New Exercise Ideas?

ok I didn’t see the elbow bend on the first video

Sounds like you might have some type of exercise physiology in your background?

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
Sounds like you might have some type of exercise physiology in your background?[/quote]
Not a ton formally or university-wise, but you could say I’ve picked up a little bit about a little bit along the way.

Then how do you use it to program yourself?

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
Then how do you use it to program yourself?[/quote]
How do I use what, that exercise or exercise physiology?

I dusted that exercise off and brought it into rotation for a while last year, I believe, as part of an upper body day when I wanted a good bang-for-buck tri exercise that I hadn’t done in a long time. I worked it 4x8-10 and superset with hammer curls 4x6-8. I haven’t really used it recently though.

If you meant using exercise physiology to program, I don’t think anyone really needs a ton of in-depth physiology training to do basic effective programming. It can help, no doubt, but it’s more important to address the individual, their experience, and their capabilities.

The movement caught my eye because I had gotten back into pullovers in general, but if someone has on and off shoulder problems, then the California skullcrusher probably wouldn’t be a good call because of the ROM, even though it “should” be a great triceps exercise. Or if they were a total beginner who never lifted before, it might not be a good fit because it’s such a “big” exercise and a more “basic” close-grip press or extension could be more appropriate.

in a general pullover there seems to be a lot of people neglecting them for the most part that no body is really sure what’s the main body part being used. I feel it in the traps and back while my buddy feels it in his chest and sternum. I understand body builds play a major role in that, but even most experts say “Do pullovers” but never really say where it should be done for the majority any thoughts why?

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
I understand body builds play a major role in that, but even most experts say “Do pullovers” but never really say where it should be done for the majority any thoughts why?[/quote]
Yep, I have a few thoughts. :wink:

Long story short: Pullovers are a big exercise that use a lot of muscles, but you can “emphasize” lats vs pecs depending on what else you train that day, what variation you use, and (maybe most important) where in the workout you place it.

The lifter’s build does comes into play - limb lengths, leverages and all that - but that goes for any exercise. Some dudes are delt- or tri-dominant benchers, some are pec-dominant.

What I was getting at mostly was I read something from Meadows about a 20 rep squat program but when I got deeper it involved doing high rep pull overs after the squats where finished with a relative light weight. My main question was primary seeing why the pull over was getting so much love.

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
What I was getting at mostly was I read something from Meadows about a 20 rep squat program but when I got deeper it involved doing high rep pull overs after the squats where finished with a relative light weight. My main question was primary seeing why the pull over was getting so much love.[/quote]

Read the book “Super Squats”. The pull overs are actually for rib cage expansion, haha.

For that barrel chest right? haha

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
For that barrel chest right? haha
[/quote]

Actually yeah. You use a light weight and try to actually stretch your rib cage. It was premised under the idea that after the squats your ribs would be more prone to expansion. No real intent of actually working muscles with it.

I did it when I ran the program, mainly to stay true to the program. It was a pretty refreshing break after the squats.

When you did the program you said you stayed true so did you see any development in the circumference of the upper body?

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
When you did the program you said you stayed true so did you see any development in the circumference of the upper body?[/quote]

No idea. I didn’t measure it.

Pull overs just don’t give me that hard on im looking for. Its not like a heavy squat to me. might be because I hate the majority of upper body work or something else, but I would love to never have to done another day of flies or dips just to stay normal looking

Pullovers are a completely different beast, I agree. Treating them as a heavy compound movement can actually get you hurt, so I understand your sentiment. The good news is: you don’t have to do them.

True I get the option of which exercise I program in, but I would hate to miss a chance to gain from a move I refuse to do simply because it feels weird or awkward to do.

Pullovers seems to improve thoracic spine extention, which makes your chest looks bigger immediately after doing them. Wide grip barbell pullovers are like doing flies except it is with a barbell which is cool.

[quote]Gorillakiv83 wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
is that a DB press on a flat bench with palms facing inward and together
[/quote]

yes you press the dumbbells toward each other very hard throughout the exercise.
it burns man.
you need to have hex dumbbells to do that by the way.
[/quote]

I don’t have access to hex dumbbells (I train at home with olympic dB handles), but have been reminded how awesome this exercise is recently. Can anyone think of a way to have the same effect without hex plates? I’m sure there must be a sensible solution.

EDIT: Found a workable (ish) solution using bands to pull my arms apart