T Nation

New Faces in Your Gym?

It happens to me every year after New Years. From about January through February I see all these new people that almost always train half assed, and almost always stand around talking and getting in the way of people that are actually working out.

What about everyone else, is there a bunch of New people in your gym lately? I call them the New Year’s resolution crew. Without fail, every year they show up.

OH yes…the annual rush. My gym is busy 'til March and then it tapers off.

lol yea its only a matter of time till they say “this is harder than i thought, i think ill go back to eating McDonalds and watching judge judy now”

Dunno I havn’t been to my gym since new years.

I have been offshore, we have a decent gym here on the rig and hardly anyone uses it. pretty nice equipment, and almost everytime I work out i’m the only one in there. The few that do use it respect me, and I respect them.

That being said I’m sure once I get back to civilized world I will see those types of people.

[quote]vicktimised wrote:
lol yea its only a matter of time till they say “this is harder than i thought, i think ill go back to eating McDonalds and watching judge judy now”[/quote]

Tell me about it. I overheard 5 different groups of people complaining about how difficult and painful it was to lift weights.

It is difficult and painfull for those who dont know how to do it.

Then again I love the sore feeling the next day. It’s like a constant reminder of what I did on my last workout. I also like how the day after a workout I’m always so FREAKING HUNGRY. That also tells me I did something worthwhile in the gym.

I see a bunch of fat women waiting for their “trainers” to come and count their reps for them.

This will last a few weeks.

yep, always after new years. everyone wants to lose weight as a resolution. It dies down by end of january, or mid february. annoying as hell.

Now you know why I thank God for smith machines and treadmills on Thanksgiving. I never see them using free weights, so it doesn’t bother me.

Yeah, it’s universal. You could be nice to them. Some will get it with a little help, but most won’t. I always hope that my gym will make enough money to buy a GHR. The people that will leave aren’t usually using the free weights anyway.

Don’t complain. They’re paying for you!

[quote]TQB wrote:
Don’t complain. They’re paying for you![/quote]

the thing that gets me is people starting back who stopped at the end of the summer because x mas was coming ?!?!?

on the news here in the uk it said something like 75 percent of people joining in jan will have stopped going by feb

At UK’s gym (and Im sure most other colleges) its like that until spring break… ugghhh. Stupid frat boys.

The resolutioners (resolutionaries?) usually stick to the treadmills, hamster wheels and other silly cardio machines and stay out of my way.

Yea, I noticed the same thing. I would go to the gym and get disappointed after seeing all the cars filling the parking lot, but when I get in there, all the treadmills and bikes are used and the freeweight section only has the regular people in it.

I noticed this every January and then again just into Spring, they would come back. And almost all stayed in the cardio room.

But because I don’t play well with others and don’t like to share, I purchased my own squat rack and olympic freeweights, treadmill (for a few cardio days) and various other toys. Now I don’t have to share anymore, lol :wink:

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The resolutioners (resolutionaries?) usually stick to the treadmills, hamster wheels and other silly cardio machines and stay out of my way.[/quote]

I noticed this too. It’s my first New Years time at my current gym, and the only difference from any other time is it’s harder to find a hamster wheel to run on after lifting. It’s only the regulars in the freeweight area.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
What about everyone else, is there a bunch of New people in your gym lately? I call them the New Year’s resolution crew. Without fail, every year they show up.[/quote]

Wait for a couple of more weeks. They’ll be gone. Without fail.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The resolutioners (resolutionaries?) usually stick to the treadmills, hamster wheels and other silly cardio machines and stay out of my way.[/quote]

I thought I coined the term “resolutionaries”, but I see I was not…Fortunately I’ve got a pretty steady group in my gym and haven’t seen too many new people clogging up the works.

That’s why I’ll try to just go to the field house for the next month or two!