New Full Body Plan. In Need of Advice

After years of skulking and stealing ideas here. here is goes with my first post:
Id love to have some critique/advice on my new full body routine,

A)
BENCH 3X5
SQUAT 3X5
ROWS 4X8
DIPS 30 total
CURL 100 Total
FARMER WALK 2x1 minute

B)
PRESS 3x5
DEADLIFT 3X5
CLEAN 4x6
PULL UP 30 total
PUSH UPS 100 total
SIDE RAISE 100 total

A)
BENCH 3x5
SQUAT 3x5
ROWS 4x8
DIPS 30 total
CURL 100 total
FARMER WALK 2x1 minute

3x a week. week 1 A B A. week 2 B A B. I do some hill sprints after my workout if i have the time and some ab work (leg raises, l sits) and mobility/band work on off days.

I have never seen farmer’s walks done for time. I don’t quite understand the benefit of that.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I have never seen farmer’s walks done for time. I don’t quite understand the benefit of that.[/quote]

I’ve done them briefly myself, although not for long enough to be convinced of their benefits.

What, specifically, are you hoping to achieve with this plan?

Without knowing that, my biggest criticism would be that I’ve always found ballistic movements like the clean are most effective when performed early, or first, in a workout. I find I lack the “snap” later on to get any real benefit from them, whereas doing them first makes my squats and deadlifts feel easier.

I have never seen farmer’s walks done for time. I don’t quite understand the benefit of that.[/quote]

I got a homegym and live on the 3rd floor. Walking for distance is a little bit complicated for me. I actually got the idea here:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

Without knowing that, my biggest criticism would be that I’ve always found ballistic movements like the clean are most effective when performed early, or first, in a workout. I find I lack the “snap” later on to get any real benefit from them, whereas doing them first makes my squats and deadlifts feel easier.[/quote]

You are absolutely right. Power and technical before strenght. Ill change that.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

Without knowing that, my biggest criticism would be that I’ve always found ballistic movements like the clean are most effective when performed early, or first, in a workout. I find I lack the “snap” later on to get any real benefit from them, whereas doing them first makes my squats and deadlifts feel easier.[/quote]

Im just a weekend warrior. I just enjoy lifting weights. I am not training for anything in particular. I have cartilage damage in my elbow and shoulder and I feel that I recover best with 3 full body workouts per week.

You might find this useful:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Hey CT,

Any thoughts on loaded carries on off days? or as optional work on lower days? It’s getting nice out and I wouldn’t mind training outside a bit!

Thanks,
Chris [/quote]

Loaded carries should be done on the days you train, either at the end of the workout or as a separate session.

Famer’s walk can be done on deadlift day
Overhead carries on push press day
Prowler/sled or yoke carry on squat day
Zercher carries on bench press day[/quote]

[quote]santi020 wrote:

I got a homegym and live on the 3rd floor. Walking for distance is a little bit complicated for me. I actually got the idea here:
https://www.T-Nation.com/training/the-best-exercises-period[/quote]

The issue I take with it is I don’t understand how you would program/monitor progression.

Like, let’s say I decide I’m going to do farmer’s carries with 225 per hand for 1 minute.

Day 1, I do my 1 minute of farmer’s carries. I manage to travel 180’.

Day 2, I do the minute of farmer’s carries. I’ve having a real rough day, and I shuffle my feet a total of 5’ before the minute expires.

In both cases, I did 1 minute of farmer’s carries, but one was a VASTLY superior workout than the other. I feel like it would be more beneficial to have a distance goal to travel and just keep upping the weight or reducing the amount of time it takes to get there.

Otherwise, I do timed holds for grip, but I don’t walk anywhere with it.

EDIT: I suppose you could monitor total distance traveled for the span of 1 minute and try to beat those records every workout and also add weight to the 1 minute. Just feels odd to me, like it wouldn’t really promote fast footspeed knowing that it’s still a minute of travel regardless.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
You might find this useful:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Hey CT,

Any thoughts on loaded carries on off days? or as optional work on lower days? It’s getting nice out and I wouldn’t mind training outside a bit!

Thanks,
Chris [/quote]

Loaded carries should be done on the days you train, either at the end of the workout or as a separate session.

Famer’s walk can be done on deadlift day
Overhead carries on push press day
Prowler/sled or yoke carry on squat day
Zercher carries on bench press day[/quote]
[/quote]

I programmed it first on deadlift day, but i figure with deadlifts, cleans and pull ups my grip will be pretty much gone at the end of the workout to add some heavy farmers walk.

[quote]santi020 wrote:

https://www.T-Nation.com/training/the-best-exercises-period[/quote]

The issue I take with it is I don’t understand how you would program/monitor progression.

Like, let’s say I decide I’m going to do farmer’s carries with 225 per hand for 1 minute.

Day 1, I do my 1 minute of farmer’s carries. I manage to travel 180’.

