretty good. Not 17 years worth good, but pretty good.[/quote]

How could any music be 17 years good? I set my expectations really low and I am being pleasantly surprised.

jnd

It’s growing on me. I really like I.R.S. so far.

it is growing on me too. I thought Axl’s voice was more shot than it is. Never be able to stand up to the old stuff.

You mean CD actually came out? Dr. Pepper owes everyone some free shit.

Its pretty damn good.

Yep. And they’re actually making good on the deal too!

Hurry up though!

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
You mean CD actually came out? Dr. Pepper owes everyone some free shit.[/quote]

Ok, now I have to listen to it. Everyone I know has not liked it.

I will reserve judgement.

I liked GnR for about 10 minutes in the 80s.
I have absolutely zero interest in anything Axle Rose puts out solo. GnR was a group effort where its strengths were unique to the original band members.

I hope the rest of the album is better than the single they released.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
GnR was a group effort where its strengths were unique to the original band members.
[/quote]

x2 — The whole was definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

I’m on my second listen through Chinese Democracy. I’m giving it an initial 4 out of 10.

Appetite for Destruction changed the music scene at the time. This latest effort is a far cry from AfD.

OK, as I’m finishing this post, I’ve already downgraded to a 3.

This shit sounds like Seal meets RockNRoll. WTF?

The bottom line? You can’t have GnR without Slash.

Sending.to.RecycleBin

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Appetite for Destruction changed the music scene at the time. [/quote]

I agree, SD.
Some rock critics think Nirvana changed rock’s direction away from the hair-metal crap. But in fact bands like GnR and later the Black Crowes brought back more of that classic hard rock sound.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Sending.to.RecycleBin[/quote]

take a vacation, dude

which one was that she never said goodbye song?

Hmmm… While we were waiting for GNR to release another album, we have bands like Tool and Pantera who rose to fame.

I guess they felt that they couldn’t keep up.

The new stuff is meh.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:

The bottom line? You can’t have GnR without Slash.
[/quote]

I can’t pass judgment on the new disc as I haven’t heard it, but I agree with the Slash comment. Asshole Rose screeching was always like kneeling on glass to me. Never understood the popularity.