New Format

The new format looks great! I like the “teaser” paragraph of the Most Recent Articles section.

It’s nice to see them experimenting, but my first reaction is “too many words”!

I don’t think being confronted with almost a page of fairly small text is very welcoming.

I think the old format looked a lot cleaner. Maybe a small picture instead of a paragraph would be good for a teaser. The titles by themselves usually make me want to read the articles.

that’s the new format? i thought it was a bug in the coding…

Ha I just figured something was wrong with the site. Doesn’t look right.

[quote]throwloud wrote:
that’s the new format? i thought it was a bug in the coding…[/quote]

Me too.

I guess we all had the same thought. If you want to display some teaser text, might I suggest some sort of mouse-over feature? This is definitely a mess.

3rd that. I like the idea, but I don’t like the look the way it is.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
throwloud wrote:
that’s the new format? i thought it was a bug in the coding…

Me too.[/quote]

Same here.
I don’t like it. There’s too much text and little “definition.”
All the articles look mixed in together.

Yeah definitely not a fan of the new format. I refreshed the screen a few times because I thought there was a problem too! Looks to cramped and busy.

The descriptive text under the title needs to be smaller text within a box.

Same size as the text when the forums navigation section is expanded. :slight_smile:

yeah agree with the above. It’s not as welcoming/orderly as the previous layout.

T-Nation more often than not has hits. However, the new format is a bit of a miss. I like the idea touted above that gives you the first paragraph as hovertext.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
It’s nice to see them experimenting, but my first reaction is “too many words”!

I don’t think being confronted with almost a page of fairly small text is very welcoming.

I think the old format looked a lot cleaner. Maybe a small picture instead of a paragraph would be good for a teaser. The titles by themselves usually make me want to read the articles.
[/quote]

i agree totally with you

IS there a “last” button for the articles on the front page with the new format? I dont see one, and I’d hate to have to find where I ended off. The last feature is one of my favs.

I’d say yes to making the paragraph text slightly smaller, and also increase the left indent a little to pull it away from the left-hand column. Either indent the entire column, or just indent the paragraph and let the title stay where it is.

LowFatMatt, how about that for a day or two?

Guys, give us a few hours.

The “look” isn’t finished yet.

And the descriptions of the articles, starting today, will be shorter and more, well, descriptive of what’s in the article.

The ones you see now are simply the first paragraph of each article.

The thing is, we were getting a strong indication that new visitors to the site they didn’t realize that the articles were articles. They thought they were just regular forum posts!

[quote]TC wrote:
Guys, give us a few hours.

The “look” isn’t finished yet.

And the descriptions of the articles, starting today, will be shorter and more, well, descriptive of what’s in the article.

The ones you see now are simply the first paragraph of each article.

The thing is, we were getting a strong indication that new visitors to the site they didn’t realize that the articles were articles. They thought they were just regular forum posts!

[/quote]

TC this isn’t the website re-design Matt talked about correct?

I like the mouseover idea people have. Not sure on how the site is coded, but in the past I have created invisible blocks of text that appear and push everything else down when you mouseover the title.

Could be a good way to go about doing it, gives you the best of both worlds.

[quote]TC wrote:

[/quote]

Are the new visitors blind? The “Most Recent Articles” banner is right above the articles. What more do they want, flashing banners and arrows pointing to the articles?

[quote]TShaw wrote:
I’d say yes to making the paragraph text slightly smaller, and also increase the left indent a little to pull it away from the left-hand column. Either indent the entire column, or just indent the paragraph and let the title stay where it is.

LowFatMatt, how about that for a day or two?[/quote]

…and the pictures make the difference, AND throw another element in to pique the interest. Nice.