Day 2, I do the minute of farmer’s carries. I’ve having a real rough day, and I shuffle my feet a total of 5’ before the minute expires.

In both cases, I did 1 minute of farmer’s carries, but one was a VASTLY superior workout than the other. I feel like it would be more beneficial to have a distance goal to travel and just keep upping the weight or reducing the amount of time it takes to get there.

Otherwise, I do timed holds for grip, but I don’t walk anywhere with it.[/quote]

I was thinking just to walk around with my trap bar/1 db until I manage to hit the 1 minute and then to add weight. Offcourse distance would be be better. But if I keep consistent with walking same route and similar steps every time I can reasonably measure progress.

[quote]santi020 wrote:
I programmed it first on deadlift day, but i figure with deadlifts, cleans and pull ups my grip will be pretty much gone at the end of the workout to add some heavy farmers walk.
[/quote]

I use straps on farmer’s. Seems to help in that regard.

Looks pretty good to me. Only thing that comes to mind is that 3x5 sets of deadlifts might be tough to recover from if done 1.5 times / week, assuming they’re sets across. Might want to consider ramping to top set or top set plus 1-2 back-off sets.

[quote]santi020 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

Im just a weekend warrior. I just enjoy lifting weights. I am not training for anything in particular. I have cartilage damage in my elbow and shoulder and I feel that I recover best with 3 full body workouts per week.
[/quote]

If you’re simply doing this because you enjoy the process, I see no reason to change anything. If you don’t have goals, there is nothing to work towards. So really, any plan that you enjoy satisfies your conditions.

I do something roughly similar. Use high intensity and aim to double or triple that pullup volume ASAP. Occasionally do clean and press for 30 reps at 135.

EDIT: I suppose you could monitor total distance traveled for the span of 1 minute and try to beat those records every workout and also add weight to the 1 minute. Just feels odd to me, like it wouldn’t really promote fast footspeed knowing that it’s still a minute of travel regardless.[/quote]

For non-strongmen, I would say increasing footspeed probably isn’t the main goal.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]santi020 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[/quote]

If you’re simply doing this because you enjoy the process, I see no reason to change anything. If you don’t have goals, there is nothing to work towards. So really, any plan that you enjoy satisfies your conditions.[/quote]

If you don’t know where you’re going, any road will get you there.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

EDIT: I suppose you could monitor total distance traveled for the span of 1 minute and try to beat those records every workout and also add weight to the 1 minute. Just feels odd to me, like it wouldn’t really promote fast footspeed knowing that it’s still a minute of travel regardless.[/quote]

For non-strongmen, I would say increasing footspeed probably isn’t the main goal.[/quote]

Not an increase in footspeed, simply a fast footspeed. The intensity element of the exercise.

Like, if I know the distance I have to travel is 60’, I will move as quickly as possible to get me to that end goal, because the farmer’s walk sucks and it feels like you’re going to explode the whole time you do it. Moving the feet quickly in turn is developing a lot of beneficial factors to the farmer’s walk, to include coordination, speed, athleticism, and of course some brute strength from being able to move with heavy weights quickly.

For a set amount of time, I don’t see the incentive to move quickly, and I feel like the exercise would become simply “going for a walk while holding some weights”.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

For non-strongmen, I would say increasing footspeed probably isn’t the main goal.[/quote]

Not an increase in footspeed, simply a fast footspeed. The intensity element of the exercise.

Like, if I know the distance I have to travel is 60’, I will move as quickly as possible to get me to that end goal, because the farmer’s walk sucks and it feels like you’re going to explode the whole time you do it. Moving the feet quickly in turn is developing a lot of beneficial factors to the farmer’s walk, to include coordination, speed, athleticism, and of course some brute strength from being able to move with heavy weights quickly.

For a set amount of time, I don’t see the incentive to move quickly, and I feel like the exercise would become simply “going for a walk while holding some weights”.[/quote]

In an enclosed gym environment, the two options that occur to me are walks for distance, which necessitate sticking very carefully to the same route, regardless of who, or what, gets in your way, or for time while focussing on fast feet. I think I would always go for the later in that situation. Under load, I can just about coax my braincells into thinking fast feet, I think my brain and will power would get fried trying to carefully stick to the same route, while avoiding the douche “spotting” his bro on the lateral raise and the only crossfit guy in town’s cluster of equipment.

Hi santi020,

I can’t critic your program cause I’m a novice lifter.

I will just point out 2 things that I feel a bit strange :

• You put BP before Squat, it’s usually the contrary cause Squat are hard as hell so unless you have a specific goal in mind maybe consider switch the 2 ?

• I would find hard on the lower back to do clean after quite fairly heavy deadlift (I assume it’s kind of heavy cause you go for 5 reps).

Again I’m learning on this forum so tha’ts not advice, just my thought according to what I read or heard.

GL for your next routine and your training :slight_smile: