T Nation

New Full Body Workout

I have been making pretty good strength gains by doing a 4 day split and having 3 rest days a week. However my strength hasn’t gone up much on the 3 big lifts. I’m looking to improve them and i thought that if I were to do a body workout and use these lifts more that they would improve better. The workout that I found that looked the best to me is:

W-A
Squat 4x8-10
Bench 4x8-10
TBar Row 8-10
Dips 2x8-10

W-B
Deads 2x8-10
OH Press 3x8-10
Lat Pullups 3x8-10

What do you guys think of it? And what can i do inplace of dips because they hurt my chest and i can’t breath when doing them. Also how do the reps/sets look? Thanks a lot.

EDIT : I am trying to build muscle.

what are your goals

to build muscle

well if you want to get your big lifts up id try sticking with the 5x5 system. I’ve noticed that its a fairly simple method that produces good results in both size and strength as it worked for me when i plateued. If you want to get more advanced id do some research on louie simmons methods as well as a few other strength programs and try to devise a program that would give you benefits from all angles

Pullups>pulldowns

dips pretty much killed my open aread between my pecs too. the funny part is that it hurt the same from bodyweight to 55 pounds extra around my waist. You don’t necesarilly need to isolate triceps with heavy presses in a routine, but I recomend skullcrushers.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Pullups>pulldowns

dips pretty much killed my open aread between my pecs too. the funny part is that it hurt the same from bodyweight to 55 pounds extra around my waist. You don’t necesarilly need to isolate triceps with heavy presses in a routine, but I recomend skullcrushers.[/quote]

oops i meant to write pullups… well dips are a compound exercise… skullcrushers aren’t

Currently I Sq. Bench and DL on Mondays 5x5. Wensday I do Box Squats and Bench DE and work on form. On Fridays I do all three lifts again but change what I do depending on how I feel that day (Usually keep it at about 85%-90% and do doubles or triples).

Other then the 3 big lifts i do Glute Ham Raise 3 sets each day, and pull ups. Light Bis and Tris on friday. O yea and on wensday Overhead Press 3x8. Also usually do some sled work.

What you posted was similair to mine so I figured I’d post just to show ya what I do and maybe it can help you sculpt your own routine. Good Luck.

[quote]ss847859 wrote:
Currently I Sq. Bench and DL on Mondays 5x5. Wensday I do Box Squats and Bench DE and work on form. On Fridays I do all three lifts again but change what I do depending on how I feel that day (Usually keep it at about 85%-90% and do doubles or triples).

Other then the 3 big lifts i do Glute Ham Raise 3 sets each day, and pull ups. Light Bis and Tris on friday. O yea and on wensday Overhead Press 3x8. Also usually do some sled work.

What you posted was similair to mine so I figured I’d post just to show ya what I do and maybe it can help you sculpt your own routine. Good Luck.[/quote]

how are the results from yours so far?

also do you guys think i should add another exercise or 2? 3 exercises each workout seems pretty short

Id base each day on three moves. push, pull and legs, DO them each and really DO them and if you have energy or the need after do what ever your lil heart desires as youve done the real work Just remember you have to recover for the next full body session

Phill

So i think ill stick to

W-A
Squat 4x8-10
Bench 4x8-10
TBar Row 8-10

W-B
Deads 2x8-10
OH Press 3x8-10
Lat Pullups 3x8-10

and on W-A if im not too dead ill do some ab work, and on W-B ill do some arms

yup looks good. Maybe a day between those two of more unilateral. Like Lunges, some DB pressing or dips, and some DB rowing

Phill