New England Record Breakers

first off, a question, sorry if i am behind the curve here, but what exactly was the rules to this “RAW” meet? belt only, belt and wraps, , no belt and wraps, singlet only, no singlet, totally nude?

and also, the gear debate, even though i have participated in it quite a bit, is even to me getting old.

i have said this before, not sure on which forum, but this whole debate is a joke. it is totally laughable. the ONLY reason it is not a complete JOKE, is how slowly the outrageous gear has crept into the sport. over 10-15 years or so?

if not for that, nobody would take any of this shit seriously at all.

example, the world record in the shot has been 70-73 feet for years and years now. say some dude shows up at the next Olympics, with the weird looking shoulder and elbow contraption on, two or three guys have to help him get it on, AND then they have to help him get the freaking shot put to his neck form the extended position just so he can start the throw. and BANG, hit hits 80 plus feet. who is going to take that record seriously? nobody. after everybody including the IOC laugh their asses off, the record would be erased and the guy would be laughed off the ring.

same scenario in Olympic lifting, Hussein shows up at the worlds with a super restrictive body suit on, and BAM! he jerks 650 over head. LOL see how ridiculous that shit is??

that is my last post about gear verses RAW. i don’t fucking care anymore. PL has changed to the point it is barely recognizable form what i used to know.

that’s fine, i don’t want to be one of those old geezers that hate everything new, and constantly hark en back to the old days.

also, the strongest guys would still be the strongest guys, gear or not, i contend that the records being set today cannot be compared to the ones of years back, so in my mind, and any reasonable person, are not records at all.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
first off, a question, sorry if i am behind the curve here, but what exactly was the rules to this “RAW” meet? belt only, belt and wraps, , no belt and wraps, singlet only, no singlet, totally nude?

[/quote]

They were allowed a belt, wrist wraps, and knee sleeves.

I know Donnie didn’t train in the sleeves because he didn’t have any, but I don’t know if he picked some up at the meet.

Apparently Coan thinks some of the modern guys are stronger than those back in the day. It would be nice if he’d jump online and share some of his more postitive thoughts.

I should also point out that Donnie is a masters lifter (41 years old). Not bad for an old guy.

And I can only imagine what we’ll see from Siders in the future…he has 10-15 more years to get stronger.

Wow! Sounds like a great meet overall. Are they planning on making this more regular or was it a one-off event?

If they do make the meets more regular, I wonder how it will change some guys training since most if not all would compete in both gear and non-gear events.

Thanks for the comentary guys.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Wow! Sounds like a great meet overall. Are they planning on making this more regular or was it a one-off event?

If they do make the meets more regular, I wonder how it will change some guys training since most if not all would compete in both gear and non-gear events.

Thanks for the comentary guys.[/quote]

It’s not a one-off, this was the second one, last year’s was approx same time.

And I don’t think it will change the training of most of the guys. Mike Wolfe said he only trained for it for 4 weeks. Donnie did the Arnold and I think took a week or two off. That means he was training for this for 6 weeks, 7 tops.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
example, the world record in the shot has been 70-73 feet for years and years now. say some dude shows up at the next Olympics, with the weird looking shoulder and elbow contraption on, two or three guys have to help him get it on, AND then they have to help him get the freaking shot put to his neck form the extended position just so he can start the throw. and BANG, hit hits 80 plus feet. who is going to take that record seriously? nobody. after everybody including the IOC laugh their asses off, the record would be erased and the guy would be laughed off the ring.

same scenario in Olympic lifting, Hussein shows up at the worlds with a super restrictive body suit on, and BAM! he jerks 650 over head. LOL see how ridiculous that shit is??
[/quote]

now mike, we have played on this subject before.

gear has been a part of the sport since the begining. Whether its Kaz in a squat suit, Jim Henderson with elbow wraps or the mummies of the 1960’s wrapping themselves head to toe in bed sheets.

its not something that has happened over night in the slightest. There has been an explosion in gear in the last few years, but strangely enough that happened at a similar time as PL in general started to increase in popularity…

If you look at IPF, it pretty much is.

The new federations are NEW so they cannot be compared to OLD.

If we take two motor car racing sports. Formula one and A1Gp class. They both race cars, they both go around curvy black tracks, except they perform differently, because they have different rules altering performance. Same as powerlifting invovles the three lifts, and different federations have different rules altering performance.

WPO is not comparable to anything from the 1980s and never will be.

People complaining about gear use holding our sport back havent really paid attention to what has happened over hte past 20 odd years. people wore gear when PL was on tv, and people wore gear through the 1980/early 1990s when PL were getting mentioned routinely in the BBing press.

Sure Miller “may” squat 1200 and people bitch that it doesnt break big Don’s raw record, but comparing them is pretty pointless.

Compare like to like.

if Mike is squatting 1200 under IPA conditions, what are his competition doing, if hes the best out of that competition then its his record. if he steps under the same style of competition as big Don, then it can be somewaht comparable.

Comparing siders 970 in the IPF to Millers 1220 is pointless as well, jsut like comparing lap times in F1 to A1GP classes. Two seperate entities under the same sporting heading.

Great comparison!

It’s more like the IPF is a 5000m race. The IPA calls themselves a 5000m race, but it’s actually a 3000m race.

Just taking a dig on shitty judging.

beef

[quote]cycomiko wrote:
heavythrower wrote:

now mike, we have played on this subject before.

gear has been a part of the sport since the begining. Whether its Kaz in a squat suit, Jim Henderson with elbow wraps or the mummies of the 1960’s wrapping themselves head to toe in bed sheets.

its not something that has happened over night in the slightest. There has been an explosion in gear in the last few years, but strangely enough that happened at a similar time as PL in general started to increase in popularity…

PL has changed to the point it is barely recognizable form what i used to know.

