New Faces in Your Gym?

Resolutioners argh! As long as they are not curling int he squat rack, I’m ok with it. The dressing room gets a bit crowded :frowning: and many have no clue about gym etiquette. On the plus side, most are gone by mid February and almost all are done by March. I haven’t done flat bench this year, that is one free weight exercise they actually do, so it’s been Decline/Incline/Dips only so far.

More importantly, there are new asses in my gym.

[quote]PGA wrote:
More importantly, there are new asses in my gym.[/quote]

There is always a silver lining lol

[quote]InCorporeSano wrote:
OH yes…the annual rush. My gym is busy 'til March and then it tapers off. [/quote]

Hahahaaa yours lasts longer than ours. Ours tapers off big time after Valentine’s Day.

I always hate January! I have to fight for a stupid cardio machine. Lucky though most stay away from the free weights. Wohooo … home advantage there. Though the smith machine should have a “take a number” posted beside it. Thank God I don’t use the smith much. Just give me the plain ol’ squat rack thank you :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahhhhh… but it is nice to see people trying to better themselves. It is nice to see those who do succeed and keep at it. I was one of those in the January crowd once too… :stuck_out_tongue:

I get a little chill of terror when the New Year’s gym offers come in the mail every year, because I know that it’s going to mean another two or three months of National Bench Press Day and Curlapalooza, jammed parking lots, and packed locker rooms.

There was one kid last night who had both sets of 45 pound dumbbells. I couldn’t figure out why he needed both pairs, until I saw him set the first pair on end and stack the second pair on top… he was resting his dumbbells on his dumbbells, so he wouldn’t have to go to the trouble of actually getting them into position.

The guy trying to figure out why we had the arm locked down on the assisted chin/dip machine was a trip.

But the thing that really bothered me was the crowd on the treadmills. Not because they were annoying, or even in the way; I usually just grab an elliptical for 15 minutes or so after my workout. What bothered me was seeing all of these people trudging along, doing mile after repetitive mile, wasting their time. It bothered me to know that these people were maybe doing enough work to burn off the Snickers they were going to have on the way out to the car that night. It bothered me to know that they really, really wanted to change, that they wanted to get healthy and trim, but they didn’t have any idea about how to do so. It bothered me to know that these people wanted to change their lives, but to also know that by Valentine’s Day, the majority of them will have decided that it’s simply easier to give up, to settle for where they are, and die young.

That’s depressing.

Edit: Never mind.

You know, all these new faces at the gym are no more annoying than WE were when we were new ourselves.

The way I see it, yes it’s inconvenient, but these people are off the couches and working out - whatever that might mean for them. The more of them that have success, the less I have to pay for healthcare and the more FINE looking lasses I get to watch.

I don’t denigrate anyone exercising - even if the exercise is one I believe doesn’t achieve much result (like slow walking on a treadmill for hours). Because at least they’re doing SOMETHING.

Man, instead of the resolutioners thinning out, it seems it is getting worse.

While I agree that it is good people are off the couch and lifting, it is not good for me to wait for these assclowns to finish their squat rack curls so I can squat.

Or finish their dumbell curl set so I can get to the dumbell rack since they are standing over it curling close enough to the mirror to kiss it, or talking over the barbell rack so i can’t put back the 100 LB bar I just finished curling with.

More and more of these assclowns are showing up and frankly it ticks me off. I have absolutely zero respect for some clown curling 65 pounds in the squat rack when there are plenty of pre-loaded barbels for that purpose, away from the squat rack, and I am waiting to do squats.

And what, they are going to keep going to the gym for a month or two when I am in it for the long haul and have been there for months prior to them showing up?

When I was new in the gym, I stayed out of people’s way, and laid low, didn’t make much noise. I would never have felt like I had the right to occupy a squat rack doing curls when someone that has obviously put some time in is asking me how many more sets because they want to squat where I am curling.

They can go back to the couch and let serious people train. If they are serious, more power to them, and I welcome them.

That’s why I try and go at like 9 at night because not many people around where I live lift that late. But one time I had to go in at 6:30 and it was ridiculous. There were lines for the benches…but oddly enough the power rack in the corner was open…so I wasn’t bothered.

The gym I train at is a bit hardcore and to be honest any new people are stared at similar to the way the locals stared at the american tourists before they told them to stick to the road…

still though you always tend to get people who have had overly long layoffs returning in january with newfound zeal and passion until they remember why they had the layoff in the first place.

Gotta tell you it hasn’t been that bad where I am. It seems all the new people are all cardioholics and the free weight area has gone relatively unchanged. It is a pain when I’m doing my post lifting cardio though.

Mine didn’t even pick up come the new years this time around…I was somewhat surprised to say the least…usually you cant get near a cardio machine for at least 2 months…now I have no excuse (DAMN)

yeah it happens at mine too. i’m sure it happens every where. at least people realize excercise is important. maybe some of them will actually stick to it, and if they do, good for them.

The squat rack is ALWAYS empty…good for me as thats what I do 3/5 lunch time sessions.

I have one guy rest his barbell at the end of the rack as the pins stick out to do his bent over rows…you’d have thought he’d actually pick the weight off the floor. And he’s impressed with my legs and commented on it a few weeks ago.

It doesn’t bother me as I was a complete n00b also 6yrs ago prior to meeting my coach and competiting in Olympic lifting.

Koing

This is my first semester at a new school, so I guess I’M the new face.

But after being here a month, I can spot the regulars and the fakes, who probably won’t make it by spring break.