New Dog Pound!

Canadian Terry Fox is my choice for the greatest athlete of all time. After losing his leg to cancer at the age of 18, he decided to run across Canda to raise $$ for cancer research. He insisted that all $$ go to research only, no administrative cost whatsoever. He ran, on one leg, a marathon every day, as well as doing luncheons and benefits every night. He never took a dime for his efforts and never endorsed any products. He continued to run after he knew the cancer had returned in his lungs, but had to stop 2/3’s of the way across Canada. He died shortly after, at the age of 22.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, without question. When I hear the word Testosterone, Arnold is the first man that comes to mind. Arnold is what inspired me to ask my parents for my first set of weights when I was 13. I read that back in his native Austria, he used to break into the gym on the days it was closed so he could lift. He went A.W.O.L. when he was in the military to compete in a bodybuilding competition - and won. Moreover, after he got out of the brig for pulling that stunt, the military ORDERED him to continue training because he was so good at it! The man is friggin awesome - period. He definitely gets my vote for being the best athlete ever.

Jim Thorpe
-Decathlete glod medal
-Pro baseball
-Football hall of fame

Doesn’t get any better
THe only person close is Bo Jackson - allstar in Football and Baseball along with a future college hall of famer
THanks
Adam

The others make great points. I’m kinda partial to
“Sweetness.” He grew up 50 miles from my home town, and some of his high school and college exploits are simply legendary around here. And yes his training was tough. He could often be seen running the steps at memorial stadium in Jackson long after practice was over. And yes, Mike was great too. He stimulated the economy more in the 90’s than the Clinton administration. But the most “Testoteronish” athlete of all time is unquestionably - Jesse Owens! In 1935, at the Big Ten Conference Championships, Owens broke three world records and tied a fourth, all in a 70 minute span. Then he went to the 1936 Berlin Olympics (commonly known as Hitler’s olympics). Remember here now that Adolf didn’t particularly like black people, and this was only 70 some odd years after the Emancipation Proclamation. Owens however (showing basketball size nads) went INTO Berlin and stole Hitler’s show. It is now known that Hitler had done everything possible (wink, wink) to ensure German domination at the Olympics that year, but he failed to count on a Black Kid from Ohio. Jesse won four gold medals, and pissed Adolf off so bad that he refused to shake Owens’ hand, despite shaking the second and third place participants. Owens had nads and they were big. He performed on a Championship level under the most impossible of conditions. He wasn’t the fastest, strongest, prettiest, most powerful, biggest, or most popular athlete ever, but he was the baddest, the best ever, and the most “TESTOSTERONISH!”

Boxing Champ Jack Dempsey. When times were tough, Jack was tougher; supposedly, for extra money, he would allow people to smash his face with a sledgehammer at circus sideshows. I hear he was a pretty decent boxer too.

How about the NBA player who is still a virgin? I can’t recall his name, he’s around 33-34 & still saving himself. WOW! These athletes get women thrown at them. But he says no thank you. He’s a real T-Man!

Bo Jackson. This guy did it all in an era before steroids took over baseball. He was an NFL All-Pro and a MLB All-Star in the same season!!! If not for his unfortunate injury he would be in the Hall of Fame for both sport–that is something most sports writers agree with. He could run, jump, throw guys out at home plate from the outfield wall, hit 500 foot homeruns, turn a corner at blazing speed and then run over a 260 pound linebacker, then outrun a safety. What didnt this guy do? He also showed great determination by overcoming a speech impediment and boy was this guy jacked and shredded… Bo Jackson is my vote for best pure athlete.

Rudy Rudinski…He beat all odds and took a pounding, but realized his dream. How many of us could do what he did. He had no talent, no money, just true guts and determination. If some of you don’t know who he is…rent the movie “Rudy”.
I think that he is someone all of us could relate to. Most of us don’t have the skills or income it takes to be an all american. Pure testosterone. Huge cajones. A true T-Man.

BO! Jon D knows as well as I that records were made to be broken and that’s why BO’s hip had to be broken.

Okay, I know this guy has already been said but hell i got to say it again. The greatest athlete in my opinion was Bruce Lee. The guy could kick buttons off shirts, do wrist weights with 40kg and throw 120 powerful punches in 10 secs; thats 12 punches a second. Not only that he introduced martial arts to the western world and was challenged many times and always came off best. In my humble opinion there has been no better martial artist or athlete for that matter, he was a freak!! Oh yeah and his movies rocked!