If you look at IPF, it pretty much is.

The new federations are NEW so they cannot be compared to OLD.

If we take two motor car racing sports. Formula one and A1Gp class. They both race cars, they both go around curvy black tracks, except they perform differently, because they have different rules altering performance. Same as powerlifting invovles the three lifts, and different federations have different rules altering performance.

WPO is not comparable to anything from the 1980s and never will be.

People complaining about gear use holding our sport back havent really paid attention to what has happened over hte past 20 odd years. people wore gear when PL was on tv, and people wore gear through the 1980/early 1990s when PL were getting mentioned routinely in the BBing press.

Sure Miller “may” squat 1200 and people bitch that it doesnt break big Don’s raw record, but comparing them is pretty pointless.

Compare like to like.

if Mike is squatting 1200 under IPA conditions, what are his competition doing, if hes the best out of that competition then its his record. if he steps under the same style of competition as big Don, then it can be somewaht comparable.

Comparing siders 970 in the IPF to Millers 1220 is pointless as well, jsut like comparing lap times in F1 to A1GP classes. Two seperate entities under the same sporting heading.[/quote]

are you serious? did you read my whole post? i said that the reason that this stuff is even debatable nowdays is because it has slowly crept in over the last 10-15 years. i recently downloaded the douge young tribute, saw him do 700, 530, 700 with just a belt and ace wraps for his knees. the stories of the guys wrapping themselves up in bedsheets was a rarity, it was not widespread.

what yu said about not being able to compare the two, the race car analogy, i sort of agree with. on another forum i pretty much said the same thing.

i think for sanity sake, some big entitity like plusa needs to make a top 10 for each weight class, handicapping for gear. it can be done, just take the average carryover form guys who lift at RAW meets and geared meets, and devise a formula. if somebody does not like where he placed, he or she needs to either gear up, or go raw and see what they can do under different conditions.

the “Ring” magazine does the same thing for boxing champions and rankings, as they(boxing) faces a similar mess with al the different sanctioning bodies.

Got the videos up

Donnie’s 805

http://media.putfile.com/Donnie-Thompson-805-raw-squat-NE-Record-Breakers-5-6-06

Donnie’s 870 - you’re telling me that’s not deep enough?

http://media.putfile.com/Donnie-Thompson-870-squat-raw-redlighted-for-depth-NE-Record-Breakers-5-6-06

Donnie’s 800 DL

http://media.putfile.com/Donnie-Thompson-800-DL-raw-at-NE-Record-Breakers-5-6-06

Scariest moment of the meet: Mike Miller almost dumps 810

http://media.putfile.com/Mike-Miller-810-raw-squat-miss-NE-Record-Breakers-5-6-06

Sam Byrd’s 705 Squat @ 210

http://media.putfile.com/Sam-Byrd-705-Raw-Squat--210-bw-NE-Record-Breakers-5-6-06

I also have Donnies 775 DL, Siders’ 785 Squat, Byrd’s opening squat, Siders’ second bench (miss) if anyone’s interested, lemme know.

Jared, are your PMs working? I PMed you to let you know the format is asf, not sure if you got it. I also found the name of that cream I was telling you about, it’ll clear that herpes right up.

Thanks so much! I did get the PM, but for some reason I didn’t see that I had a new one. Sorry about that. Since they’re on putfile, I’m going to throw them up on Tommy’s board if that’s okay.

And I don’t want to get rid of the herpes…it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Yeah dude, absolutely put it up wherever. Record Breakers was some good stuff, and even tho i wish my vid quality was better, I just wanna spread these lifts around.

And when you say tommy’s website, do you mean fannon? or is there another tommy besides grow or die?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Yeah dude, absolutely put it up wherever. Record Breakers was some good stuff, and even tho i wish my vid quality was better, I just wanna spread these lifts around.

And when you say tommy’s website, do you mean fannon? or is there another tommy besides grow or die?[/quote]

Yes, Fannon’s board. People need to see that squat. :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

On one hand, I thought of NERB as a mere side-show compared to real federation PLing. I still think the real show will be seeing Brian Siders bench 800 in the IPF (in a single ply shirt) or Sam Byrd squat a grand in the APF (the heaviest 5X BW squat).

On the other hand, I still think it’s a cool concept- getting these athletes from different feds, taking them out of their usual meet element, and seeing what happens.

I hope they can pull it off again next year

[quote]Pinto wrote:
I still think the real show will be seeing Brian Siders bench 800 in the IPF (in a single ply shirt) [/quote]

hasnt that already been done? I thought Tiny benched that in his single ply rage x?

None of those links worked for me… I’m kinda bummed.

I believe you’re right. I think Kenta Sandvik might have done it as well. But, 800 presses in a full meet are pretty damn rare- even in APF and WPO. Seeing somebody do it under IPF rules is freaky as hell.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Pinto wrote:
I still think the real show will be seeing Brian Siders bench 800 in the IPF (in a single ply shirt)

hasnt that already been done? I thought Tiny benched that in his single ply rage x?

[/quote]

Would love to see Siders squat video, thanks for posting them.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

I also have Donnies 775 DL, Siders’ 785 Squat, Byrd’s opening squat, Siders’ second bench (miss) if anyone’s interested, lemme know.

[/quote]

Thanks for putting those up. If you have any more, please post them!

Nobody has done 800 in the IPF yet. The current IPF record is Siders at 351kg, and Kenneth Sandvik’s best is 345kg.

Siders has done 800 single-ply in the USPF, and Tiny Meeker has done it in WABDL.

I’ve seen Tiny do 820 in single ply Rage X at an APA meet in Houston.