New Football Advice Wanted

Hey, I’m John and i’m new here.
I am 5’8 149 Lbs.

I want to gain size a long with strength as well for football.

I have no squat rack and I play football so what routine can I do?

Easy enough…EAT BIG! LIFT BIG! im guessing your pretty new to the whole iron game, so the basics…up your calorie and protein intake…focus on your big compound lifts, bench, deadlift, and squats!

some more info about yourself would also greatly help…whats your diet and current workout like at the moment?? whats ur age?? any supplements at the moment?? any information you could put out there will help everyone help you out…how much are you putting up on your lifts??

just give us info and we will help u out

i missed that last line…no squat rack? well u still have dead lifts, lunges, overhead squats and just powerclean the weight up over your head…

there is a ton of things you can do, search this site a bit more and i think your questions can easily be answered…do you have any dumbbells, or a barbell?? are you a member of a join? does your football team lift? r u in highschool?

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
Easy enough…EAT BIG! LIFT BIG! im guessing your pretty new to the whole iron game, so the basics…up your calorie and protein intake…focus on your big compound lifts, bench, deadlift, and squats!

some more info about yourself would also greatly help…whats your diet and current workout like at the moment?? whats ur age?? any supplements at the moment?? any information you could put out there will help everyone help you out…how much are you putting up on your lifts??

just give us info and we will help u out[/quote]

I’m 14 and the only supplement i’m taking is whey protein. I eat over 3000 calories a day. I been lifting for about 3 months off and on. I have done a few split routines but didn’t like them.

i missed that last line…no squat rack? well u still have dead lifts, lunges, overhead squats and just powerclean the weight up over your head…

there is a ton of things you can do, search this site a bit more and i think your questions can easily be answered…do you have any dumbbells, or a barbell?? are you a member of a join? does your football team lift? r u in highschool?[/quote]

I’m in 9th grade going to 10th next year for the JV team. They lift in school but I don’t have a ride and i’m only without a squat rack for 2-3 weeks then i’m buying one. I have dumbbells and barbells.

Yes, eat BIG. It’s the only way.

Then do;

Power Cleans
Hang Cleans
Romanian Deadlift
Deadlifts
Military Press (clean it to your shoulders)
Push Press (clean it to your shoulders)
Floor Press (Bench Press while lying down)
Bench Press
Close Grip Bench
Row (BBL & DB)
Curls
Front Squats (again after cleraning bar to shoulders)
Overhead Squat (after snatching it or pressing it overhead)

Just hit 4 of these per day, 3 times per week for 5 sets of 5 reps and eat like a wolf (or the whole pack!).

[quote]derek wrote:
Yes, eat BIG. It’s the only way.

Then do;

Power Cleans
Hang Cleans
Romanian Deadlift
Deadlifts
Military Press (clean it to your shoulders)
Push Press (clean it to your shoulders)
Floor Press (Bench Press while lying down)
Bench Press
Close Grip Bench
Row (BBL & DB)
Curls
Front Squats (again after cleraning bar to shoulders)
Overhead Squat (after snatching it or pressing it overhead)

Just hit 4 of these per day, 3 times per week for 5 sets of 5 reps and eat like a wolf (or the whole pack!).[/quote]

Can someone throw those in a 3-4 day split for me?

Just out of curiousity, do you live close enough to your schoool that you could ride your bike their to lift?? as for protein, how many grams are you taking in a day?? are you eating 5-6 meals a day?? for gaining weight, make sure you make urself a nice thick protein shake before bed…8 ounces milk, a scoop of peanut butter, and maybe a scoop of ice cream or some cottage cheese thrown in there…

as for lifting…

you said you didnt like the split routine so why not try a total body, ive recently started doin them and results have been great, and i have been using splits for years, but total body i feel is the way to go…so give this a shot…

Day 1…
8 x 3 for everything with 60 seconds rest between each set
Bench Press
Seated Row
Pull Up
DB military press

Day 2
3 sets of 8 for everything with 90seconds rest
Squats if you can, use dumbbels or if not, do one legged squats with dumbbels off a bench…
Deadlift
Reverse Crunch
Calf Raise

Day 4
3 x 8 with 90 seconds rest
Incline DB Bench
Bent Over Rows
Barbell Cruls
Tricep Pushdowns or Extensions whatever you can do with what you have available

Day 5
8 x 3 with 60 seconds rest
Squats if u can, if not again, do lunges or reverse lunges
Romanian Deadlift
Reverse Crunch
Seated Calf Raise

Fullbody “split”.