Hey you guys raise some good points…however…when I think of testosterone one man stands out alone…he probably cant run the 100metres in under 20seconds or even bench 200lbs…
yet he epitomizes the word “power”. He’s the Elephant Man of Eroticism, and the Mopey Dick of Dirtville. He’s the round veteran of over 1000 X rated performances…This man my friends is Ron Jeremy. The greatest “athlete” in our day and age.

120 punches in 10 sec. very doubtful. and maybe you should ask linda lee caldwell to release that 16mm film of bruce’s famed encounter with a kungfu master for teaching the round eyes their secrets. from what i hear it was pretty ugly on both sides.
if it were released, it would make alot of money, but would cast a long shadow on bruces legacy.

I would like to nominate Naim Suleymanoglu. Here’s a man who could Snatch almost 2 1/2 times his bodyweight and Clean & Jerk 3 times his bodyweight. In the recent US Olympic Team Trials, the top US lifter only matched Naim’s world record total from the '96 Olympic Games… weighing 30 pounds more!

He’s the only weightlifter ever to win 3 gold medals, he set his first world record as a teenager, and in 1986, Turkey paid Bulgaria one million dollars to allow him to compete for them after defecting. That’s a price that would’ve made most professional sports GMs quiver.

And in the end, when discussing “the worlds greatest athlete” in a magazine called Testosterone, shouldn’t you pick a man with bigger thighs than most bodybuilders twice his size?

Todd.

Naed,
That basketball player that you mentioned, the one who is still a virgin, his name is A.C. Green. He’s went Benson High School (same school I went to) in Portland, OR. When my basketball team would get ready for the playoffs each year, our coach would show old footage of his games. One of these showed him, during his senior year, scrimmaging against Portland State University’s (Div II school) b-ball team, and winning. The rub, he had only two BHS varsity players on his eight man squad, the others were all JV’s. Incidentally, he also has NEVER missed a game in his 12 or 13 year pro career, not one. You’re right, he is a T-man, through and through, by choosing his own path.

It’s definitely Carl Lewis. I remember that he has won a couple of Olympic medals :slight_smile:

Jim Brown, arguably the best running back of all time and he also was supposed to be the best lacrosse player ever had he pursued that avenue. He left the game early but still had the best size/speed ratio for his time of any back of all time. He was also a college letterman in basketball…

To Bodz- I second your vote for RUDY, his real name was Daniel “Rudy” Ruetigger, who busted ass in the late '70s to become the last person to be carried off the field of Notre Dame stadium. Can I get a hell yeah? Any ND alums out there? Class of 2000.

My testosteronish side wants to say Anna Kournikova b/c of obvious reasons. Then I would want to say either Jim Brown or Michael Jordan b/c of the utter domination they showcased in their respective sports. But when I think about it I always say that gymnastics is probably the most difficult sport b/c in spite all the athletic things people can do so few can do the things required of gymnasts. It is b/c of this reasoning that I would say that Vitaly Sherber was the greatest athlete ever. In the '92 olympics he won 6 of the possible 7 gold medals in men’s gymnastics and got a silver in the other event. The record for gold medals in an olympic career is 9 and this man came close to this total and probably would have broken it if his wife had not been bedridden in a hospital up until 6 months before the '96 games. When he began to train again he could only do 20 pushups and progressed back enough to win a bronze in the men’s overall. Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

Dan Gable. This guy was the greatest wrestler ever! He was UNSCORED upon in the Olympics. Wow. This guy trained like an animal, too. Anyway, he’s my pick-the greatest athlete competing in the greatest sport.

Its easy to pick someone who utterly dominated their sport, such as Micheal Jordan, Gretzky, Tiger Woods, or Bo Jackson. These guys were indeed great and will forever be enshrined in all of our memories as the greatest athletes in thier sports. To me being the greatest goes beyond utterly dominating a particular sport. Its easier to be the best when you face no adversity. Gregg Lemonds over coming cancer to win the tour de france shows me what it means to love your sport more than life itself facing that kind of adversity and rising above to dominate is what its all about.