T Nation

New Excuse For Being Fat!

It’s not because they eat too much, it’s not because they are big boned… it’s because they have the FTO gene, or worse 2 copies of the FTO gene. This is great, now all the fat people in the world can just blame it on their genetics. Maybe they can be officially recognized as handicapped if they have the FTO gene.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070412/hl_nm/obesity_gene_dc

What does FTO stand for? Fun To Overeat? Filled To Overcapacity? Five Tons Overweight? Far Too Obese? Feed Ten Offspring? Find Those Oreos? Feminine To Ontarians?

[quote]pookie wrote:
What does FTO stand for? Fun To Overeat? Filled To Overcapacity? Five Tons Overweight? Far Too Obese? Feed Ten Offspring? Find Those Oreos? Feminine To Ontarians?
[/quote]

oh man that is just too much!!!
hahahahhahahahah

Fudge Time’s Over, (Bitch)

How about a dramatic plea for fatties?

Woman well over 200 pounds… Several posters claiming she is not fat… wtf happened to standards?

[quote]pookie wrote:
Feminine To Ontarians?
[/quote]

So much spite!

1666 was a long time ago, bud. :smiley:

– ElbowStrike

I watched that video and I could not believe some of the things I heard, while I certainly agree that if you are ok with being fat that is your thing and its cool with you, then congratulations on being fat.

But to suggest that because most people tend to gain back their weight or more after a few years of losing weight and due to that “success is a freak occurrence” was really retarded.

It takes a lot more than just losing some fat to keep it off the long term. Most people can go on a diet for a short period of time and lose weight. Just because most so called normal people statistically don’t manage to keep it off doesn’t mean its just some accident. It takes a lot of intentional behavior, habit, thinking, frame of reference, and lifestyle changes to do that, which a lot of readers here know about and went through. Thats why it really irked me when she said that. Other than that she can do whatever she wants.

where was all the fat people 50 years ago. i mean there was always the one fat kid in the class, but now being in shape is the minority. its now, lets make fun of that one in shape kid in the class.

[quote]JMac10 wrote:
where was all the fat people 50 years ago. i mean there was always the one fat kid in the class, but now being in shape is the minority. its now, lets make fun of that one in shape kid in the class.[/quote]

That’s too true. Fair enough to the fat people with the FAT genes but I mean, come on! Who are you kidding? How could anyone live with a body like that?! I just dont, and hopefully never will, understand it.

Sort your life out, be a better person, hit the bloody f***ing gym!

[quote]nascentbeing wrote:
I watched that video and I could not believe some of the things I heard, while I certainly agree that if you are ok with being fat that is your thing and its cool with you, then congratulations on being fat.

But to suggest that because most people tend to gain back their weight or more after a few years of losing weight and due to that “success is a freak occurrence” was really retarded.

It takes a lot more than just losing some fat to keep it off the long term. Most people can go on a diet for a short period of time and lose weight. Just because most so called normal people statistically don’t manage to keep it off doesn’t mean its just some accident.

It takes a lot of intentional behavior, habit, thinking, frame of reference, and lifestyle changes to do that, which a lot of readers here know about and went through. Thats why it really irked me when she said that. Other than that she can do whatever she wants.[/quote]

Thats what bugs me too. When I was overweight I didnt blame it on my genes. I was working too much, didnt spend enough time in the gym, and didnt tailor my eating habits to my new lifestyle. Simple as that. The additional weight I had was a result of my behavior.

But this woman wants people to accept that they are trapped in fat bodies. After all, if you have tried exercise and watching what you eat you must be out of options.

The funny thing is that Ive known several overweight people who have no clue just how much they are eating, and whose concept of exercise was one month at the gym walking on a treadmill followed by giving up.

I think most overweight people if they were to actually take the time to write down what they consume would be very very surprised by just how much they are putting in their mouths (Punctuated with the incredible overeating that happens during the holidays).

Its a lack of discipline for all but a very small minority. And that lack of discipline is making the planet ugly.

[quote]JMac10 wrote:
where was all the fat people 50 years ago. i mean there was always the one fat kid in the class, but now being in shape is the minority. its now, lets make fun of that one in shape kid in the class.[/quote]

Our genes are pretty much the same as they were 50 years ago.

What’s changed a lot, especially for kids, is the sitting down done in their lifestyle.

It used to be, if you wanted to play cops and robbers, you went outside and ran around the neighborhood with plastic guns. Now they put Grand Theft Auto 3 in their PS2.

Many kids go from sitting in front of the TV at breakfast, to sitting in class, to sitting in front of a computer to chat, to sitting on the couch to play videogames and then to bed. Add cola, twinkies and pizza pockets to the mix and you get the current lardbucket generation.

It’s not genes that are the problem, but rather Jeans. The backside of which see about 5 minutes of daylight a day.

[quote]pookie wrote:
It’s not genes that are the problem, but rather Jeans. The backside of which see about 5 minutes of daylight a day.
[/quote]

Daylight? NFW! You’ll get skin cancer!

[quote]adubswils wrote:
I think most overweight people if they were to actually take the time to write down what they consume would be very very surprised by just how much they are putting in their mouths (Punctuated with the incredible overeating that happens during the holidays).
[/quote]

Didn’t somebody do a study that showed when people write down everything they eat, they automatically eat less? For one thing, it makes them think about every single bite. Sometimes it just the thinking that’s enough to change things.

Fuc|< the asteroid theory, the dinosaurs probably ate themselves to extinction…they reached the top of the food chain, created fast food chains and then ate themselves into oblivion. Okay, so maybe they didn’t have KFC and there was a huge rock like in Armageddon and Deep Impact.

If you want to loose weight, you DO NOT need to excersize (so screw all those excuses), all you need is sufficeint caloric deficit. Granted you will probably look like shit with lots of extra skin and no muscle but it is as simple as caloric deficit.

If there is any new gene it is the “LAZY-WEEK MINDED” gene.

You can type “fuck”, it’s okay. No, seriously.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
You can type “fuck”, it’s okay. No, seriously.[/quote]

lol. you’ve made my day.

[quote]entropy_fx wrote:
If there is any new gene it is the “LAZY-WEEK MINDED” gene.[/quote]

By this do you mean people are lazy during the week or they are weak minded?

Both could substantially contribute to their excess fat. I don’t know about you but at work/studies during the week It’s such a hassle to get up… Saturday on the otherhand, i bounce out of bed. Can’t be wasting precious weekend time. lol

Ahh… Monday again. Sigh.

[quote]yorik wrote:
adubswils wrote:

Didn’t somebody do a study that showed when people write down everything they eat, they automatically eat less? For one thing, it makes them think about every single bite. Sometimes it just the thinking that’s enough to change things.

[/quote]

Haha. I wish that I didn’t care about my body so I could eat Domino’s all day, large coke’s and donnnuuttsss.man. that’s the life. oh and beer.

Oh well.

This is a first-hand look at people wanting to feel better for having become fat and useless. They want to have the blame taken off of themselves, and what better than to blame it on genes? Hell, that makes it seem impossible to overcome and thus being made to feel that it is more acceptable to become a tub of jiggly and ugly pudding-filled crap. Willpower must be in very short supply.

I think she has a point.

There are people that aren`t meant to be “thin”.

If they exercise and eat right they are healthier and more attractive than the average person, and that is enough for most people.

She is hardly a poster-child for Americas obesity epidemic.

She is even, dare I say it, attractive.

At least more attractive than a stick figure with fake tits and no personality.