Deadlifts, Military Press, BBL Row, Curl

Front Squat, Floor Press, Cleans, Push Press

Overhead Squat, Behind Neck Press, Close Grip Bench Press, DB row.

Simple.

[quote]xolk88 wrote:
I am 5’8 149 Lbs.

I have no squat rack and I play football so what routine can I do?[/quote]

As far as routines, check out Mike Robertson’s “Designer Athletes” and Joe DeFranco’s “Westside for Skinny Bastards I & II”. Also check out everything by Eric Cressey you can get your hands on.

In terms of not having a squat rack, do your school gym not have one?

For eating, at your age, keep it relatively clean. Check out Berardi’s 10 Habits.

I’m not sure if I missed it, but what position do you play?

[quote]novagreg wrote:
xolk88 wrote:
I am 5’8 149 Lbs.

I have no squat rack and I play football so what routine can I do?

As far as routines, check out Mike Robertson’s “Designer Athletes” and Joe DeFranco’s “Westside for Skinny Bastards I & II”. Also check out everything by Eric Cressey you can get your hands on.

In terms of not having a squat rack, do your school gym not have one?

For eating, at your age, keep it relatively clean. Check out Berardi’s 10 Habits.

I’m not sure if I missed it, but what position do you play? [/quote]

I played cornerbacks but found that position to be very boring so I’m going out for defensive end.

cornerback to defensive end?? wow…haha why not Safety or OLB? i use to play corner and i moved to safety, and wow, what a difference i fuckin loved it…not so sure about a CB becoming a D-End but good luck

cornerback to defensive end?? wow…haha why not Safety or OLB? i use to play corner and i moved to safety, and wow, what a difference i fuckin loved it…not so sure about a CB becoming a D-End but good luck[/quote]

I want for tackles on the line to help my team out so i’m bulking like crazy. I like eat everything in the house.

[quote]xolk88 wrote:
IronWarrior34 wrote:
cornerback to defensive end?? wow…haha why not Safety or OLB? i use to play corner and i moved to safety, and wow, what a difference i fuckin loved it…not so sure about a CB becoming a D-End but good luck

I want for tackles on the line to help my team out so i’m bulking like crazy. I like eat everything in the house.
[/quote]

You said you eat <3000 cals a day. Thats not everything in the house. When I was a growing boy I ate double that and didn’t gain as much as I wanted to. Point being, “You THINK you eat a lot? Eat more.” Also eat right. Read through the nutrition articles. At a buck fifty, you are going to need as much muscle as possible to play d end, but you can’t afford to give up speed to get it.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
xolk88 wrote:
IronWarrior34 wrote:

You said you eat <3000 cals a day. Thats not everything in the house. When I was a growing boy I ate double that and didn’t gain as much as I wanted to. Point being, “You THINK you eat a lot? Eat more.” Also eat right. Read through the nutrition articles. At a buck fifty, you are going to need as much muscle as possible to play d end, but you can’t afford to give up speed to get it.

[/quote]

Get that posterior chain really strong.

You don’t need a squat rack. I know you have a bench. Every high school has a bench. Grab 2 other dedicated friends and have them lift that shit up for you and take it off of you after each set. Get 2 other teammates that want to improve and really improve so that you 3 can destroy kids on the field.

Sometimes you got to improvise!

Also you can do deadlifts, lots of types of deadlifts, learn proper form just the bar and add on light weights for clean and jerks. If you can’t get the form right don’t do them tho please ~ INJURY PREVENTION #1. NO MATTER WHAT - Repeat that mantra everytime, and make sure you warm up!!

For Junior varsity at 150lb you wont be incredibly small. Defensive end could work for you, but consider the advice for moving to saftey. At 14 you still need to be careful with the lifting, dont over do it. You are on the right track with taking protein, you dont need more than that.

Maybe BCAA’s if you can bump up you calorie intake, 3000 is alright but shoot for closer to 5G if you are really looking for some big gains over the summer.

Also since you are young, worry a little less about the weight you are lifting, first make sure that your form is “perfect” in all your lifts. As a D-back speed is really important so dont neglect power cleans they are a great all around football lift. And EAT EAT EAT!

Google Westside for Skinny Bastards. It’s not just made for skinny people. It’s good for all athletes but is pretty much the end-all-be-all workout for high school football players who want to kick ass. The workout doesn’t include any real Olympic lifts, which is good for you since all you’ll need is your squat rack and you won’t have bumper plates or a lifting platform at your house.

You might want to modify the workout by replacing the military press with the barbell jerk. Best of luck and remember that you can’t see your body’s strongest muscles if you’re facing a chest-high mirror.