New Forum For Training Logs?

So this is my post of potential advice to the powers that be at T-Nation. I think maybe it would be a good idea since there are now so many logs of members to keep them all in one area.

I know that I spend most of my time on T-Nation seeing what others are doing, to learn, be inspired, etc. I think it would be cool to be able to find these all in one place, rather than have to weed through each forum to find the ones I like to read, or wait for them to pop up on the most recent? Just a thought, anyone agree?

I was just thinking the same thing like 2 days ago. It would make them much easier to find and sort through. Good idea posting that.

Kubo

I like this idea a lot. It would be very interesting to read what some of you guys are doing.

Thats a great idea. I’ve been thinking about using my blog area for a workout journal but I would much rather have a thread in a ‘online journals’ area.

Don’t you think the Blog area they’ve given each of us is perfect for posting a daily report like a workout? Then it’s right where everyone can go to it IF they want to see what you did today.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
Don’t you think the Blog area they’ve given each of us is perfect for posting a daily report like a workout? Then it’s right where everyone can go to it IF they want to see what you did today.[/quote]

Agree completely. That is what it was designed for and you can’t get more convenient then how it is set up.

D

I like the idea of a training log section too. I have no idea who all is doing one until it happens to come up. I think it would be good to see what other people are doing and what kind of results they are getting. One convenient place to go to to find them all would be great.

The ones that people keep updated would stay at the top and the inactive ones would fall out of sight. I also think it would help foster camaraderie between members because when I read the training logs it seems like people kind of get to know each other better.

I also agree that maybe the blogs would be good, but can you respond to the blogs and would there be a way to access all the training blogs from one point?

Just me .02 cents.

Blogs would work, but it’s a little more difficult to browse to each persons individual page, check for updates, etc. If there was a forum as they were updated they would float to the top. Maybe i’m just being lazy.

looks like this idea is dead…darn

[quote]gitrpumped wrote:
looks like this idea is dead…darn[/quote]

That’s probably because of things like this:

[quote][quote]TShaw wrote:
Don’t you think the Blog area they’ve given each of us is perfect for posting a daily report like a workout? Then it’s right where everyone can go to it IF they want to see what you did today.[/quote]
[/quote]

Which is absolutely correct. I mean, they have given each of us a way to post all of that info for all to see if we want people to…including a way for our pics to be shown if we want them seen. To ignore all of that and want even more as if that isn’t enough makes me cringe when I think how the designers of it must feel. If people aren’t using THEIR OWN PERSONAL BLOG SPACE AND STORAGE AREA…!!!THAT’S FREE!!! now, why does anyone think they will suddenly do it just because a whole new forum was created for it?

Those who want to already are. If you are interested, track that individual’s blog. It is that simple. Why act as if it isn’t?

ok, i see your point. Is there a way I can add the blogs to a list somewhere in my T-Nation?

I’m not exactly inclined to read training logs. I’d like a separate forum just for them so I don’t see 15 links to training logs in the Top 30 Discussions box.

[quote]BFBullpup wrote:
I’m not exactly inclined to read training logs. I’d like a separate forum just for them so I don’t see 15 links to training logs in the Top 30 Discussions box.[/quote]

If people used their personal blog area, you wouldn’t see them in the Top 30. No separate forum needed.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
If people used their personal blog area, you wouldn’t see them in the Top 30. No separate forum needed.[/quote]

Right, but they aren’t. Some people just want the publicity of posting it in the forum, as opposed to a blog that I wouldn’t see if I didn’t know who you are and what your login name is.

[quote]
TShaw wrote:
If people used their personal blog area, you wouldn’t see them in the Top 30. No separate forum needed.

BFBullpup wrote:
Right, but they aren’t. Some people just want the publicity of posting it in the forum, as opposed to a blog that I wouldn’t see if I didn’t know who you are and what your login name is.[/quote]

Well, I can’t argue with that. But it’s a a behavior issue, not a technology issue. Speaking as a tech guy at a high school, I hate it when the administration ask me to come up with some technical workaround because they can’t educate teachers to do the proper thing.

I agree that the separate forum that I can turn off is tempting, and I have no doubt that the technical people behind this site could come up with a clever and useful form for training logs that would beat any TLog Fora found on other sites.

But they shouldn’t have to.

[quote]BFBullpup wrote:
TShaw wrote:

Right, but they aren’t. Some people just want the publicity of posting it in the forum, as opposed to a blog that I wouldn’t see if I didn’t know who you are and what your login name is.[/quote]

Right that’s the same reason I’d rather have a seperate section. It’s not like I add everyone on the site to my friend list, so if their profile is private, I can’t see it, and if I don’t know the user, I won’t know to check.

[quote]gitrpumped wrote:
ok, i see your point. Is there a way I can add the blogs to a list somewhere in my T-Nation?[/quote]

Just click on the USER OPTIONS menu at the bottom right of anyone’s post for direct links to that person’s Blogs, Videos, Photos, etc in their My T-Nation.

Or, even simpler, click on the user name to the left of any post they author.

See, the issue with a list is that every single person on this site has a Blog (or at least access to one; whether they use it or not is up to them). That would be one huge list that would require hierarchy sorting and search capabilities. Now, while this is totally doable, it’s just as easy to search for a particular person and go to their profile (My T-Nation) where their Blog is located. Or, get to them via the USER OPTIONS menu I suggested above.

These Blogs we’ve set up for everyone to use also include individual RSS feeds. So if you find one you’d like to follow, all you have to do is subscribe to it with your favorite RSS aggregator and you’ll be notified when the Blog is updated.

Thanks lfm, all the info I needed! Didn’t realize the rss was available.

Sounds like an ok idea, but in the end it’ll probably end up with noobs posting bad routines and getting flamed for it, much like the photo forum.

No problem. No doubt there is a need to make the My T-Nation stuff more noticeable / well known. These threads help that. But either way, the RSS option is the best way to watch Blogs in which you are interested.

[quote]gitrpumped wrote:
Thanks lfm, all the info I needed! Didn’t realize the rss was available.[/quote]