T Nation

New Female PLer Needing Advice on Gear

Hey everyone. I’ve been lifting for over 10 years and finally decided to sign up for my 1st powerlifting meet. My 1st meet will be in October for the USPF and I plan on competing in the raw division. I checked out the rulebook but still have a few gear questions.

My Stats
5’9" - 165 lbs
Squat - 225
Bench - 175
Deadlift - 355

I currently use Tommy Kono knee bands which I see are allowed but I wasn’t sure if I could use my belt or not. It’s a pink Shieck women’s belt… USPF says nylon belts are acceptable but I’m not if my style is allowed or not. Anyone know? If it isn’t, I’d appreciate any advice on good belts.

Also, I have a pair of Rogue wrist wraps but I don’t know if those are acceptable either since they aren’t on the approved gear list. Was looking into getting a pair of the Inzer ones but wasn’t sure which line to go with, True Black or Iron Z. Also, would it be worth getting knee wraps even though raw doesn’t allow anything but knee sleeves?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but just want to make sure I’m legal in my 1st meet. Appreciate any advice!

Your belt is most likely perfectly fine. Pretty most any wrist wrap of normal length is going to be acceptable how ever I much prefer Inzers over Rogues. Also not sure about your particular FED but many do allow Knee Wraps for RAW. Like the SPF has RAW without Knee Wrap records and RAW with Knee Wraps Records. Awesome lifts by the way.

I have heard that belts that taper in the front, or taper too much in the front are not allowed sometimes, most of the time, not sure.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
I have heard that belts that taper in the front, or taper too much in the front are not allowed sometimes, most of the time, not sure. [/quote]

Varies from Fed to Fed.

Thanks.

This is the belt I have: 4 3/4 Schiek Lifting Belt

In the rulebook it doesn’t have anything about velco just prongs so I was kind of worried mine wouldn’t work. Hoping if it won’t someone there will let me use theirs.

I’m probably just being overly worried since it’s my 1st meet. Appreciate the advice everyone!

[quote]crystalrox83 wrote:
Thanks.

In the rulebook it doesn’t have anything about velco just prongs so I was kind of worried mine wouldn’t work. Hoping if it won’t someone there will let me use theirs.

I’m probably just being overly worried since it’s my 1st meet. Appreciate the advice everyone!
[/quote]

I dont think that belt would be acceptable.

[quote]crystalrox83 wrote:
Thanks.

[/quote]

Dear Lord…Take this opportunity to get yourself a good belt. For the same price you can get something that is legal and will actually help your lifts.

PS

Impressive lifts.

I agree with HeavyTriple. Without worrying about whether your belt is legal or not, get a better one just because it’s … better. Get a leather that is at least 10mm thick and NOT tapered. Whether it’s one prong, two prong or lever is simply personal preference. I happen to really like my Inzer lever, but there are several good options.

Since I really don’t need the knee wraps right now since I’m going raw and can’t use them anyways, I’ll probably just get a belt like everyone’s suggesting. Thanks for the advice! Really been working on getting my squat number up, seems to be where I struggle the most so definitely will be worth the investment.

The reason why your belt is illegal is because it’s 4 3/4" wide. PL rules generally dictate 4" wide max and up to 1/2" thick or 13mm. I’d recommend getting an Inzer forever belt, single prong, 10mm. It’ll last you the rest of your life IF you don’t outgrow it. A belt buying tip. You can always add holes and make it tighter but it is only as long as it is. Some brands have a larger adjustment range tho.

Good luck in PL Crystal. keep us posted.

Lots of federations also do not allow velcro as the fastening mechanism. Buy an inzer forever lever or prong as stated above. Wrist wraps wise, you cannot go wrong with Titan or Inzer. I personally use Titan THPs to bench since they are much stiffer than any of the Inzer line. I do however use the Inzer Iron Zs for squatting since I can cast my thumbless grip nicely. I have a pair of the Inzer gripper wrist wraps that are nice as well.

OP–great to have you aboard! welcome to the darkside! my advice for you is simply this: make sure you train your bench with a good.sized pause on each rep. a bench press won’t count if you press it up before the judge gives you the command to “press!” Likewise, it won’t count if you push it back into the rack before the “rack!” command from the judge. so practice those aspects.

everybody else gave you good advice on belts and wraps.

[quote]Curls4Girls wrote:
Lots of federations also do not allow velcro as the fastening mechanism. Buy an inzer forever lever or prong as stated above. Wrist wraps wise, you cannot go wrong with Titan or Inzer. I personally use Titan THPs to bench since they are much stiffer than any of the Inzer line. I do however use the Inzer Iron Zs for squatting since I can cast my thumbless grip nicely. I have a pair of the Inzer gripper wrist wraps that are nice as well.[/quote]

what do you think about the inzer gripper wraps? I have a pair of apt convicts that are just shredded and need a new pair, and more importantly I am looking for knee wraps–how do the grippers do for your squat?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
OP–great to have you aboard! welcome to the darkside! my advice for you is simply this: make sure you train your bench with a good.sized pause on each rep. a bench press won’t count if you press it up before the judge gives you the command to “press!” Likewise, it won’t count if you push it back into the rack before the “rack!” command from the judge. so practice those aspects.

Lots of federations also do not allow velcro as the fastening mechanism. Buy an inzer forever lever or prong as stated above. Wrist wraps wise, you cannot go wrong with Titan or Inzer. I personally use Titan THPs to bench since they are much stiffer than any of the Inzer line. I do however use the Inzer Iron Zs for squatting since I can cast my thumbless grip nicely. I have a pair of the Inzer gripper wrist wraps that are nice as well.[/quote]

what do you think about the inzer gripper wraps? I have a pair of apt convicts that are just shredded and need a new pair, and more importantly I am looking for knee wraps–how do the grippers do for your squat?[/quote]

Honestly I never use the gripper wrist wraps any more. I like my Titan THPs a lot more.

That being said I do have 2.5 gripper knee wraps, and 2.5 iron z knee wraps and Love the grippers. If you can get a tight wrap they are awesome. I am currently not squatting in wraps and am sticking to sleeves for now but once I build my raw squat back to over 6 I will most likely go back to wraps.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

what do you think about the inzer gripper wraps? I have a pair of apt convicts that are just shredded and need a new pair, and more importantly I am looking for knee wraps–how do the grippers do for your squat?[/quote]

Sorry to hijack OP, but I wanted to give my two cents on the above post. I LOVE the gripper knee wraps (haven’t tried the gripper wrist wraps). They work especially well if someone is wrapping for you. Or, maybe you’re a better “self-wrapper” than me. When wrapping myself, I tend to make a loop, then pull it tight so the material has to slip on itself on each successive wrap. The grippers don’t slide, so you have to get it tight as you wrap. But, that’s what makes them awesome. They don’t move! You get a really good cast feel, but not uncomfortable at all. They also give good pop out of the hole.

Thanks to both you gentlemen, I am probably going to get the grippers for knee wraps. I am wanting a very occasional boost/protection for my knees right now with my high frequency squatting. knees doing fine so far with mobility work, rolling and voodoo just want insurance in case of a rough week. Also I am planning to use them eventually anyways.

I really liked my APT convict wrist wraps. I think the grippers would not suit me there, but not sure what else to go for to be honest.

curls4girls, I tske it you never got my PM?

Negative, PMs do not work for me.