New Diet Fads of Today

What does everyone think of all the new diet trends that are out now? Like vertical diet, carnivore diet, fasting ect

Do you think they are fads, marketing, just a way for them to make money?

I do use alot of Stan Efferding’s vertical diet methods, and I like it. but if you think about it, it’s basic nutrition and common sense

1 Like

Vertical is 100% marketting for financial gain.

That doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.

Everyone would do well with a basic nutrition course and a local farmers market and butcher.

1 Like

Vertical diet makes sense if you’re eating to support a 400lb bodyweight. No idea why so many folks NOT doing that are super into it. But probably the same reason the fat pad is so popular.

3 Likes

The fat pad is amazing! You shush your mouth!

For real though, telling people to drink juice for micro and phytonutrients just doesn’t make sense to me. Unless they can afford to have an extra 50g+ of sugar in their diet.

Makes sense to me for equipped lifting, since you’re going to be handling loads heavier than you could raw. I just see a lot of raw dudes who aren’t lifting that much weight that seem to like it, and I can’t figure that out.

1 Like

Honestly it’s probably just that I upgraded from 20 year old abused pads that were all smushed down to fat pads and have never gone back to anything but fatpads for 8 years now.

For narrow shouldered people they suck big time.

I’ve been benching on this for months

Setting some PRs too. Making me question the value of pads, haha.

2 Likes

It’s all in our head. Generally.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go that far since the basic principles are solid, but there is too much promotion of Costco, plus Cheesecake Factory and the blood tests are supposed to be done through a company which he is part owner of. But then there is this part:

Most people don’t have to eat more food than they can comfortably digest, so it just isn’t necessary.

1 Like

As for the original question:

Most of these fad diets are nonsense, the worst ones are probably the carnivore diet and the snake diet. Eat sufficient protein, regulate caloric intake to lose, gain, or maintain weight, and eat some fruits and vegetables, those are the basics and anything that isn’t meeting that is fucked up.

2 Likes
1 Like

That is what I’m saying.

Common sense isn’t that common these days

3 Likes

(100% opinion with no scientific backing here)

Humans are programmed to be energy conservative, to find the path to their goals (historically, food, shelter, reproduction…) that provides the least resistance possible. That’s why fad diets are so popular. What requires more mental effort, making a one-time decision to cut out entire categories of foods, or making an effort day after day to make sure the majority of your diet comes from a variety of (I hate this term, but for simplicity…) whole food sources? Fad diets trigger something deep inside us that makes them feel like they will get us to what we desire with less effort.

It’s the same reason so many guys program hop like crazy. Progress stalls or regresses, and rather than admitting that it’s related to the shit decisions they make the other 23 hours in the day that they aren’t training, they convince themselves that it’s the exercise selection, reps, sets, percentages, etc., that’s the reason they aren’t progressing. All they have to do is find that magic combination and boom, a new PR is sure to come!

Just go to any major general public facing website and look at the ads. “One weird trick to melt belly fat”, “The new superfood big pharma doesn’t want you to know about”. Shit like that is all over the place BECAUSE IT WORKS. We want so badly to believe all our hopes and dreams are just one small change away, because the alternative is admitting that it’s actually going to be a long, difficult road that requires a lot of discipline and consistent effort on our part.

END RANT

5 Likes

I’d agree. No diet is superior to another IMO and the best diet, damn i hate that word lol, is the one you can personally sustain. It’s a great tool to make money because “complexity sells”. Everything thats simple is getting thrown out of the window. And since people are lazy in general this shit works and folks make tons of money basically selling snake oil. No pun intended for Stans Vertical Diet, just in general.

My few cents.
Regards,
Bel.

3 Likes

I never purchased the vertical diet. I just use some ideas that I have read along with my own stuff that I know works for me

Vetical diet is identical to a diet called “The Perfect Health Diet” but upscaled in cabs and protein for performance athletes and bodybuilders.

The basic principles are the same which primarily focus on limiting “anti-nutients.”

If you take all of the foods in the vertical diet and cut back carbs to about 30% and protein to 10-20% and end up with 50-60% fat you get the perfect health diet.

It’s also pretty much the same as what Nake Miyaki has advised as an athletes diet. Warrior Fitness

Common principles:

1. White rice, potatoes and sweet potato/yam instead of wheat, corn, oats and beans.
  2. About 20%-30% carbs for no activity but adding carbs for training and muscle growth.
  3. Don’t overdo fructose or alcohol.
  4. Minimize linoleic acid, get a balance of omega-3 and get most fat from monounsaturated and saturated fatty acid.
  5. Plenty of low FODMAP veggies
  6. Animal protein from ruminants and fish and eggs rather than pork and fowl (less linoleic acid and/or more micronutrients).
2 Likes

is wheat still inflammatory, even if its not whole grain with no anti-nutrients?

why is the fat from ruminants “healthier” than fat from chicken, fowl, turkey and pork?

Im confused because a lot of people say that animal fat overall is “bad”. Besides raising cholestoral levels it contains toxins from the animals from the soil and the environment!?!?

I have not idea what the hell I should eat… everything is bad or not healthy…

Thanks

1. Response to wheat is very individualistic. Try it and see, or eliminate it and see, however wheat consumption correlates to autoimmune disease and inflammatory markers over rice and potatoes when other factors are controlled for.

2. Pork and fowl fat (especially as raised in America) have very high levels of linoleic acid which is the inflammatory fatty acid in the body. More than about 6-8 grams of linoleic acid leads to higher inflammatory levels. Linoleic acid also easily carries oxidative damage to cell membranes and linings of blood vessels.

The main sources of linoleic acid are corn oil and soybean oil, and peanut oil. It actually lowers cholesterol but that is not consequential. People with cholesterol under 170 die sooner than people with cholesterol over 220. Ruminants (lamb, cow, goat, elk, antelope, deer, bison) LIVE on plant fiber. They have a large hind gut full of bacteria that turn plant fiber into short chain fatty acids which enter the animals bloodstream and provide 70%+ of the calories for those animals. Pigs and fowl, rabbits and all other animals that we eat do not have the same degree of long hind gut digestion that allows them to store almost exclusively saturated and monounsaturated fat on their bodies. Saturated and monounsatured fats do NOT carry oxidative damage to cell membranes and blood vessels because they do not have many double bonds that can bond to oxygen containing groups.

3 Likes

So I´m better off eating the chicken breast instead of thighs with skin if I eat poultry/fowl because the fat of the skin or the dark meat contain more inflammatory linoleic acid which is high in omega 6? Is this a plain and right explanation?

And if I eat meat from ruminants like a piece of meat it doesn´t matter if its a fatty piece of steak like ribeye or a lean cut like filet mignon even if the ruminant is grain fed because they have the proper gut or digestion so that their fat is not “harmful” for us?

And why the heck is a higher cholesterol level like 220 better than 170? Everybody is talking about to lower cholesterol levels?

What fats do you eat daily? Do you eat fatty cuts of meat or leaner or do you make a difference between beef, pork and poultry?

Thanks for so much input and knowledge, very helpful and interesting